The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Has anyone ever used a "cane clip" for fast production? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
The cane clip would be like a ball clip, but for an appearing cane or wand. I am picturing a metal clip of adjustable width that could attach to the back of a table or tray, even pin under a hem. It would hold the cane compressed with ferrule open, so one side would be flat and the ferrule would stick through a slot in the other side, maybe with a silk folded or hanging... you could grab it in hand and be immediately ready without opening the ferrule or fumbling around with the silk.

Has anyone done this? got one? built one?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
This had been in my lecture since the 80's. I use a cotter pin on a safety pin.
This is a picture from my instructions when I sell my "flagtastick" effect.

It holds the cane under a jacket, in a box or anywhere you want until the cane is needed. the picture shows it holding a cane open with three silks attached to the end hole.
It is a cotter pin costs about .15 in a ny hardware store.
It has been used by everyone who has my effects including Jeff McBride.
------------
If you mount this on a table, I drill a hole in the table, and stick either the cotter pin or a 12 penny common nail thru the hole. Then I place the cane on the nail using the slide bar hole (not the silk attachment hole).
Again, I first did this in the late 70's. Some Argentinian dealers have since mentioned this method in the past few years (probably caught my lecture in Miami).

Click here to view attached image.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
More....
The cool thing is when you pick it up, and slide the cane off the rod, your fingers are all that hold the can from opening.
You immediately get to that position without fumbling to open the furrile.
Note: the photos are from the printed instructions included in my "flagtastick" effect. I also have a video that shows this as well.
This method has been part of the general lecture I do which includes canes and candles. Candle to silk to cane, cane in the air production, I also refer to it as a grenade cane production, when I attach a line to the cotter pin, I pull the line from a distance, and the cane appears remotely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9mQjn4Qu04

Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Wow thanks for this, the whole thing about releasing the ferrule with your thumb, having it drop down, then rotating the cane 90 degrees for opening in your hand was just not very practical. thanks again.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hi Bill,

Here's the holder I use on the back of my roll on table. It's a easy matter to drape the silks over the table and when picking them up, steal the cane. Of course you still have to unlock the cane, but, I thought you might be inspired further by seeing this one. I made this holder out of a wire hanger and screwed it under the table surface.

John

billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi john that is closer to what I was thinking of originally.

imagine holding the cane above with the tip against your thumb and the unlocked ferrule sticking out between your first two fingers. So your three fingers are holding it compressed.

if you had a metal clamp like that, you could just nab the cane and it would be ready to expand. bonus points for having the silk stored in a compartment on the right. I'm going to try to build one, I'll post a picture...
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
When I steal the cane, the release end is at my (near) my fingertips and the tip end is at (in) my palm. By squeezing the cane it releases the pressure and the lock simply falls open. That's if I steal the in the right position. Some times it's upside down and doesn't release until I roll it a round in my palm. Very akward to say the least. I like Ian's way above and will try to combine my holder and his pin idea. If I could steal the cane and it was already unlocked that would be great.

John

P.S. Ever hit yourself in the eye with a metal cane....you'll only do it once!LOL
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-11-03 10:27, billappleton wrote:
Hi john that is closer to what I was thinking of originally.

imagine holding the cane above with the tip against your thumb and the unlocked ferrule sticking out between your first two fingers. So your three fingers are holding it compressed.

if you had a metal clamp like that, you could just nab the cane and it would be ready to expand. bonus points for having the silk stored in a compartment on the right. I'm going to try to build one, I'll post a picture...

When you grasp the cane using my configuration, you actually pick it up with two fingers and it is ready to open. The clip, can be in your jacket or mounted on a table.

Truly a finesse move and there is no tell-tale cane opening motion.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi ian, your solutipon is perfectly elegant

but I want to leave my ferrule on & have silks attached to them

so I am looking at a slight mod
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The ferrule IS still on, AND the silks are attached.
-----------
I have more pics, but its a pain to post them.
Basically, take your cane with NO modification.
There are two holes in the ferrule (actually three).
The obvious one is the end hole where the silk goes.
-------
The next hole is the slide hole. That is where you straighten the ferrule out, stick the cotter pin, bobby pin or rod into it and then allow it (the cotter pin) to hold the cane from opening.
-----------------------
When production of the cane is required, you grasp as few as two fingers where the silks and hole is (upper hole). Slide the cane off the cotter pin, and now the cane is prevented from opening by your fingers. The transfer of pressure goes from the cotter pin to your fingers.
----------
It is elegant, as your palm is seen empty, the silks hang as if you are holding a silk or silks (it will not look any different if you did not have a cane.).
There is no movement as normally needed to release the ferrule.
Also, if you have the set-up mounted in the jacket, and you reach for the silks, it looks as though you merely took silks from your jacket as they hang so naturally.
------------
Oh.. the third hole which can also be used, is the rivet hole.
------------
There is an entire section on canes in my lecture DVD.
http://stagetricks.com/shop
normally $20, $10 for themagicafe.com members.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Oops, the Lecture DVD is at:
http://usmagic.biz/lecture.html
It says $25, it will be $10
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
Hi Ian, I am just wondering if for flagtastick you can provide with rainbow silk instead of US flag.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Yes, I can do that with any colors, I have also done it with several different country flags,
You would have to tell me what colors you want for the main silks and then
I would match the rainbow silk.

As long as its pure silk it will work.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Why not use the Johnny Brown Cane Production? Cone from thread or string spool, inverted in a table or box and an easy thread pin release on the flap cover. As cane shoots into the air you catch it. Instant production.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Ian,
Are you still selling your match pulls? Where/how can I buy them and your other stuff? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Most of my products
http://stagetricks.com/shop

shipping included

thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Has anyone ever used a "cane clip" for fast production? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL