The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Using tarnished coins for a specific effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Hi folks, I just got a couple of well-known gaffed UK coins delivered today, and I have been enjoying playing with them immensely. The thing is, I was looking for normal coins with the same dates to switch out and in, and I also found an extremely tarnished 1997 50p piece. Digging a bit deeper, I found another 1997 50p in good condition, and it got me thinking... does anyone actually use tarnished coins for an effect? Like, I suppose:

- an 'accelerated entropy' effect where the coin ages in your hand
- quite the reverse! the 'magic patina-removal' effect

It has sent me googling to learn a bit about numismatics anyway. Reading up on 'artificial patination' at the moment.
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
I like it! Thinking of a spellbound where the coin does not change from copper to silver but from new to old then back with just a few waves of the hand...love it!
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Cheers! Yeah, I think 'new to old' should probably come first, because it would probably telegraph what you're up to if you produce the tarnished coin first. I think there was some Marvel Comics character who had the mutant power to cause accelerated corrosion: can't remember the name though - I'll have to ask my comic-book aficionado friend. I'm thinking about other 'rusty gaffs' now... hmmm - cutlery? anything metal really - or other materials.
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
You might be thinking of Wither - decomposition of organic matter, I don't remember a character with the ability to corrode inorganic matter.
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
The 'Wither effect' or its reverse - that could be cool as well! I guess some special handling is needed for organic material though, so as one doesn't get rotten stuff all over the place, which wouldn't be too nice. Or something like... dessicated organic material? Like dried leaves, petals, etc.

Well, I'm sifting through my tubs of change to try and get a full set of tarnished coins now...
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
This has been used as a c/s coin for a while. My favorite use is explained by Mike Powers in his Power Plays book.

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Nice! Would make a great alternative to a coin bend, or an extra little something in a coin bending routine, I think. Likewise with forks and spoons.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-11-03 10:26, lithyem wrote:
I like it! Thinking of a spellbound where the coin does not change from copper to silver but from new to old then back with just a few waves of the hand...love it!

Been doing a coin polish wildcoin since 83 Smile
Got the coins oxidized by letting them sit at the bottom of a bottle of clear dipping type cleaner (like tarn-x) for a day or so. Then regular coin polish to make a c/s type gaff of one. It's so dark you can't tell heads from tails unless you're looking.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Using tarnished coins for a specific effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL