The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Gigmasters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Here's another key thing with Gigmasters. As I stated above, it's a lead generation source. Once you receive a lead the rest is up to you and how you choose to handle it. Many people, especially people new to GM simply bid on the gig and that's it. Wait for the phone to ring from the client. This rarely, if ever works unless your profile and demo blows them away or they are familiar with you.

What does increase your odds for getting the bookings is actually picking up the phone and calling them (the customer) direct as Gigmasters strongly suggests. The key is to do it early and right away, as ten or more others will be doing the same thing. They will remember the first two or so and any after that just seemed to get bunched together, you will only get their voicemails or if you do reach them they will only be very brief with you. However, you must remember they placed the listing in hopes of seeing if they would get any responses, so the first one or two people that respond are usually welcomed and anticipated and they are actually excited and looking forward to talking to you. This changes quickly by the third or fourth and subsequent calls and by this point they are feeling overwhelmed and had no idea the amount of calls they would receive and how much time and intrusion this would become.

There is no reason anyone shouldn't have at least mild success with GM if you follow exactly what I've outlined here. Anything less, you are decreasing your options of getting the booking. I actually have an office person who refreshed my email in box every ten minutes or so to keep up on incoming inquiries (not just GM) so we can get back to them immediately. I understand not everyone has an office staff to do this but simply program your emails to notify you on your cellphone or by text when you get an incoming inquiry and then jump on it.

The old statement "early bird gets the worm" really applies here. Of course other factors will come into consideration, experience, price or GM profile, etc. but at least you will get the chance to talk and pitch them direct. From this point on it seems that everyone else that replies is compared to you or the other first couple of inquiries, so getting to them early gives you a direct benefit.

So many entertainers hate using the phone, and with GM that's to me what really produces and converts the bookings.

The other good thing is even if they don't book you you can compile a list of direct contacts to target for their events next year and in years to come. This is excellent for corporate events, holiday parties and birthdays and anniversaries. I spoke to someone I met at a convention that saves all of the wedding contacts and files them away to solicit them for anniversaries, holiday events and other events in the future and he's making money off of leads that may not have panned out for him initially. Look at the bigger picture and possibilities. GM has value on several levels if you understand it's workings and utilize the many things you can take from it.

As I said above if you're thinking you simply list with them and you will get bookings just from bidding and potential customers seeing your profile, while it could happen, it's likely it won't. They don't represent you, you represent yourself through their resource. You are up against those that are truly working the system properly.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-11-26 12:43, ajsmola wrote:
I have been using the Gigmasters website since this past June, and I have successfully booked 11 shows since I started. I'll be honest though and say that I WAS charging less for my shows in the beginning, but only because I wanted to get my rating up to 5 stars.

I feel that the way the website works is that it almost forces people to charge lower than normal at the beginning in order to get a high ranking, and once you reach that point, then you can charge what you would any other client. I know this because now after having a 5 star rating for the past few days (and essentially a higher status on the site), I was able to book a corporate gig paying $800.00 no problem.

I think it's all in the strategy and how you use the site to your advantage. Of course I don't agree with charging $100.00 bucks for a show ALL the time, but that is definitely how you need to start in order to build up that credibility.

Also, I think one of the best things about that site are the testimonials you get from clients! Gigmasters makes it very easy for the client to respond about your performance after a show, and I have received some of my best testimonials from this site.

Alan

Alan and I are in the same state. As he mentioned above he was bidding $100 shows. That is why I only got a couple of gigs throughout the year from Gigmasters. I gave them up now.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Time to come on back Mike. You can take advantage of the 25%-50% off offer they will send you.

Mindpro I think the reason so many do not want to converse on the landline is once they quote the price, the client usually does not hear any more they have to say. Not all of course but at least with a quick email, it seems you are painting the pitch the proper colors before the curtain is lifted.

What I was doing with Eventective was calling the client and ask if they received my email rather then a sales pitch over the phone.

Decomp
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, that's also what Gigmasters themselves recommends.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yeah, you would also know just by their tone and/or silence if they were interested or not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Gigmasters (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL