The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Noob memdeck routines (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
I have memorised the Aronson Stack recently; the thing is that I am actually new to card magic as such, though I have a good memory and grasp of mnemonics, and have performed 'memory/math tricks' on a casual basis for some time. So the Faro shuffle and the pass, etc., elude me at the minute. I am working on my false shuffles, I have a pretty good double lift, but my Elmsley count is, for example, not yet something I'd dare to attempt in front of another person. So that's where I am at currently.

I am looking for tricks that have easy sleights yet also use the power of the stack. There are a couple of great ones on Dennis Loomis' excellent website. My question is: out of the Aronson books and DVDs that deal with memdeck effects, which is the most accessible to a butter-fingered card-fumbler like myself? Many thanks in advance.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
See "Hands Off Memory Test" on Bill Malone's Here I Go Again set. It's, um, hands off. Richard Osterlind teaches a number of cool tricks on vol. 2 of his Mind Mysteries series. However, I would strongly recommend you learn a couple of false shuffles.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Thanks Cain. I'm currently working on the first complete-order-retaining overhand shuffle mentioned in Erdnase. Next step is to get it so I can talk and look my interlocutor in the eye at the same time!
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
To supplement the Aronson / Loomis / Osterlind suggestions, can I also suggest you check out the entertaining Larry Davidson's 'Scripted Insanity' DVDs, which have some great memdeck (plus a little something else!) work. '808' is great.

Also check out Michael Close 'Workers' series. I'm a fan of 'The Luckiest Card In Las Vegas' which is a gentle introduction into estimation as well.

Best,
Charlie
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Cheers! Googling for it now... ah yes, that's available from UK retailers as well.
Michael G
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Michael G
Take a look at Simon Aronson's effect "The Invisible Card". This was published in his book Try The Impossible and is on Vol. 3 of his DVD set, Sessions With Simon. It's a fantastic effect for someone just starting out with a memdeck and I still use it.
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Thanks Michael. Out of the Sessions With Simon set, well, I would like them all eventually, but I think I shall get Volume 3 first.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2009-11-11 00:19, Michael G wrote:
Take a look at Simon Aronson's effect "The Invisible Card". This was published in his book Try The Impossible and is on Vol. 3 of his DVD set, Sessions With Simon. It's a fantastic effect for someone just starting out with a memdeck and I still use it.

Yep! "The Invisible Card" is definitely a winner. Not exactly self-working but the little "math estimate" required should come pretty easily.

IMHO, even easier are the two memorized deck effects on Bill Malone's "Malone meets Marlo" DVD set and a variation of this that Cain mentioned (i.e., "Hands off Memory Test") on Bill Malone's "Here I Go Again" DVD set.

Part of the fun in using memorized decks is sitting back and thinking how you can apply your memorized deck setup and your memorized deck knowledge in existing non-memorized deck effects.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Aye, the articles on Dennis' site are definitely "priming the pump" of my imagination too, to come up with presentations, variations, etc. Having read some very interesting material on the mathematics of the Faro shuffle, I'm also determined to master that someday! Even being able to cut off 26 cards would be a fine thing...
jake.o
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of jake.o
Hi, most of what is mentioned are dvd I was wondering what are some good books for memorized deck tricks.
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Jake, Simon Aronson has authored several books too, the details are on his website
http://www.simonaronson.com

Well, each book is highly recommended by those in the know. The reviews, both formal and informal, are universally great, so for me it's really a question of which to get first Smile

There are also great articles at http://www.loomismagic.com/memdeck.php a couple of which discuss tricks that even I could perform with my rudimentary ability at card sleights!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2009-11-12 04:18, jake.o wrote:
Hi, most of what is mentioned are dvd I was wondering what are some good books for memorized deck tricks.

Hi, Jake,

There are very many threads here on the Café on memorized decks. Doing a search on the Café under "memorized deck" provides this link to many of them: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5926260

I own all four of Simon Aronson's books and find many excellent effects in each. That said, each book seems to have one or two especially great memorized deck effects (or mem deck discussion)--each of which is "worth the price of the book". IMHO, these include:

Bound to Please book: Shuffle-bored effect (not a mem deck effect) and his preliminary treatise on the mem deck

The Aronson Approach book: Four Part Harmony effect, his Marks-a-Place utility move and his Simon-Eyes effect

Simply Simon book: Calendar Card effect, his continuing treatise on the mem deck and his Everybody's Lazy effect

Try the Impossible book: His inexplicable "Undo Influence" principle (including his Twice as Hard effect that combines the Undo Influence Principle with the mem deck). Simon also has an extensive section that contains a number of "Aronson Stack-specific" mem deck effects that maintains (or easily restores) the deck to mem deck order after each effect has been performed.

As futurist has suggested, go to Simon's site (www.simonaronson.com )and check out his books and download his free "Memories are Made of This" ebook. Also read the many articles and use Mark Harris' "Aronson Stack Quizzer" stack review interactive program

I have not read Juan Tamariz' "Memonica" book yet but, it comes highly recommended by many and is on my list of books to get.

Keep an open mind, read with thoughtfulness and contemplation and think about ways to utilize the principles you learn by incorporating them into other effects--including those you create.

Have fun in your quest in this never-ending adventure.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Mike, you hit the nail! Thank you, couldn't have written it better. Also Dennis Loomis site is excellent. Get "Mnemonica" and you are complete, then develop your own stuff. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2009-11-13 02:28, JanForster wrote:
Mike, you hit the nail! Thank you, couldn't have written it better. Also Dennis Loomis site is excellent. Get "Mnemonica" and you are complete, then develop your own stuff. Jan (Emphasis supplied by Turk/Mike)

Thanks for your kind words, Jan. Every once in a while, I get lucky. (Seems to have something to do with the "lining up of the planets" that occurs once every millenium or so.)

Best,

Mike

P.S. And, I agree with your comments on the Dennis Loomis site. Man! What a labor of love that site is. A quick series of Atta-Boys for Dennis.

Eschew obfuscation.
jake.o
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of jake.o
Thanks for the advice on the books, I will buy buy one of them when I have money availiable.
MemDeck329
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MemDeck329
For false shuffles and cuts, you can't go wrong with Bill Malone's "On the Loose", Volume 1. Study the explanations for "Sam the Bellhop". It's all there.

When done well, the Zarrow Shuffle is incomparable. I've been doing it over 30+ years.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Noob memdeck routines (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL