The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Help with my new Johnson brass cups (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Is there a "downside" to clear-coating cups? I'm particularly wondering about issues such as would the cup finish be more easily vulnerable to either chipping or being scratched.

And, is clear coating subject to prohibitions on what can be used to clean the clear-coat surface. (i.e., just use soap and water, no polishing products that contain petroleum distillates, etc.)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2009-11-17 12:53, Tom Fenton wrote:
A warm welcome back to you Jake.

You've been missed my friend.

Tom

Thank you Tom Smile
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
What Tom Fenton said.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2009-11-17 13:45, Bill Palmer wrote:
What Tom Fenton said.

Thanks Bill. Was good speaking with you last night.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Jake who? Smile

Miss ya bro, I'll try calling over the coming weekend when I get back in town!
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2009-11-17 14:33, MickeyPainless wrote:
Jake who? Smile

Miss ya bro, I'll try calling over the coming weekend when I get back in town!

Looking foward to it!
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
The cups to keep an eye out for are the Foxy 3's....as others would say "YUMMY"

I'd say it too Jake!
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Jojo,

I do understand that we all have our personal preferences when it comes to the finish of our cups and props in general. I suggest you keep them as is. This way you can always have the option to polish the cups or let it age naturally. I personally think that Brass, Copper or any material for that matter, should stay the way they are. This is how they acquire their soul.... aside from the magic that you put in it through practice and performing.

Just my 2 centavos and just my opinion. In the end.... it is still what makes you happier in magic. For it is through this happiness that we are able to impart it with our audiences.

Cheers and Mabuhay from manila!

rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2009-11-17 13:17, Turk wrote:
Is there a "downside" to clear-coating cups? I'm particularly wondering about issues such as would the cup finish be more easily vulnerable to either chipping or being scratched.

And, is clear coating subject to prohibitions on what can be used to clean the clear-coat surface. (i.e., just use soap and water, no polishing products that contain petroleum distillates, etc.)

There is always the chance of scratching if the tolerences are tight on the cups, but it would most likely appear around the shoulder beads if anywhere. Chipping should not occur if the cups are properly clear coated.

Mild soap will work just fine. Never use polishing compounds on clear coated cups.

Hope this helps some Turk.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I'm with Rannie. Letting the patina build also allows for more presentation angles about the cups being "antiques" or handed down from a parent or grandparent, etc.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I agree, Scott, as far as copper is concerned, but I'm not keen on brass that way. I LOVE the patina on my Sisti's and take full advantage, too, by using really bright final loads:

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv158......oads.jpg

Bri
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Jake,

You're very welcome, my friend.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Hi Jake: Welcome back. I hope you're well.
Fortasse
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Well Gentleman,

I visited a metal plater yesterday, and he basically told me not to clear coat them, but rather polish them when needed. He would not guarantee the clear coat process, and then quoted me a very high price to discourage me from getting them done. $120 for 3 cups.

I'm now looking at the Renaissance Wax.

Thanks so much for everyone's input so far.

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
JoJo… I have had my Johnson Product set for many years; I like to keep them polished. I first use BRASO, then McGuire’s automotive wax. I have had no harm to the Cups.

Good luck,
Bruce
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Jo Jo ,
I would also discourage Clear coating, though I have been told about Clear Anodizing that will not chip.

I can say for certain that Clear Coat will chip no matter how high quality it is.
I have two sets of cups with clear coat on them, and I use them often. The newer cups I got have more chips than my older cups, and I used my older ones more.

Polish them when needed, it doesn't take that much time to do so.
My advice,
Mike
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you must clean the cups, do a search on cleaning brass cups in the general search area. I have posted a number of ways to clean brass and copper without harming either metal.

Brasso does have some abrasive in it. You would probably have to polish a set of cups every day for about a decade to do noticeable harm to them with brasso, though.

Nev-R-Dull is good. Flitz is also very good, and it contains a wax component that will keep your cups from tarnishing for a while.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2009-11-17 16:51, Mad Jake wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-17 13:17, Turk wrote:

There is always the chance of scratching if the tolerences are tight on the cups, but it would most likely appear around the shoulder beads if anywhere. Chipping should not occur if the cups are properly clear coated.

Mild soap will work just fine. Never use polishing compounds on clear coated cups.

Hope this helps some Turk.

That helps a lot, Jake. Thank you for the info. I hope that your health is improving-particularly since you shed that murderous machine shop schedule and regimen. Please give Jake Jr., Epiphany and Marcy a big thank you from me (and, I'm sure, from all of the RNT2 regulars) for all of their help during the business transfer and the tying up the loose ends. You and your family are tops.

Best regards,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Help with my new Johnson brass cups (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL