The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Houdini Museum in Appleton, WI shows too much? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Otis Day
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
150 Posts

Profile of Otis Day
This may be the wrong forum for this, but this is about the only one I visit. The Houdini Historical Society in Appleton, WI will soon have Metamorphasis on display for all to see and actually participate in the trick. If this bothers you, please take the time to email or call (be polite and professional please) and let them know. Here's the link with contact info. I read this first in the Appleton Post Crescent paper last week. This link is from a local kids/strolling magician in Appleton. Thanks.

http://www.abramagic.com/index.html
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
I sent Ms. Bergan a letter asking her to reconsider and naming reasons why this would be a very bad thing to do. Like Otis said though, be nice and respectful.

I encourage all others to follow the link and send a letter to Terry Bergan.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Just noticed this here.

(I posted the same info over in the All Tied Up escape forum on Magic Café.)

I hope that they will hear from a lot of magicians.

How widely known are the plans of the Houdini Historical Center? Most magicians I've talked to seem unaware that this is being planned. Could S.A.M. do anything to generate a larger, more organized calling and mailing campaign to petition the museum not to expose the workings of the Metamorphosis illusion ?
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Here's the email for you lazy folks:

terry@foxvalleyhistory.org

Lee
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I received notice of this through an e-zine I subscribe to:
Here are 3 addresses that you can email to regarding this (be pleasant!!!):

terry@foxvalleyhistory.org
lpeters@foxcities.org
jennifer@appletondowntown.org

These people have various roles in creating this exhibition.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Thanks Chris!

To all:
BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL if you mail them. They have received many angry/mean letters concerning this. This will only detract from our efforts.

Here's the link to the discussion in the other forum too.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=18
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Is it True that Sid Radner is moving all the stuff to Vegas?
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Yes, Sid Radner is removing his stuff from the Houdini Museum in WI. I'm not sure about the move to Vegas or not. I'll have to check with my "source." Smile

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Yes!
Definitely!

Lets all get our undies in a bunch over this relatively obscure museum with few visitors other than magicians. If we tell them NO often enough we may be able to catapult this thing over the top.

We could get them tons of publicity. Houdini would have enjoyed that. Photos in the local paper of sacks and sacks of irate letters from unknown and mysterious magicians. "I always knew those guys had something to hide" Tons of e-mails too.

Who knows that kind of publicity could even help make it to the major wire services. Maybe even the, dare I say it? THE NEW YORK TIMES, that bastion of information, the official paper of record. At least I think we said bastion.

If we make it loud enough and long enough we could easily make that silly Fox masked thing look like a walk in the park.

That'll fix em good.

Seriously guys and gals, this thing keeps getting stirred up in various magic forums. I just want you all to think about this... remember that our art has remained strong and hidden for thousands of years because of its secrecy - maybe we need to apply that same notion to the Wisconsin museum - let's not say anything and let its whereabouts continue to remain a secret.

A little misdirection goes a long ways in keeping something hidden we don't want known.
If I learned anything in forty years of magic I learned this. People look where you look. Personally, I'm not going to look there - is anyone with me on this?
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
mnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mnmagic
Look where???
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Anyone else hear more on this problem that is going on. I heard that two professional magicians talked to her for a long time discussing it. Don,
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I believe Frank Tougas makes a very good point.

The "Problem" of EXPOSURE is a tricky subject. (pun intended Smile )

Anyone who sells magic tricks/books/videos exposes secrets.
I believe the standard defense for this form of exposure is that it's acceptable to sell secrets because the purchaser will value them and in turn be less likely give them away.

Magic books in the public library expose secrets.
This is deemed acceptable because the effort of obtaining a library card, searching through the stacks and then actively reading the books demonstrates a level of commitment that makes the initiate worthy of possessing the secrets.

The Houdini Historical Center at the Outagamie Museum in Appleton, Wisconsin is a place of learning, like a library. They charge an admission fee to the exhibit. And for goodness' sake, look where Appleton is on the map! This is a small town in the middle of nowhere! Apart from the local and surrounding communities, the only people who are going to visit this museum are the hardcore Houdini/magic enthusiasts. That would be you and me.
I am an amateur, and Metamorphosis is the only large stage illusion I perform. (I have a video clip of it on my website) I do not think that people visiting this museum and getting to participate in a display version will ruin this effect. Nor will it kill magic. This is a very old illusion, and while it is still widely performed, most serious workers have changed it or enhanced it with enough other bits of business that this will have little impact on their livelihood.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I see the point Frank and Scott. Thanks... Never really thought of it that way.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Scott this is a pretty big city that Appleton is in, not a town. It may be called a town, but if you see it, it is a good-sized city. I'll say it is like a Tourist town, and where the museum is located is in a busy part of the city. I hope they don't reveal the secrets because by doing that, it takes the fun/mystery out of how something is done. Don,
jcvelbar
View Profile
New user
South Florida
50 Posts

Profile of jcvelbar
Thanks for the heads up.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Donster,
The 2000 census for Appleton puts the population at roughly 70,000. When the Green Bay Packers finish their current renovation project of Lambeau Field Stadium this fall, they will be able to fit all of Appleton inside of it. Roughly the same size as Bellingham, WA (where I live), Appleton sounds like a good-sized town to me, not a big city.

Speaking as a magician who has actually built and performed a standard presentation of this illusion, I don't think it's inclusion for patrons of the museum to explore and learn will take the fun or mystery out of well presented and original adaptations of Metamorphosis.

Last night I was fortunate enough to see Greg Frewin's amazing adaptation of Metamorphosis he calls "Shrouded Transition" at the PCAM convention. An intimate knowledge of the basic Metamorphosis did not spoil it for me in the least.
Smile
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Update on this: I talked to Terry. As we get geared up for Houdini Days they are also gearing up for the protesters.

Bits of news for those who are planning to go there and be rude or protest etc.

1) Terry will not be there she will be out of the country.

2) Friday before everything starts there is going to be a conflict resolution meeting to resolve the problem, so it will have been taken care of before the convention and protests even starts.

Shawn
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This problem appears to be returning. Waiting has not worked. Here is the current thread.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
I think Scott is right about dealers and the like, magis say we can't tell secrets, but we can buy them... Most of us could honor magic in the following way: Practice your craft to be the best you can.

I have a guy who does the ID who comes to a reaturaunt I work at and he says even though he knows how it is done he loves my presentation. I know how metemorphisis works but still love seeing it performed well. I also know how a back flip is done but still love to see it done..

My 2 cents...jeff
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
It is often bad to get non magicians involved in the inner workings of our craft. They never respect it as we do or should.

Dick Brooks and Dorothy Dietrich
Houdini Museum, Scranton, PA
New show, "HAUNTED!"
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Houdini Museum in Appleton, WI shows too much? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL