The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Stone Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Anyone else try out this very, very nice production of a coin from Downs palm?

I am constantly amazed how well David Stone performs this. Amply named, the "Stone Production", I'm not sure if he invented it but it looks sick when he does it. I began practicing it yesterday non stop, like 5 hours a day, just obsessed with it to get it down well, and I'm finding similar to the four coin roll down flourish this is a tough one to nail quick. It took me months of constant practice to get a good four coin roll down flourish, and I think this is going to be the same here.

How the heck does David Stone perform all of those tricks flawlessly? I mean most people would be satisfied to master one of those tricks in both volumes and would be pleased as punch to do it as well as stone in just one of those routines, but heck stone has mastered them all. Simply amazing.

Anyway, sorry off topic. Anyone else do this Stone Production?
I was thinking I could do a downs palm vanish while throwing the hand up in a tossing motion, show the hand empty ala David Stone production, produce the coin from the fingertips then go into a routine with it or more coins.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2009-11-22 02:06, Strange Tasting Fish Sticks wrote:

I am constantly amazed how well David Stone performs this. Amply named, the "Stone Production", I'm not sure if he invented it but it looks sick when he does it.

I'm guessing (really hoping!) that you meant to write "slick" there? hehe

Jim
LoyaLover
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of LoyaLover
I do the Stone's Production. Not on a regular because its not an entirely practical move. You actually need to have it just at the right angles for the effect to be impactful. Its pretty much a magician's fooler.

I obviously don't do it as well as David Stone, but I dare say that I got the hang of it.

Quote:
How the heck does David Stone perform all those tricks flawlessly?

I always had the same question. So many are learning his wipe clean (by Ammar) yet no one does it half as well as him. I guess it not only takes a lot of practice and years of experience. It also takes, a **** lot of talent.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Totally agree as to David Stone, a remarkable coin worker. There are levels to all this stuff and he is one of the higher ones for sure bar none. I like the fact that he mixes in so many other clever elements into his coin routines. His One Coin Routine is brilliant.

If I may, I'd like to make a point as to the better understanding of expertise. Stone is a great example. If you watch closely as he CP you will see that his pinky always hooks outward, it's actually very noticeable once you zero in on it. To most this is a dead give-away but with Stone it is hardly noticed. Why? Because he better understands what you see and how you see it. So a less than perfect execution of CP is of little importance within the flow of what he's doing. Your mind will not be able to dwell on how well he did his CP, it doesn't even matter in the larger scheme of things, it is just one minute step within the brilliant pictures he paints.

I know fish here really dwells on the perfect CP or just getting one that appears pretty good. My point here is that it doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be effective within the naturalness of the hand for the seconds it is in focus to specs. Even a bad CP flies by most specs as most specs are not magicians, I'd say 99% of the time. So just practice it to be the tool that it is, not an art form.
Just my 2 cents.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2009-11-22 03:51, J-Mac wrote:
Quote:

I am constantly amazed how well David Stone performs this. Amply named, the "Stone Production", I'm not sure if he invented it but it looks sick when he does it.

Jim

Sick is another term for cool, awesome, etc..

I have personally seen your Stone Production and think it's coming along nicely. I really do like it.
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 02:09, LoyaLover wrote:
I do the Stone's Production. Not on a regular because its not an entirely practical move. You actually need to have it just at the right angles for the effect to be impactful. Its pretty much a magician's fooler.

I obviously don't do it as well as David Stone, but I dare say that I got the hang of it.

Quote:
How the heck does David Stone perform all those tricks flawlessly?

I always had the same question. So many are learning his wipe clean (by Ammar) yet no one does it half as well as him. I guess it not only takes a lot of practice and years of experience. It also takes, a **** lot of talent.

While I agree with you on the angles, you get get pretty good angles doing it if you tilt your hand slightly down and back. I've found it looks better from a couple feet away then just in front of your face 2 inches, better angles too.

Sheesh, I just realized... I posted this thread a month ago. I thought I had only practiced the move for a couple weeks but its been a month! Still not quite as good as Stone's but its getting close!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 09:42, lorenwade wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-22 03:51, J-Mac wrote:
Quote:

I am constantly amazed how well David stone performs this. Amply named, the "Stone Production", I'm not sure if he invented it but it looks sick when he does it.

Jim

Sick is another term for cool, awesome, etc.

Yep - I finally realized that after seeing it posted elsewhere. Hey, I do catch on to the latest l33t speak eventually! But you have to give me a little bit of a break - after all I am an old fart!

Thanks!

Jim
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
The very fact you know what 1337 speak is, leads me to believe you're pretty quick at catching on. Smile
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
David Stone once wrote in a lecture notes, can't remember which one, or was it an interview in a magic magazine...?
Anyway, he said that before presenting a new move or routine to an audience he would practice it hundred times in a row, restarting everytime he missed.
So when he got it a hundred times in a row perfect he knew it was perfect to be used in front of an audience.

Oliver.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Yep, that's a good rule Oliver.

Mb, you're right, we tend to obsess on minutiae and not see the big picture.
As long as it looks relaxed the audience never sees. I'm not familiar with Stone's coin work so I'll have to see what you guys are talking about.

J-Mac, I hope you didn't send Ponta a Get Well card when his DVD came out. Smile
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Stone Production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL