The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Looking to find a certain trick, need a name. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Preston Burt
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Preston Burt
I saw a magician a couple months ago who did a bunch of stuff with ropes, but the trick that really looked good to me, I can't find.

I am sure there are many different versions/methods, but this magician had a length of rope that he placed behind his waist. Holding the rope close to his sides, he asked for two people to hold the very ends of the rope to make sure he was using only one rope. He then pulled the rope, and it appeared to slice through his middle coming out whole on the other side.

I have Abbott's Rope Magic Encyclopedia (vol 1), but I couldn't find it in there (unless I didn't look hard enough). If anyone knows the name of this trick, or where I could find it, I would be appreciative. Thanks
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
Oddly enough it is commonly called "Rope through Body" Smile And it may be found many places done many ways as I am learning. By itself Mier Yedid offers a version, but you can also get it on The Creative Magic of Pavel DVD (gimmicked version), and I am told that you may find an ungimmicked version of it on Flips and Daryls video's as well.

you might also want to check out Aldo Columbini's video's for a rope through neck.
that magic is an art, and an art worth your learning. The question is rather, whether you be capable of learning it? Magic is somewhat like poetry, men are to be born so: I mean, with inclinations to it, though both may be heightened by discourse and prac
Preston Burt
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Preston Burt
What an unusual name for such an effect! LOL! thanks for the point in the right direction. I had been looking for an excuse to get flip's dvd, and now I have one!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I would suggest that the described trick is Bob Sheets' "Hang 'Em High."

0pus
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Preston,

I have to agree with 0pus. The trick, as you described it, is definitely Bob Sheets' Hang 'Em High. It is an excellent closer to any rope routine you currently do. Track it down you will not be disappointed.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
It's in just about every general magic book printed.

Mark Wilson has a version where you have a jacket on and the ropes through the sleeves.

It is a good trick and should not be too hard to find.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
I forgot to mention the Bob Sheets' version (Hang Em High) was written up in MAGIC a bit back. It is also available from dealers set up and ready to go.

It is one of the most visual rope through body penetrations I have ever seen.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
It's the same principle as 'Grandmother's Necklace' which you may find in the book you already have...
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Although the Grandmother's Necklace effect is a way to achieve a rope-through-body effect, Bob Sheets' "Hang 'Em High" does not use the same principle. Sheets' effect looks much cleaner than the Grandmother's Necklace, and uses only a single rope.

0pus
Preston Burt
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Preston Burt
Thanks again for all the help. David, would you recommend making it myself or getting it already set-up from a dealer? I thought it was a great trick, and would love to end my show with it. Thanks fellas!
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
It may be easier to just order it. Otherwise, you have to track down the correct size rope that matches the gimmicks, etc....

For the price, I would just order it.
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
Which issue of Magic was it written up in?
that magic is an art, and an art worth your learning. The question is rather, whether you be capable of learning it? Magic is somewhat like poetry, men are to be born so: I mean, with inclinations to it, though both may be heightened by discourse and prac
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Looking to find a certain trick, need a name. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL