The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 13 Steps to Mentalism DVD, favorite tricks left out? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevin Gardner
View Profile
Regular user
Richboro, PA
177 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gardner
The recently released Richard Osterlind DVD of Corinda's, "13 Steps To Mentalism" is just amazing! Unfortunately the six disc set only covers about 1/3 of the tricks in the book.

Does anyone have any effects they would have like to seen on the DVD? Were any of your favorites missed?
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Good heavens

only 1/3 of the effects??????

With all due respect and firstly;

Never has there been released a 6 disc mentalism series with this many effects, and even though someone might feel to "missing" something, Richard has done a great job in picking the best imho.

These effects illustrates in a great way the various steps.

Secondly, and even more important,
Even though there is wonderful effects in the book and on the videos too, they are not in my opinion most important here.

The interviews and discussions are, and if you listen to, and study them, you have a more than good enough platform to chose, study and develope for your own use the other effects.

Sven
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2009-12-10 02:10, Kevin Gardner wrote:
The recently released Richard Osterlind DVD of Corinda's, "13 Steps To Mentalism" is just amazing! Unfortunately the six disc set only covers about 1/3 of the tricks in the book.

Does anyone have any effects they would have like to seen on the DVD? Were any of your favorites missed?

Kevin,

Thanks very much for your kind comments about the DVD's. And thanks to Sven for pointing out the importance of the discussions.

As to the point about only 1/3 of the effects being shown, let me mention a few thoughts.

First, many of the ideas in the book could not be practically shown on DVD. Effects such as predicting the sex and name of a newborn baby, for instance! Second, many of those 200 effects are "variations" of others. If you show one, you also show many.

Next are some effects that are so elaborate that it would have become prohibitive to show them. Take many of the spirit effects that happen in the dark! We couldn't do that on video!

I did MY favorite effects from the book. If you have some of you own - GREAT! You are probably already doing them if they are your favorites! The whole idea of the series was to inspire a deeper study into the pages of a book that has become a true classic and the number one book on mentalism.

Richard
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2009-12-10 11:27, Richard Osterlind wrote:

First, many of the ideas in the book could not be practically shown on DVD. Effects such as predicting the sex and name of a newborn baby, for instance!

No excuses Richard - there WAS a pregnant women in the audience and L&L could have followed up with the birth as it happened before the DVDs release. (Now THAT would have been magic DVD history!)
Kevin Gardner
View Profile
Regular user
Richboro, PA
177 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gardner
The DVD set is excellent, it is BEYOND excellent, it was great to see some of effects brought to life.

It is was also great to see Osterlind's variations on a theme, for example the, "Dartboard Prediction" which was a originally intended to be performed at a pub is turned into a parlor or stage effect with some clever added bits of humor.

Also notable is, "A Day For Any Date" Richard chooses to use a method by Harry Lorayne. This makes the effect more appreciateable by an audience.

The DVD set must have taken a long to film and produce, it is well worth the price.

If L&L or Osterland decided to make an addition DVD set of something like, "More effects from 13 Steps" I would definitely pre-order it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 13 Steps to Mentalism DVD, favorite tricks left out? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL