The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Looking for a gangavase (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Does anyone know where I can find a ganga vase?
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Am I the only one who's going to ask?

All right, what's a "ganga vase" (besides a vase to keep Jamaican pot in!) Smile
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I think that Jonas Karlsson (Vibono Magic) is inquiring about a Lota Bowl or Lota Vase.

The effect is commonly described, in part, as follows (from the Browsers Den website):

An elegant brass vase is displayed full of water, which is poured out into a bucket or other receptacle. The vase is shown unmistakably empty, yet when the vase is tipped over again, it is seen to be full of water! Magician performs a few more effects, then notices that it is time for the ‘Flowing River of the Ganges’ and pours out yet more water from the empty vase. . . .”

References to the Ganges River, together with translation into Swedish are no doubt responsible for Jonas’ calling the prop the “Gangavase.” Is this what you are talking about, Jonas?

0pus
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
If it’s Water from India, Lotta Vase/bowl, then here are two different versions to look at:

[outdated links]
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Harry,

I think there are several versions of this effect to look at, but they all generally work on the same principal. I believe Mary Tomich had a lota that was ceramic and looked like an ancient jug or ewer. There are several versions that are supposed to be a "vase" and look like anything from a cremation urn to a spittoon or cuspidor. And, my favorite, there is a lota that looks like a child's beach pail. There may be others out there that look more like bowls, canteens, etc.

But we may be jumping the gun here. We still haven't heard from Vibono Magic as to whether the lota is the gangavase.

0pus
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Yes The ganga vase is a Lota vase with a specific design to it. It looks like a big pitcher made out of metal and it has a handle and formost It dosn't look like a magic prop. If you ever seen the Danish magician, Heinz Saxburger you can/have seen this version performed.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Jonas,

There is a lota pitcher available in a modern design. It looks like one of those insulated carafes for keeping brewed coffee hot during business meetings. You can find it here as the "Inexhaustible Carafe"

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/catalog/category0004.html

I have not seen any currently available in a more traditional or exotic design.

0pus
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I do not know, this is on sale at hokey pokey and to me does not seem traditonal enough. Funky handle and most hotels use plastic now for water.

What I would like to know is if it is just the design that allows for 12, 10 ounce glasses or is there any mechanical parts (PM me) Does it live up to its claims and then I guess I should ask, is 12 pours, one glass at a time as effecive than what appears to be a full bowl of water. I have a P&L bowl. That and Sherm to me are still the most deceptive, even if each time they do not produce the exact about as with the claim of the Ganga.

When you produce only a glass of water for each pour, from larger jug like Ganga, does it still go over as well. Even the P&L Lota only gives you 4-5 useable pours.
But they never are allowed to know how much water is being poured. With the Ganga, you pour at least 120 oz. That is 15 cups or 3.5 liters. Pretty nice but you are only doing it at a glass per shot.

I would assume only a couple if any have one of these German Ganga Vases since they are over $200 normally but if anyone does have one, please review.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Artist and magician Tom Crecelius of Nine Dragon Pottery in Indiana
(812-633-7875, http://www.ninedragonpottery.com) does lovely custom designed work on various Lota Bowl/Vases.

He hand produces one-of-a-kind Lota Bowls that are not only very magical and whimsical in nature, but allow for about a dozen “pours” issuing from a deceptively small and well shaped vessel.

If you’re in the U.K. Martin Duffy makes a wonderful Lota as well, I believe his are now sold through Martin Breese’s Abracadabra shop.

Magically,
Walt
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
This thread is like a ganga vase.
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Looking for a gangavase (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL