The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Malloy Mic Holder - Terrific! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
This may have been discussed before, but I have found a terrific mic holder at http://www.malloymodernmagic.com. It hangs around the neck and will hold any hand held mic. Very well made!

I've been looking around for one for sometime and finally found a good one.

Ron Reid
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
People are always asking me where to get a mic holder like that. Now I have somewhere to send them. Thanks Ron.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use Gimcrac mike holders for my show. They work great if you have an excellent mike to use with it. They're available from http://www.wizardcraft.com/default.htm
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Another one at a great price.
Thanks Alan
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
In a pinch, use the shower curtain holder from your hotel room - although I try to travel with my own mic and accessories, I have been in a pinch before -
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
Just out of interest sake, why do you prefer to have a big, honking microphone hanging around your neck as opposed to a tiny lavalier microphone?
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
That's an excellent question, Tantrik! Some magicians do a lot of audience-member-on-stage stuff, so they use a handheld mic the way an interviewer would, cueing the volunteer to speak only when the mic is pointed toward them. Sometimes, though, this performer needs both hands free, and a mic holder like the Malloy will allow him/her to use the same mic.

It's also possible that you're promised a lav by your employer, but you're given a hadheld instead. Well, in such a case, the Malloy (or similar) can be a God-send!

My friend Steve Kline (Hi, Steve!) makes an excellent point. Take whatever you can, so that you can meet your own requirements if the employer/promoter/venue doesn't live up to their end of the bargain!

Here's yet another thought: Many perfromers already have a handheld mic, and are not yet ready to buy a good wireless lav. Buying a Malloy-type neck adapter will allow for some hand-free work without dipping too far into your "wireless mic fund".

Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
http://www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
Dan McLean Jr
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
I agree, the intention is as a lifesaver.

The most amazing part is the this positional device actually works and makes you sound good (depending on the handheld, better than many lavs).

Carry one in your case with your bandaids, pain pills, hand sanitizers, duck tape, and Imodium.

Smile
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
I would certainly agree that a good hand held will sound better than a cheap lav...in fact, it will sound better than some expensive lavs. But I carry a dual channel wireless system. One channel is for a good quality lav, the other is for a wireless hand held.

It's been my experience that a hand held back and forth between myself and another person can often miss something funny from the volunteer. That's why I prefer a two microphone system. By having my own receiver with a single output, I don't have to worry about a venue with only one microphone input.

Even so, there have been some situations where the wireless didn't work well. So I always have wired back-ups.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2003-12-26 23:23, Tantrik wrote:
Just out of interest sake, why do you prefer to have a big, honking microphone hanging around your neck as opposed to a tiny lavalier microphone?

I've never been satisfied with the sound quality from a lavaliere. There just wasn't enough gain before feedback. I use a Sennheisser Evolution 845s - the best mike I've ever used. I can finally hear how my voice sounds over the PA, with no feedback.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
You can get them at Radio Shack!
Daniel Faith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Malloy Mic Holder - Terrific! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL