The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Code Of Conduct (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Well, personally I like to follow the path of the greatest of all... Houdini
who exposed mediums that prayed on the grieving.
There's a long history of magicians doing that,
Penn and Teller, James Randi, Ian Rownland, Richard Wiseman, Mark Edward, Criss Angel, Luke Jermay, Brian Brushwood, Banachek, Derren Brown..., on the other side of the fence who do we have?

Sylvia Brown? Van Praagh? John Edwards? Uri? Alexandre, and a bunch of guys that won't admit to that?
Just asking.

Because if I got to take a side, is kind of easy doing it isn't?
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
It's not ethical to allow the unethical to continue unchallenged.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2010-01-12 15:33, Davit Sicseek wrote:
It's not ethical to allow the unethical to continue unchallenged.

do any of you do this pro-actively in real life, rather than just on these forums?

genuinely interested in what you do...
I've asked to be banned
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
When I was a journalist I visited a Tarot reader and had my girlfriend visit the same woman on a different day. We taped both readings and found they were identical. I also spotted her using an obvious card force at the start of the reading - and myself and my girlfriend got the same cards. Co-incidence? I think not.

I wrote an article exposing the fraud, and got a very nice letter from her thanking me for the publicity. Its a funny old world.
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Quote:
On 2010-01-12 17:33, TonyB2009 wrote:
When I was a journalist I visited a Tarot reader and had my girlfriend visit the same woman on a different day. We taped both readings and found they were identical. I also spotted her using an obvious card force at the start of the reading - and myself and my girlfriend got the same cards. Co-incidence? I think not.

I wrote an article exposing the fraud, and got a very nice letter from her thanking me for the publicity. Its a funny old world.

what a great story tony!
thanks for sharing

I still applaud you in exposing her. even thought I'm sure some here don't appretiate you sharing to the public the concept of ¨forcing a card¨.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2010-01-12 21:32, alpha alex wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-12 17:33, TonyB2009 wrote:

what a great story tony!
thanks for sharing

I still applaud you in exposing her. even thought I'm sure some here don't appretiate you sharing to the public the concept of ¨forcing a card¨.

It does go to show that my theory is right. Exposing doesn't help. I am sure her reply of thanks was actually sincere. Exposing her probably expanded her business and made her a lot of money. So did exposing her help or hurt? We see the example all the time in these things. The best being Uri. Did he make more or less after being exposed? Even today with all the youtube exposure he is dropping TV series all over the world. He is rolling in it hand over fist. Sadly it all started back in the day with Randi. Would it have been better to not do anything at all? Let him have 15 mins of fame and then its over?

Just some thoughts.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2010-01-12 21:49, chichi711 wrote:
It does go to show that my theory is right. Exposing doesn't help. I am sure her reply of thanks was actually sincere. Exposing her probably expanded her business and made her a lot of money. So did exposing her help or hurt? We see the example all the time in these things. The best being Uri. Did he make more or less after being exposed? Even today with all the youtube exposure he is dropping TV series all over the world. He is rolling in it hand over fist. Sadly it all started back in the day with Randi. Would it have been better to not do anything at all? Let him have 15 mins of fame and then its over?

Just some thoughts.

I suspect you are right. Now my attitude towards exposure has changed. I only expose those who prey on misery; psychics who pretend they can find missing children, mediums who pretend they can contact the dead for grieving parents, homeopaths who tell cancer patients to come off their medication, and so on.

With hindsight a Tarot reader who was providing a bit of entertainment and an ego boost for her clients was doing no more harm or good than a conventional psychotherapist.

Randi went down in my estimation when he went after Geller; Geller is a harmless entertainer, and quite a good one. But he scored a big hit when he went after preacher Peter Popoff, who was a fraud. There is a difference.

By the way, Popoff is back in action. So perhaps Randi needs to get on his bike again...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Code Of Conduct (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL