The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Some people don't "get" card warp... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 18:48, R.E. Byrnes wrote:
Just be sure the audience is straight on the topological/geometric distinction, and it really kills

;)

I've always gotten great audience reactions from Card Warp. If your presentation makes it clear that turning the inner card inside-out without taking it out of the outer card is impossible, you should as well.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
The first time I showed the trick (to a dear family friend), he said...and I quote..."I don't get it. You didn't do anything".

My approach was so low-key, that he didn't even notice the card turning inside out.

After that, I rewrote my script, emphasizing that at one point, the card was folded with the face out, and at another time, folded with the face in. And I was going to travel back in time. (yeah, I know.)... and cause the card to reverse. Did 2 push thrus only. No unfold and redisplay.

Much better reaction.

Then, I went with signed cards. Even better reaction.

Then, I finally decided to use two non-pre-torn cards. After the spectators sign them, I hand one to a spectator and ask them to fold theirs in half (as I demonstrate).

While they're doing that, I did the other fold and rigged the card during the unfold. (To keep the noise down during the rigging, I used cards from old decks that I'd left in the sun to get brittle.) The cards the spectator folded was much fresher.

Really nice reaction...and I got to get rid of my old decks.

It was never the trick that I would do if I only had 1 trick to do. But it was in my top 5 probably.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"I've always gotten great audience reactions from Card Warp. If your presentation makes it clear that turning the inner card inside-out without taking it out of the outer card is impossible, you should as well."

Perhaps they're just being polite and aren't aware it is in fact impossible
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 22:53, R.E. Byrnes wrote:
Perhaps they're just being polite and aren't aware it is in fact impossible

Nope.

Believe me (and I know that every worker here will say the same thing), I've had many, many audiences that were anything but polite.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Some people don't "get" card warp... (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL