The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Targeting the Audience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Now don’t get all touchy. This is just for fun. (Mainly... Smile )

In the Tarbell course (originally published in 1928) Harlan Eugene Tarbell generalized that
Quote:
Men like card tricks and sleight manipulations, tricks with coins, cigarettes, cigars, etc. Women usually are interested in effects with silks, and anything colorful. They like spiritualistic and emotional effects. Children like animal tricks, and tricks with candy.

While we are cautioned against depending on stereotypes, “demographics” work for a reason.

What do we think, now, in 2010 about who likes what?

What do YOU think?

Just curious...
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Who am I to argue against Tarbell?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I like all those categories if the effects are good and well performed.

While I'm not particularly into Poker type effects I do occasionally watch Poker After Dark so I can't guess the why on that. I have seen more interest in Poker effects with men both in watching them and performing them.

Other than that I can't say I've noticed a bias in my audience but I try to choose what I think will go over by my interaction with the people I'm performing for (close-Up). With Stand-Up I generally have a show order written and it's designed to entertain everybody. I think about everybody meaning types or ages rather than genders.

- Mary Mowder
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Now in 2010?? What do people like to see?? The IMPOSSIBLE
With the likes of Blaine and Chris Angel on TV I'm asked all the time to levitate.
Some will say; "Make that disappear and end up in my pocket"...."Can you make me disappear?"

Nowadays with the advancement of all forms of technology it takes a little more to impress some people. I'm still a firm believer that if you can make what you do entertaining and involve the audience they will come away from the performance with a good feeling and a fond memory.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is a world of difference between being "politically correct" and being effective, smart or honestly correct.

The capacity to discriminate is exactly why we pay for professional opinions. "Targeting" is the politically correct term we use in marketing. It is indeed profiling. Knowing the difference between standing under mistletoe and a partridge in a pear tree makes a big difference in the wisdom of the decision.

Knowing the difference between a suspect and a prospect is no different. You can't do a professional job of entertaining without targeting the audience.

This is one old marketing professor who begs you to target, target, target. It is the wiser use of YOUR resources. (An audience is a resource! Look at entertaining from that perspective. It will improve more than just your show.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Yes, you may have to deal with a moving target.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Today's world has women smoking cigars and men getting manicures...

I do not think that in todays world you can apply generalizations like that. We have such a diverse society now that any generalization leaves a vast number excluded.

From a psychology standpoint, men TYPICALLY enjoy things of logic and function. Women TYPICALLY enjoy things visual and of form.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
I think generally, people like to be entertained. Sure there are people who love to be fooled and shown an unbelievable miracle, but from my experience the majority of people just like to have a good time.

No-one likes a smart arse or to be made a fool of in front of their friends. You can go to a magic convention and in the various competitions they run, see some miracles of magic and amazing sleight of hand.

Put some of those acts in front of a lay audience though and I bet half of them would be bored to tears with cards appearing or thimbles changing colour.

Sit them in front of someone like Jeff McBride or David Williamson who make their magic entertaining & enjoyable and people will love it.
TheCoats
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of TheCoats
I think with information being readily available in today's society, the games have changed a little.

With kids I always find quick visual tricks that incolve colors or animals get them excited the most. It has to be short enough that they don't get lost and visully impressive for them to be in awe.

But with older kids (Jr. High, High School) they know how to find out how standard tricks are done (the internet). So, I find the best way to thwart this is to take a trick and present it different and make it my own, so they can't google it. This would be the demographic who would take the time to research how something was done, unlike adults.

For adults I use pretty much the same take on tricks I would show High school and Jr. High kids but without fear of them Googling it! I think really adults and young adults can all appreciate anything visually stunning and of course tricks with a little surprise twist on the end is always a plus (such as NFW).
Well, That was fun!
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
I think Tarbell 'nailed' it, back when it was written. However, we live in a different time... and we've come a long way in the performance of magic. Bottom line, any magic, performed well, should appeal to all genres. As long as your interaction with the audience and your patter is tailored to suit the circumstance, you should be able to entertain anyone with any magic category at your disposal.
My 2 cents.
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2010-01-17 09:41, mmreed wrote:
Today's world has women smoking cigars and men getting manicures...

I do not think that in today's world you can apply generalizations like that. We have such a diverse society now that any generalization leaves a vast number excluded.

From a psychology standpoint, men TYPICALLY enjoy things of logic and function. Women TYPICALLY enjoy things visual and of form.

Mark,

Keep that up and some guy is going to hit you with his purse!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Who is your Avon man?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Targeting the Audience (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL