The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Looking For Name Of A Trick / Credit Info (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
I'm looking for the name of a card trick, with any information about who is usually credited with its invention.

The effect is that the magician hands out four cards (any four cards from a regular deck will do, as the values don't matter), to one or (preferably) more spectators, as well as taking four cards himself.

After making sure that all the cards are, say, face down, the magician issues a series of simple instructions (e.g. turn a card over, move a card from the top to the bottom), and after this series of "moves" is done, his cards are all facing the same way (i.e. all face down or all face up), whereas all of the spectators have one card that is facing the wrong way compared to the other three cards.

I guess it's some form of Do As I Do effect, but I really can't remember its name.

Also, I know that the late Joe Riding put out a version where the punchline was something like, "I'm surprised you can't see through this trick", as he reveals that one of his own four cards has a big hole through the middle of the card.

This is the version I used to perform, but I also can't remember what Joe called this routine.

So, any help / references anybody can provide on either or both of these two versions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
Aha - great trick. It's called the Ultimate Faulty Follower. Lovely effect and easy to do if you know one magical move.

You can find it here:

http://www.magicshopinc.com/index.php?ma......_id=2886
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Hi Mark,
Hope you're well. If you look in your copy of "Small But Deadly" you'll find all the information you want in the second chapter, "U Can't Do As I Do". The basic idea originated with U.F. Grant in the nineteen twenties, but later in England it was more commonly called "Faulty Follower" etc. Vernon added the EC to the plot.

Best wishes,
Paul
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Quote:
On 2010-01-17 10:14, Stu Turner wrote:
Aha - great trick. It's called the Ultimate Faulty Follower. Lovely effect and easy to do if you know one magical move.

You can find it here:

http://www.magicshopinc.com/index.php?ma......_id=2886

Stu,

Thanks for the reference. It's not exactly the one I was looking for, but it's very similar.
Mark S. Farrar

Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Quote:
On 2010-01-17 10:16, Paul wrote:
Hi Mark,
Hope you're well. If you look in your copy of "Small But Deadly" you'll find all the information you want in the second chapter, "U Can't Do As I Do". The basic idea originated with U.F. Grant in the nineteen twenties, but later in England it was more commonly called "Faulty Follower" etc. Vernon added the EC to the plot.

Best wishes,
Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the info. I should have known it would be in your excellent book!

The good news is that this book is one of the few I kept when I moved to the USA a few years ago; the bad news is that it will take some hunting down! Smile

As for myself, I'm great, thanks - new life, new wife, and working from home for ourselves instead of for a heartless corporate company.

I hope you are well too.
Mark S. Farrar

Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Johnny Thompson does one on Ultimate Card Sessions DVD called Vernon's Variant and credits Vernon for it.

Best
Leo Jr
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Quote:
On 2010-01-17 16:35, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
Johnny Thompson does one on Ultimate Card Sessions DVD called Vernon's Variant and credits Vernon for it.

Best
Leo Jr

Leo,

Thanks!
Mark S. Farrar

Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
Dr Jacob Taub included it in a book he wrote especially for the swedish market called manupilativ kortmagi (manipulative cardmagic)1983

In the preface it says that it has never been published abroad (outside of sweden)but it's original title is referred to as being "sleightly fantastic" It was translated by Ã…ke Hallberg and I have no idea if it ever was published anywhere else.

He doesn't however credit anyone with it. It contains the Elmsley count as mentioned before but no mentioning of Vernon or earlier references.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Quote:
On 2010-01-18 12:20, Leo-Kim wrote:
Dr Jacob Taub included it in a book he wrote especially for the swedish market called manupilativ kortmagi (manipulative cardmagic)1983

In the preface it says that it has never been published abroad (outside of sweden)but it's original title is referred to as being "sleightly fantastic" It was translated by Ã…ke Hallberg and I have no idea if it ever was published anywhere else.

He doesn't however credit anyone with it. It contains the Elmsley count as mentioned before but no mentioning of Vernon or earlier references.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden

Mikael,

Thanks.
Mark S. Farrar

Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
'Faulty Follower' was marketed in the 1950's/1960's by Harry Stanley. It was a favourite of Ken Brooke and it's in:

1. a booklet put out by Harry Stanley titled 'Feke Card Tricks' Page 3 (I've seen this for sale recently). In the booklet, the term 'Faulty Follower' and the 3 part routine are credited to Ken Brooke - although Ken rightly mentions it started life as a Grant idea.

2. It's also in the 1980 Supreme Magic publication - 'Ken Brooke's Magic The Unique Years' Page 144. This was a book covering Ken's instruction sheets and routines from 'The Gen' magazine that Harry Stanley produced (so there's every chance it appeared in 'The Gen' at some stage as well).

As for the Joe Riding effect - Joe simpley called this 'The Trick that you can see through'. It used Jumbo Cards (much more effective for the comedy angle) and used the running gag "can you see through it yet"? This manuscript was part of a three part Jumbo Card Routine that Joe brought out in 1981 called 'Jumbo Jets' (the other parts being 'Almost Opposite' [a red/black transposition] and 'the stretching card' [Joe's take on Peter Kane's effect 'Sally'] with a brilliant 'sucker' ending.

I believe that International Magic in London still sell 'The Faulty Follower'.

Hope this info helps.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Looking For Name Of A Trick / Credit Info (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL