The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » The Origin of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MattMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Erie, CO
190 Posts

Profile of MattMagician
Hi I'm writing a paper for school about magic (as I'm a magician) and I was wondering what facts you could give me about how the concept of magic started and such. If you can't find a source, don't worry I will cross-reference my information.

Thanks!

Matt
Matt Simonsen
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Exploring the boundary between the me and the not-me has been with us all since infancy.

Look at the cave paintings of the bison, the hunt, the dots... a vision captured in pigments a long, long time ago.

You might want to start by exploring the word "because".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It all started as a way to get women and free drinks. Come to think of it...
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
'Lessee...Og the caveman was sitting around the campfire with his fellow Neanderthals holding a pebble in his hand. Og had the irresistible urge to sneeze and upon doing so dropped the pebble on the ground. The sneeze caused a reflex action in the other cavemen causing them to blink. When they opened their eyes the pebble was gone from Og's hand. The first use of misdirection and camouflage causing a minor miracle.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-01-26 10:42, Stanyon wrote:
'Lessee...Og the caveman was sitting around the campfire with his fellow Neanderthals holding a pebble in his hand. Og had the irresistible urge to sneeze and upon doing so dropped the pebble on the ground. The sneeze caused a reflex action in the other cavemen causing them to blink. When they opened their eyes the pebble was gone from Og's hand. The first use of misdirection and camouflage causing a minor miracle.

FWIW

...Suddenly, Trog points to the sky. Og looks up and Trog steals Og's food. That was the first paid magic performance.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Whatever you do, don't crib a paper from the internet or copy a bunch of nonsense from Wikipedia. You won't learn anything that way.

The study of magic is also the study of mythology and religion. Read some of the material from Jeff McBride and Eugene Burger's work with the Mystery School.

If you do this right, it will be a passion that takes you into the interior of magic and the interior of your psyche as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
The origin of magic the first time some set their keys down and turned away for a second, turned back and they were gone. We've been trying to crack that trick for centuries.

Modern magic began the first time anyone put two socks into a washing machine and only one came out.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-01-26 23:33, Father Photius wrote:
The origin of magic the first time some set their keys down and turned away for a second, turned back and they were gone. We've been trying to crack that trick for centuries.

Air pockets.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
It's those guys that rearrange time. Once in a while they forget to put something back in it's place and.........MAGIC!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
MattMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Erie, CO
190 Posts

Profile of MattMagician
Thank you for the insight and humor! I came to the same conclusion a few months ago when I began my research. Magic is just a necessity of culture. It explains the unknown. I will attatch my paper in a month or so when it is done!!
Matt Simonsen
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
As you may have gathered from the PM I sent you, it's not a simple task. Joseph Campbell spent his whole life researching it and writing about it, from a different viewpoint, of course.

Also, you might want to get hold of The Golden Bough by Frazier.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
Do not take Bill's advice lightly. Do not sell magic short.

I do not know about performance magic "explaining the unknown" as you say, but it does for a few moments at least allow people to believe that through the magician, they can have a limited power over their environment that is otherwise out of their control.

Being able to control their environment is a deep seated psychological drive that people have. And of course something impossible to achieve in this world/universe.

Know one can control everything around themselves, except perhaps for the "Magician"!! Smile

regards,

Mark
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
MattMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Erie, CO
190 Posts

Profile of MattMagician
I have looked at some Joseph Cambell stuff about the Odyssey for another class. I didn't realize he studied magic. I will look into his work.
Matt Simonsen
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Several years ago, I was asked by a civic group to give a talk about magic. So I started with "How many of you have ever attended or witnessed a magical ritual?" No hands went up. Then I asked, "How many of you have ever attended a church service?" All the hands went up.

Then I said: "Guess what."

They looked puzzled. So I continued: "A magical ritual is an attempt by a person or a group of people to influence the world around them by invoking a powerful spirit, following a set pattern of recitations, and sometimes by chanting or singing important phrases. Does that sound familiar?"

It was thought-provoking to say the least.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
A look at some of the ancient Greek & Roman temples will show that there were magic tricks built into many of them, such as the Holy Water dispenser that you paid for, as well as the one that, when certain items were lit, would open the temple doors! Great works of ingenuity that translated to magic for the masses.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I've always suspected that coin-operated vending machines were possessed by demons. The spell for subduing them involves beating on the machine with your fists and cursing the demons back to perdition. Then you may get your Coke, which tastes far better than holy water.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
There are some good articles on the origins of magic & magic history at http://www.topsmag.com by Paul Nielsen. You can find his articles by clicking on his name where it says "Contributors" on the right hand side. Paul owns several magic shops in the Detroit area and is easy to reach (check out his bio at topsmag.com for contact info).
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I'll send you a story you can use
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
Excerpt from Creativity '07 By Dan Sylvester "the Jester" (Lecture notes.)

"So Imagine now you are Early Man thousands of years ago on a moonlit night you see someone kneeling with his head bowed and his hands clasped together in front of him a bit of curious movement in his hands and suddenly a spark; light! and finally fire! At that moment if you hadn't fainted you may have spotted a stick of wood between his hands and wondered if this stick may hold magical powers or if this mans prostrate position was the secret for communion with the divine. Who can say for sure? But it could be that the stick (or wand) for making fire has been passed down to magicians today. And may be the position people assume when they pray came from this fire making position of long, long ago. We can never know but I'd be remiss in talking about art, magic or creativity and not talk about its possible origins even if they are theoretical."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you get stuck on Crowley- remember who he was writing for. Moore does a nice job offering some perspective. Or say says the mongoose in the basket here. ( note to our newbies: that is plaintext and just google "moore, basket, crowley, basket, magic" to point you to some fun educational material") Don't thank me, thanks Promethea Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » The Origin of Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL