The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fantasio vanishing Cane (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-01-29 13:47, Oliver Ross wrote:
Thanks Bojan,

I've got Fantasio's own book. It must be his first one, since it has no volume.

Oliver.

This is not the book refered to, David Ginn published 5 Paper bound booklets on Fantasio Candle and Cane Magic. I don't know if they are available still from David Ginn, you have to seek the 2nd hand market.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Micheal has it right.

After the cap is on. Twist the ferrule clockwise (Test - start with 270 degrees to 720 degrees- which is two full turns).The action of tighting the bottom loosens the upper 3/4 of the cane allowing it to move faster.

Note: Overtightning the ferrule will allow the top to speed along but then, there is a traffic jam at the bottom. Get to know your cane and eventually you can pick up any cane and give it that little twist and know how much to twist it, just by feel.
imanipulatestuff
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of imanipulatestuff
I know this forum is pretty dead by now, but I thought I'd post a video to help a little for even the more experienced viewers. This is fantasio himself performing the vanishing cane http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6AUzL4VUVM go to about 3 minutes to see the vanish
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Who makes a "cane silk?" What are their typical dimensions? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Rice sold one for years...maybe still available?
I think P and A offered one for a while.

James...they are really not that hard to make. You could start with a white diamond silk of about 24" in length and then wrap the tip in a piece of saran wrap (a latex balloon is better) and the part inside the balloon will remain white if you seal the balloon's opening with a tight thread or rubber band. then the bulk of the silk is dipped into a very hot pan of RIT black dye until the color is one shade DARKER than you prefer. The entire silk is rinsed in cold water to set the color and when the water runs clear...remove the ballon and rubber bands...and you'll have a cane silk.

Some 'experts' recommend sewing a 'bb' or small ball bearing (Perhaps a tiny metal button?) to the end of the silk so that when the silk is twirled...the centrifugal force causes the silk to take the extended shape of the emerging cane.

Regards-
Jneal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-08-04 16:05, JamesinLA wrote:
Who makes a "cane silk?" What are their typical dimensions? Thanks.

Jim

Rice's Cane to Silk Silk here:
http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Cane%20to%20Silk.htm

Click here to view attached image.
Mattia
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Mattia
Fantasio explains how to repair canes that vanish too slow in his book "my canes and candles". Close completely the cane,roll it up completely on itself and put a rubber band on it to let it stay close. Then apply heat on the closed cane with an hair dryer for 5-6 minutes and do not remove the rubber band for 1-2 weeks. After that time open it again and you will see the difference in vanishing speed,
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
One other thig. You must clean the cane. By taking ome water and dishliquid soap. Actually allow the cane to unroll as you clean it.
Let it rinse.
Then after drying, spray it with silicon spray.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Magicians gives the best advice here, you cannot underestimate the importance of having a clean cane.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Clean the cane with Windex. Let it dry thoroughly. Also, I store my vanishing canes expanded backwards. This seems to help.
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Do not use WD-40 on a plastic cane. It will slowly destroy it.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
If you want the best available I have a mint condition Harakhan vanishing cane for sale, brand new. It is a collectors item, but if used will last you a lifetime.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well, I have an Appearing and Vanishing Canes for sale that Tannen made called the "Superior". They are still in the boxes I purchased them in and are new. They are a deep beautiful Blueish color in bright light. The Vanishing Cane has a unique round aluminum cap and the Appearing has a silver metal stip attacned for the cap. If you have the Romaine DVD on Card and Billiard Ball manipulation he uses the Vanishing in his act. Tannen's has sold out of these and looks like they will not be made again.
Mattia
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Mattia
If You type http://www.fantasio.com and You click on "helpful tips" directly from the menu on the main page, You will see a page where fantasio explains how to properly care of appearing/vanishing canes and candles
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
What bothers me most about the Fantasio cane (appearing cane) is the sound: GRRRRRTTTT! The music needs to be quite loud for the people on the first row not to hear it, I share your opinion on the vanishing cane, to me, it seems very slow aswell..
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
You are not thinking as the audience would. When they hear that sound, it’s the equivalent to adding a flash of light before producing something. The swooshing sound startles them. I’ve seen the look many times from spectators when I have produce a metal or plastic appearing cane. It’s so fast and the sound makes it seem magical. You have to just pause for a few seconds to get the effect to sink in.

Don’t ruin that magic moment by covering it up. Take advantage of it.
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 12:59, mtpascoe wrote:
You are not thinking as the audience would. When they hear that sound, it’s the equivalent to adding a flash of light before producing something. The swooshing sound startles them. I’ve seen the look many times from spectators when I have produce a metal or plastic appearing cane. It’s so fast and the sound makes it seem magical. You have to just pause for a few seconds to get the effect to sink in.

Don’t ruin that magic moment by covering it up. Take advantage of it.

I see what you mean, but to me personally, the sound of that cane is the super obvious sound of something sliding open very fast.. I have the same thing with Fantasio candles, when I vanish the candle, I can hear the sound, offcourse the audience can't (Godd, I hope they can't!) But that just makes me nervous, deep down inside I know no one noticed, but I did! Haha
'Akward Moments On Stage, Volume 1' Ladies & Gentlemen!
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Quote:
On 2010-01-28 12:02, magicians wrote:
If the speed of the cane is too visible for your tastes, you can either vanish it with it perpendicular to the audience, or use a cane silk. Which will look like the cane has melted into a silk.
The black on black will hide the vanish.

Thank you Ian. I know this is an old post, but when I found it my first thought was, "I can't believe I have never thought of that!" What a great idea. The black (or white or green or red) vanishing cane turning into a silk of the same color is a great and fun idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fantasio vanishing Cane (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL