The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mark Elsdon's The Last Word (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
Thanks for the kind words Lior. I'm looking forward to whatever you release next as it's all great stuff!

Just a heads up that I'm down to single figures of the number of copies of The Last Word left available.

Cheers,

ME
Check out The View From Here:
http://elsdon.blogspot.com/
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
887 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
When Mark shared this with me I was so excited...he had his hand on my knee, and it was just ecstasy...but that isn't really for here, that is for my group discussion talks.

This presentation just takes the Cube out of the standardised setting it is usually seen in. Although I feel and think the regular cube solve to be a powerfully piece if handled correctly, 'The Last Word' squeezes even more amazement and astonishment out of the unsuspecting (don't they always seem to be?) audience members. It is kickers-Ville for sure!

Mark is a genius in the field, there are no two ways about it. Yes you are buying just a presentation, but what an awesome presentation it is.

Whilst there are just a few copies left, be sure to bag yourself one. If you don't you are simply stupid. Even if you don't get one when it is sold out then you are still stupid. Simples (UK based in joke)!

In all seriousness now, this is really good stuff, and big thanks to Mark for taking the time to come up with an amazing presentation, and for sharing, and for keeping it limited.

Cheers,

-Paul
PAUL BROOK

He Knows Shop - All of my mentalism books, PDFs and props Smile

Certified Mentalism A beautifully illustrated hardback book full of real world mentalism Smile

FREE MENTALISM Free hard-hitting effects, routines and methods, just a click away Smile

MAGIC TV INTERVIEW An deep dive interview with Craig Petty, nothing held back! Smile
Kamal
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Kamal
OK - I received TLW a few days ago, and am very disappointed.

I'm not going to give away anything in TLW, so excuse me if I'm a little cryptic.

Basically - I thought I was getting a presentation for a cube solve. To me, that meant a script/patter that would hold an audience's attention. That's what I thought "presentation" meant.

What Mark has released, more accurately, is a new effect for a cube solve. What do I mean by that? It's hard to explain, but the "Effect" description details something I haven't seen before. The effect on the audience is new. So I guess you could argue that it's a new presentational framework, but not a presentation as I've come to know it (or as I expected).

I bought Bill Abott's 5 card opener for the presentation. The method is very old and is found in a classic magic text, so there's nothing new on that front. But it was sold as a new and exciting presentation (and it is). I'm thrilled with the 5 card opener.

I thought I was getting the same thing here, but it was sadly not the case.

I'm a professional, and as any professional knows, effects and methods are a dime a dozen. It's the words that make or break an effect on the audience. Creating interesting presentations is the hardest part of my job, and when Mark offered an effect with a "new presentation" it was a no-brainer for me. $150 for a presentation is cheap.

But no matter the cost, I didn't get what I wanted, or expected.

Mark offers a money back guarantee if TLW doesn't get a great reaction. Sadly, I'll never perform it, so I won't get my money back. I took a punt, and it didn't pay off.
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
Hi Dr K.

I'm suprised that you didn't email me about this. No worries though!

I use TLW regularly and find it to be an absolute killer. Of course, I would say that Smile

I want everyone to be completely happy with their purchase of TLW so I have PMed you with what I hope is a solution to your disappointment...

Cheers,

ME
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Quote:
On 2010-02-26 19:19, Dr K wrote:
OK - I received TLW a few days ago, and am very disappointed.

Strange. All the friends of the seller really like it. Weird.
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
Hi Kevin,

It's not strange, they're my friends Smile

What IS strange is that they paid for it Smile

What is also strange is that of the nine people (who aren't friends) from whom I've had feedback so far I have had eight very appreciative responses and they were via email but the one negative response I've had was posted here on the Café. Weird.

I could ask the people who responded positively to repeat their comments here, but what would be the point...

Cheers,

ME
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I bought it. I have not yet commented on it publicly or privately. While I have had a few pleasant email exchanges with Mark, it would be completely presumptuous of me to call him a friend.

And I like it. A lot.

Yes, there is an "effect" that happens, one that would fall squarely under the heading of mentalism. (Personally, I was glad to see that.) Out of respect for Mark's wishes, I won't elaborate on the nature of the effect any further. But I will say that it is, in my humble opinion, bloody ingenious. I would love to go on at length about exactly why it's so good and, but I can't without revealing too much. It's the sort of thing that seems so impossible, and yet is so simple and so out-in-the-open that I just have to marvel at it. I dearly wish I could have seen it performed before I had read about it, because I imagine it would have kept me up nights.

I can see where someone would be disappointed with it if they were simply expecting it to be something that it wasn't, just as the finest steak would be a disappointment if you had your heart set on lobster. Speaking only for myself, I had no specific expectations or hopes about what it would be beyond "something cool to do with a cube, which hopefully would fit the way I perform." And it most definitely is that.

I have not touched a cube since the early '80s, when I retired from my career as the undisputed Rubik's Cube champion of Mrs. Cobb's fifth grade class at West Elementary. But I will be re-learning how to solve the cube, because I consider this effect worth the effort.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Gabor
View Profile
Veteran user
Pécel, Hungary
367 Posts

Profile of Gabor
Is it really possible to learn how to solve the cube for somebody with average intelligence? I've always thought it was something in connection with brain and talent. A mixed up cube is a chaos for me. Smile
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 06:23, Gabor wrote:
Is it really possible to learn how to solve the cube for somebody with average intelligence? I've always thought it was something in connection with brain and talent. A mixed up cube is a chaos for me. Smile

It is - and it is an assessable job.
Take a look at some websits related to speedcubing;
there you will find several ways to solve the cube:
From easy ways for beginners to more advanced ones.

Cheers
Th.
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1966 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Or you could always purchase Marks Rubix Remembered DVD! Working for Magicbox for over twenty years I have performed tens of thousands of demonstrations and the Rubix Remembered routine is the only one I can recall that resulted in a round of applause!

Then again my other performances could have been really bad? Smile
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Kamal
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Kamal
I should clear something up.

I would have had a private exchange with Mark, prior to posting here, if I thought there was a solution to the problem. Maybe there is, but at the time, I didn't see it.

Mark has PM'd me, and we'll talk about where to go from here.

The motivation in my original post was not to disrespect Mark in any way or diminish his positive reviews - it was simply to make sure would-be buyers were clear on the facts of what is, and what is not included (which I still believe was mis-represented).
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
Quinn, many thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you're going to use this.

Dr K, I have PMed you again. I hope my offer is to your liking Smile

Everyone else: I have only 2 copies of The Last Word left and then that is it - sold out forever.

Please PM or email me if you're intested in seeing what all the fuss is about... and adding a killer piece to your show!

Cheers,

ME
darkdean
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of darkdean
I am one of the lucky ones which bought this and once I get my cube skills down I look forward to performing it.

The presentation you are buying for the Rubik's cube I feel will be very strong when performed and I will let you know how it plays as soon as I have the cube down which fingers crossed for luck should not be too long.

I have no association with Mark but I do enjoy his work.

Kind Regards

Dean

Dean
Kamal
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Kamal
I'm pleased to say that Mark and I have worked something out. He's gone out of his way to resolve this, and it just goes to show what a nice guy he is (in spite of my criticisms).
.m
View Profile
New user
Sheffield UK
4 Posts

Profile of .m
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 04:16, Kevin Cook wrote:
Strange. All the friends of the seller really like it. Weird.

Ahem - I bought it, and I like it.
It has paid for itself.
I do make a couple of small changes to suit the way I do things, but it's not material to the presentation.

Now, !@#$% if you like, but I don't actually 'know' Mark. Stunning eh?
(Not all overweight bearded magicians are related or friends).

I've met him twice, both briefly, in Sheffield. First time when he did Rubik Remembered, then again last Saturday - and I had to ask; "are you Mark Elsdon?".

So, by this logic, all those I've met briefly, and had to ask if they're who I think they are, are now my friends - so I am lucky to have, erm, lots of friends!

TLW is a presentation that you may or may not like. Whatever you feel about it, don't bother with ad-homine evaluations, let your audience decide.

Moreover - it's a presentation that with very little thought (that's me) can be adapted in a number of ways to suit your own performance preference. I'd like to see Mark do it on stage, if only because I've not done any stage work for 20 odd years and would like to see the reaction.
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
Thanks M,

It's good to be able to put a face to the name!

Less of the 'overweight' though, eh? Smile

I'm glad you like and most importantly that you are using it.

To anyone who has been thinking about getting this: I have one sole, single, solitary copy of the manuscript left. Go on, treat yourself for the weekend!

Cheers,

ME
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
If anyone missed this one there's good news.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
... you can buy my copy!

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Oooop. Sorry Mike, I just saw your post down below.
I didn't mean to steal your marketing thunder.

best

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mark Elsdon's The Last Word (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL