The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » For what it is worth....motivation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
So I don't really know where to start, but I wanted to say that I feel that I am really coming along and improving as a magician.

When I first started I was always finding myself trying to hide slights from my audience when I performed. I was so self-concious about "getting caught" that my presentation was lacking.

Over the past 2 and a half years that I have been involved in magic I have bought probably over $1200 worth of magic (whether it be a trick a book a DVD). I have been at most times (like most magicians) overwhelmed by all of the magic I have bought and have in every nook and cranny of my room.

But just recently I have been able to seperate myself from all of the products that I have and not feel as overwhelmed by all of it.

I am finding the tricks that work best for me now, when in the past I thought every trick was for me. I would see a demo and would fantasize myself doing that trick when in reality that trick was not for me. I can't really say how to know a trick is for you, but I think one (a magician) really needs to pick effects that fit the way they are. For instance I am a goofy funny guy, I like to ham it up. So I buy effects that allow me to be the ham that I am. For instance "the insurance card policy" or spongeballs.

If you are looking for a reason why I am writing this, well, there really isn't any one reason. I do though, want other magicians (old/young or new/been in it for a while) to hear this because it may help with their journeys.

Another thing I have realized is that I will NEVER be as good at sleight of hand as many magicians, including young kids to old grandpas. But, I realize and accept that. However, even though I may not ever be really great at sleight of hand, I always have my personality, I am always me!!

So, take a good look at yourself and mold your magic to you, and have FUN!! Do not over think things, it isn't rockey science, even though some sleight of hand is wonderfully hard to master, especially for me .

Lastly, recently I feel that my magic has reached the "next level" as they say. I like the tricks I do now, and I like myself the way that I do them, as in the past I thought what I did was not good and what others did was great.

I have found my magical persona and I am watching it grow inside of me!! Its exciting.

so....go find yours and let it smolder and catch fire and run with it. Hope I didn't get too deep

This was on my mind and I thought I should share. Reply if you would like, I would love to hear your thoughts on this..

-Ari
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
It sounds like you have found your 'entertaining persona' rather than a 'magic persona' -- no problem with that, you will probably make more money. Do a search and read everything post by Whit Haydn and Lawrence O since Aug 2009 -- work your way forward always asking, "Where is the magic?" Then appraise what you really want out of performing. You can be a comedian who does some magic, or a teacher who occasionally does magic -- and you will be a magician. But forging a character who comes across to an audience as "he is a magician" is something else again. That starts with taking one effect, working with it until there is no one in the world who does it better. Then take another and repeat. Study public speaking and/or theater. You don't need sleight of hand. Magic is of the mind -- yours and the spectators. Learn to reach their minds and hearts. Do magci for them -- not yourself, and the magci will mold you.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Bravo Ari!!!!

You are on a very good path with a good grasp of who you are and what you are doing

There is strength in knowing your weaknesses.

As for not being great at sleights, I'm in the same boat. Something I never suggest but please feel free to view my website if you like and you'll see what someone who isn't great at sleights can do with creativity, imagination, story and 10 years experience and study

Have fun and as Denny Haney says in his lecture notes (and I paraphrase here) "It is important your audience likes you"

I've often thought it takes about 3 years to get grounded in the art, you posted you've been at it for about 2.5 years
When you start it is very hard to know what to buy that will eventually fit your magical persona

Enjoy where you are today!
That next level you've just reached .....
...... you will hit new ones again and again

You didn't post but what are you doing performance wise?
Do you want to perform publicly?
99.99999% of the time I tell posters in this very forum they are not ready
You are ready to start considering performing if that is what you would like to do?
If not, magic can be a great hobby
What type show, venues, set lists, ebb and flow of effects/show and so on and so forth

What material are you reading and studying now?
What lectures will you be attending?
What shows are you going to see?

I always say we must look to the would outside magic to grow in our magic

Again job well done sir! Great story to read, thanks for sharing it

Be well!
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
P.s. thank you for respecting the art
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
I am a 26 year old whom just graduated from college a month and a half ago. I am currently substitite teaching, and getting work everyday of the week. Being a sub is really nice because I do not need to write lesson plans which is very time consuming. With this extra time I am able to practice and study magic.

I finished reading Jay Sankey's "Beyond Secrets" 2 days ago and I think Jay has some very interesting insights. However, at this point in my life I feel you do have to take everything with a grain of salt. People need to ultimetly make their own decisions and judgements of everything they incounter. Don't get me wrong, reading whats on a magician/entertainers mind like Sankey is a pleassure.

Seeing as teachers get the summers off I would love to fill those summer nights with performing magic. In fact, I would love to be a paid magician. I would like to do bar/bat mitzvas, birthdays, gatherings and restaurant and bars where I can let my "silly" side out.

I have in the recent past gone out to bars and randomly performed, usually egged on by friends whom know I do magic and like when I perform for stragers.

Long story short, I would very much like to perform magic reguarly and natuarally get paid to do so.

I said that I graduated college recently and I am living at "home" with mom, etc... I am in fact practicing some new stuff now. But, what do you think (advice do you have?) about this?

There are 3 local bars within walking distance of my house, one in which I would frequent years ago before I moved to live at college. I think it would be very neat to perform at this/these bars. I want to go in offer a "magic night/nights in which I could do my walk around/close up magic.

Should I go in and tell the owners (whom I know from before) that I do magic now and want to do it at their bar??

HOW DO I MAKE MY MAGIC HAPPEN??...you know in terms of me performing which I enjoy greatly.

I am nervous before I start but once I get going I get going Smile

Would love/need advice!

-Ari
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
Man I wish my subs were into magic back then.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
When I was a sub during my second Masters I almost always incorporated magic into my lesson -- sometimes as a reward for getting doen early, and sometimes as a way of emphsysing a key lesson point. In California I got a lot of assignments with Emotionally Desurbed kids becasue I could control them -- amgic was invaluable.

PM me if you wish
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
My wife has been a teacher and has invited me into the classroom a number of times correlating literature with the magic I perform. The kids enjoy it more than ever and it is a great opportunity to motivate the kids and send them a good lesson. Some of these kids really need a positive outlook on life.
SteveSmartMagic
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of SteveSmartMagic
You guys are doing great work for the community. That alone is motivational stuff!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » For what it is worth....motivation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL