The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What is the Silver Scepter and where can I buy one? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Quote:
On 2012-05-16 17:41, Kipley wrote:
I use the inexpensive India sceptre because, until reading this, I didn't realize there was another version out there. I've only ever seen the $5 ones. The first elastic lasted about 20 shows before it was no longer strong enough to move the sceptre quickly, but replacing it is possible. I'm curious to know what the difference between the inexpensive and the Practical Magic versions are.

Hi Kipley

Go to this link, and ALL will be explained...

http://johnbreeds.com/magicboxcapers/silver_sceptre.pdf

John
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
As usual, John Breeds is the man! Get his book, it's the best thing you can get for your act.

JoJo<------John's groupie! In a manly way of course! Obama approved!
Magic guy in Perth Australia
mikedobias
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of mikedobias
My routine is based on Terry Herbert's, and it's fun for me AND the kids--they have a great time with the wand misbehaving, and I love their reactions. It just shows that the simplest effect, scripted properly, can be extremely entertaining.

I start the routine by asking the kids if they collect anything (rocks, the latest collectible, money, etc.). It's a good way to start building rapport with the kids. I then ask them what they think I collect, and they'll yell out "magic stuff!", and I might have to coax them by saying "you have to wave it to make the magic happen" and they get it. I then proceed to tell them I indeed collect magic wands, have over 50 in my collection, that I brought quite a few with me today, and that some of my helpers will get to use my magic wands. I then ask if they would like to see the oldest magic wand in my collection, and I mention that it's over 100 years old! I then lower my voice (amazing how it gets their attention), look very serious, and say "But I need to warn you before I show you--I call it the naughty wand, because it doesn't always behave. Do you still want to see it?" Of course they do... I then give a reason for it being in a bag "because it behaves better if it's in the dark". And then it goes from there, but you get the idea.

Giving an inantimate object a personality really hooks them, and the kids always ask to see the naughty wand after the show. Of course, I don't show them the wand again--always leave them wanting more, and getting their Mom to book me for their party!
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Beowulf, I know this is a bit late, but no, the diameter on the deluxe version from Practical Magic is not the same as the scepter from India. P.M.'s is bigger, giving it a more substantial look. However, that said, I have been more than satisfied with the one I have from India. The elastic was severed when the wand arrived, but replacing it was a piece of cake--took about 5 minutes, after purchasing some elastic from the fabric store. It's worked like a charm ever since--about 6 years.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What is the Silver Scepter and where can I buy one? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL