The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New wire for loops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Hey, guys, we've talked about wire for loops before, but I thought I'd post about a new wire I found. I don't know if it's really new, but I just found it last week.

In a craft store, like Michaels or AC Moore, you'll find this wire in the bead section. It comes in a few different colors and sizes, but I found the black 26 gauge type to work very well. It's called Stringing and is made by Jewelry Essentials. A 20 yard coil of it cost $1.89. That's enough wire to make about 65 loops.

Just thought I'd pass it on.
Where the magic begins
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Sounds like a good deal. How's the strength/durability compared to other wires you've tried, and is it a matte black? Many of the crafter wires I've seen are shiny.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
You can buy "picture frame" wire... the type of woven wire used to put on the back of picture frames to hang. Often times, it will come in a picture hanging kit. Unweave the wire, and use a single strand. Paint it flat black, and you are ready to go. If you have an orthodontist friend, you can also use braces wire. Dr. Bob Escher (former president of IBM) used this for years.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Michael, it's not real shiny, but not quite flat black either. I haven't had any problems with it. I wear a tux which has silky lapels, so it blends it well. It's so thin, it really doesn't matter. As for strength, I haven't used it long enough to really offer an opinion on it from actual practice, but I did bend a section back and forth rapidly, and it took about 18 bends before it got warm enough to break. Since we don't bend the loops like that, I don't see it being a problem. I don't bend the loop at all, so it won't be an issue at all for me.

Crispy, another good tip with the picture frame wire. The jewelry wire and standard wire I have been using just eliminates the step of painting.
Where the magic begins
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
I used this wire for all my loops. They are pretty dependable, and I just leave them shinny like that. So far, no one ever mentioned to me, what are those wires hanging out of your jacket? ...yet.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks, Dave. It's always good to have plenty of options!
Mister Mystery
AnthonytheMagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of AnthonytheMagic
I, personally, have used Andy Amyx's dove wire for at least 12 years... I swear by it!!! It's never let me down, and I can perform within a foot of someone!
Anthony
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I've used Andy's wire, wire from the hardware store, floral wire and monofilament. This wire is just another option.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks for the info, Dave.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New wire for loops (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL