The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » Paul Daniels (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I am of the opinion that Paul Daniels is one of the best magicians ever. In his long career he professionally presented manipulation, mentalism, illusions, parlour, close up, gambling, and lots of comedy.
My favourite Daniels magic was his time period slot from his tv show called Mississippi magic. He played the part of a riverboat gambler and displayed sleight of hand with cards and coins. He was a jovial hustler from the era- it was wonderful. Without a doubt my favourite period magic.

Rodney
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
I'd like to contact Paul Daniels, anybody knows how I can do that? I tried through his website but did not get any answer... Is he a member here? Thanks for any help!
gautamagick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of gautamagick
I do agree with Rodney. Paul has inspired a generation to get into magic. His TV show popularized magic. He has presented most areas himself and also some of the best talents from over the world as his guests. His wit and the ease of his presentation is something saught by every magician.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
A living definition of a master magician.
bertoneski
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of bertoneski
Although Paul Daniels was/is a good performer his television show may well have done damage to the presentation of magic in the UK. Why do I say this? Paul Daniels has been perceived and lampooned as smug, egotistical and annoying. In the UK there was a satirical show called Spitting Image a funny and popular show that would have his diminutive puppet being annoying almost every week. In interview and on non magical performances on TV and radio he has done little to counteract this image. When one performer becomes synonymous with one art form (let us say like Tony Hawk with skateboarding or Derren Brown with mentalism) there is a danger that that artform will be highly coloured by that one person's personality - for better or for worse.

In the UK, for 10 years, Paul Daniels was magic. Perhaps not so in the USA and therefore he does not come with this baggage.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-05-03 08:06, bertoneski wrote:
Although Paul Daniels was/is a good performer his television show may well have done damage to the presentation of magic in the UK. Why do I say this? Paul Daniels has been perceived and lampooned as smug, egotistical and annoying. In the UK there was a satirical show called Spitting Image a funny and popular show that would have his diminutive puppet being annoying almost every week. In interview and on non magical performances on TV and radio he has done little to counteract this image. When one performer becomes synonymous with one art form (let us say like Tony Hawk with skateboarding or Derren Brown with mentalism) there is a danger that that artform will be highly coloured by that one person's personality - for better or for worse.

In the UK, for 10 years, Paul Daniels was magic. Perhaps not so in the USA and therefore he does not come with this baggage.

I understand Frank Sinatra wasn't always the nicest guy in the world- it didn't change his talent as a singer.

I read that Dai Vernon wasn't the most devoted family man- didn't alter his status as a close-up legend.

Paul Daniels was/is one of the greats.

P.S. I remember Spitting Image- talking puppets I believe.

Rod
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
I think he is a great magician I grew up watching him.

Posted: May 20, 2010 3:25pm
I also remembered that I had his magic kit. In the UK he was the man who got you interested in magic.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
I've hear from my UK friends he's become a parody of himself.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 16:19, cairo wrote:
I've hear from my UK friends he's become a parody of himself.

So what?
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Having Personally met Paul & Debbie privately and seen him live many times. He is a fabulous person as is Debbie - both very thoughtful about where Magics been & going.

Of course he's a Legend, He deserves it! And he's still working and performing.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Paul Daniels is a living legend.

Regards,
Mike
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Very recently on 'carpool':
http://llewtubevideo.blip.tv/file/3469885/
Excellent trick from 25:00 onwards.

Also, just google "chop cup" for his excellent routine.
Also google "vanishing elephant" for a surprising vanish of an elephant in an open field.

A true legend. Surely if no-one in the UK can get his magic show back on TV, then someone in the US must be able to?
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
The best Paul Daniels episode that I remember seeing was where he had several guests:
A Japanese illusionist, a clown that pulled everything out of his outfit, a puppeteer with a spikey red mullet that sawed a miniature doll version of Debbie McGee in half, a german magician that did water magic..
All fantastic acts.. then at the end - he revealed that all of the guests were HIM in prosthetic make-up.. It is what got me interested in Special Effects Make up- which is what I do as a profession now.
It was an awesome episode - anyone else remember this one??
Damien
puppetsandgore.com
PhiltheBear
View Profile
New user
Southampton, UK
72 Posts

Profile of PhiltheBear
Just for those that don't know - Paul Daniels had an accident in his workshop and removed part of his fingers. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16664742

He has recently said that he's been able to perform some coin magic for his surgeon, who is impressed with his progress.
--

PhiltheBear
Unusualist
imagine
View Profile
New user
oxfordshire
69 Posts

Profile of imagine
I remember Paul Daniels when I was a kid. He had 2 shows, one was with the character wizbit, a yellow walking triangle cone and a show where a variety of magicians performed. One of the magicians he had that comes to mind was when he had a guy do a body effect with his fingers and that he had an extra supply of fingers as a backup Smile.
Justin M. Monehen
View Profile
New user
UK
50 Posts

Profile of Justin M. Monehen
Hi there - loved the Paul Daniels Magic Show and have most episodes on DVD (converted from old off-air videos). Would love to complete my collection - so if anyone has any old episodes I would be happy to swap etc. Anyways - great magician, fantastic show - got me into magic and therefor paid my bills for the last 20 years Smile
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
Quote:
On 2012-02-08 14:40, Justin M. Monehen wrote:
Hi there - loved the Paul Daniels Magic Show and have most episodes on DVD (converted from old off-air videos). Would love to complete my collection - so if anyone has any old episodes I would be happy to swap etc. Anyways - great magician, fantastic show - got me into magic and therefor paid my bills for the last 20 years Smile

I have several of his episodes on VHS, but the tapes are getting noisy. I'll be glad to share with you the ones I have (three or four seasons). I have met Paul and he is one of the top magicians alive: great entertainer and a truly complete conjurer and showman.
TomFoolery
View Profile
New user
Gloucester
83 Posts

Profile of TomFoolery
Paul Daniels is on Facebook and twitter
manananmaclir
View Profile
New user
Port Hadlock
60 Posts

Profile of manananmaclir
I saw him perform live when I was a kid. I never missed his TV show. Loved him!
bigcheese
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
56 Posts

Profile of bigcheese
I saw the Louis Theroux documentary that featured Paul and Debbie, and was pleased to hear that this did a lot for his image in the UK. He had started performing more to fund his wife's ballet company after a period of semi retirement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » Paul Daniels (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL