The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Balsa Wood varnish question. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
After a nice stain job,I would like to render the wood shiny.
Can shellac or a similar be used without changing the wheight?
Any help please. Don
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Anything added to the wood will add weight. How much is acceptable, is your choice.

I've only worked with Balsa for model airplane building when I was a kid, but it seems to be a fairly porous wood. This means it will soak up some finishes like a sponge. I'm not sure without experimenting, but a wood sealer before the varnish may minimize that.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Thank you Mr. Baker
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
If you're going to be using shellac,you should be applying it with a rubber not a brush.
This is reasonably easy to do on straight flat areas,but,due to the reversable nature of shellac,becomes a bit trickier on more ornate areas.
Using a rubber instead of a brush,brings up the finish a lot faster using less material,as a lot of the time you're applying very little but using it as a burnishing medium working the previously applied polish(shellac)
If you can get your hands on pale polish,rather than the more standard button polish,it will give a more natural hue to the finish rather than the yellow tinge that button polish gives.
The amount of polish used will be tiny and the weight negligable.
A rubber is basically some cotton wool/wadding,wrapped into a pear shape with some lint free fine cotton cloth.Obviously it has to have one flat face which you use to apply the polish.
Another way would be to apply a few coats of polish,then finish with wax and a fine wire wool(000 grade)
In this case,the finish hasn't got to be hard wearing,as the substrate is so soft any finish applied will make no difference to its durability.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have used Minwax Polyurethane sealer successfully on balsa wood. Of course I was not so concerned with added weight, so I cannot really comment on that.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
When I looked at Ray's profile and noticed his occupation, it made me wish I knew how to speak English so I would know what the heck he was talking about. Smile

Lord, I feel so inadequate some days...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2010-02-17 14:13, Michael Baker wrote:
When I looked at Ray's profile and noticed his occupation, it made me wish I knew how to speak English so I would know what the heck he was talking about. Smile

Lord, I feel so inadequate some days...

Michael,if you heard me talk with my broad Nottingham accent,you'd have less of a clue.
I'll keep trying for everybody though.
Cheers,Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Hi Ray,
Thank you for the feed back sir.
Question:
If I used a spray clear coat shine?(spray can)

So if understand it, instaed of using a standard brush, I would instead use a spunge brush or a rolled up cotton wad to pass along the wood.
Correct me please.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Don,I'll try and get a few pictures up for you,it may be easier to follow.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Thank you Ray. Very kind of you.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I made a dancing cane out of balsa wood ... first painted it, and then a coat of polyurethane. Weight increase was minimal.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Balsa Wood varnish question. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL