The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Well, Halloween's only 8 months away... time to start planning! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Some of you may recall I rather extensively decorated my sister-in-law's house last Halloween. In case you don't, I'll repost the link to the album:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=20......4174b288

This year, I expect an even bigger crowd, and want to outdo myself. The PVC corridor will be easy to extend, and this time, I'm going to build a platform or two on the patio steps, extending the area from a 3'x3' square into a much larger space. This will also allow me to put a trap door or two under the platform to allow for much more dramatic effects, maybe involving hiding an actor or machinery.

The main problem is I haven't yet decided on which dramatic effects will be featured. My main limitations- cost, and manpower. I don't want to spend too much money on the whole thing; maybe less than $100 bucks or so. With a few exceptions, everything last year was built from scrap materials. (I may be willing to buy an air compressor if I need to power props, since I can use it in my workshop for other things as well.)
The manpower is the biggest issue, since it's about the only thing I've got to control any props (for now.) I can count on having enough people to set up, but unless I manage to recruit some neighbors (which may be difficult as I don't live on that street), I'll have at most two actors, including myself, so the props will need to be static, self-working, or controlled with a simple lever/pulley. I might be able to hook up a control board, but the platforms will probably use most of my budget for this year (and I know next to nothing about making and programming circuitry. I'm willing to learn if necessary, though.)

One piece of scrap I definately want to try to use is the large glass plate off the front of an old rear-projection TV... Pepper's Ghost, yay! Except I don't know the best way to use it yet- if there's a live actor as a ghost, that'll probably have to be me, leaving few options for controlling the other props.

So, anyone have some cool Halloween ideas they want to share?
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile Smile I remember the future, yes I remember it well.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Got a spare TV and a VCR or DVD player? Could do the animated version of a peppers ghost.
A giant moving eyeball done with that can be quite effective.
Go to instructables.com for a lot of cheap home built ideas.
I'll keep thinking of more with a little time!
Gwyd
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Thanks Gwyd- that's a great idea. I could probably use a computer monitor or larger LCD. And coincidentally, I've just started playing around with Blender 3d, which should be able to easily render CGI videos of eyeballs or ghosts or what have you (if I can figure it out.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Sweeeeet!
Do check out instructables though- There are some serious geniuses on there!
Gwyd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Well, Halloween's only 8 months away... time to start planning! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL