The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Nail Writer’s Routines? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Do any of you know if a publication exists for Nail Writers?

Thanks for responding!

Steve Landavazo Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Sam Dalal has a booklet, "The Swami Gimmick." Lee Earle has an EXCELLENT video called "The Swami Gimmick Teach-In." There are also sections in Anneman and in Corinda's 13 steps.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Thanks Greatscott!

I appreciate it, and will look into it!

Steve Landavazo Smile Smile
FighterRobinson
View Profile
New user
Valparaiso, Indiana, USA
4 Posts

Profile of FighterRobinson
Magic, Inc. in Chicago publishes an inexpensive booklet titled, "20 stunners with a nail writer". I can't recall the authors name, but you may be able to find it elsewhere. Otherwise, I also recomend Lee Earle's video.

Patrick
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Greatscott and Patrick!

Great references!

Thanks!

Steve Landavazo Smile
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
May I suggest you catch Marc Salem's live act if ever you get the chance. You will get a wonderful primer in the art of using a nailwriter under practical, working conditions.

Secondly, I feel the best routines which involve a NW use it in conjunction with some other methodology (e.g. switch, one-ahead, one-behind) to compound the mystery.

Take the most basic of NW routines. "Let's play think a letter. OK, I've written one down. What did you think of? Hey presto that's what I wrote!". You can do this and impress people, but it's a lousy piece of magic (a) because quite a lot of laymen won't be fooled by it and (b) because even if they are fooled, they aren't entertained.

On the other hand, suppose you construct a two-part prediction effect, with a force taking care of one prediction and a NW taking care of the other. You can construct the routine so that the two methods strengthen each other, and each seems to cancel out the possibility that the other is in use.

May I also recommend a good study of "Mind Myth and Magic" by T A Waters for some superb routines which use a NW in very subtle and inventive ways. It's a must-have book anyway.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Steve - I’ve just remembered another great use for a NW which may be of interest, but I can’t explain it here without divulging the method.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Don't forget Ammar's Easy To Master Nail Writer Miracles.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Gregory Edmunds has come out with a great little book, i.e., Rules of Thumb. You can get it either with or without a writing gimmick. If anyone is interested, e-mail me. I can give you the info and contacts.

For those who believe, no explanation is needed. For those who do not believe, no explanation is necessary. Dunninger
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
"A Boon for All Seasons" by Barrie Richardson and Arrrgh- I can't remember the other name!! Eric Mason???

Anyway- excellent book
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Magus: You are correct. It is Eric Mason, and it is a terrific treatis on the boon writer. The last I talked with Richardson, he said it was out of print, but I know that some of the used magic book dealers occasionally have it. If anyone is interested, try H&R Magic Books.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
JeffHall
View Profile
Regular user
Davis, California
161 Posts

Profile of JeffHall
It is written up in one of Tarbell's books.

Quote:

On 2001-10-10 14:24, Steve Landavazo wrote:

Do any of you know if a publication exists for Nail Writers?

Thanks for responding!

Steve Landavazo Smile

Smile
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
If I can make a shameless plug (for which I make no money, but it’s still fairly shameless :o ) you might want to check out Lee Earle’s Best of SYZYGY, Volume 3 video. The opening effect is my "Deli Delight", which is a fairly unusual use of a Swami. It also includes another bit at the end that helps to erase the tracks a bit, as Ian suggested (something that another performer who ripped off this effect for his lecture notes failed to understand the importance of when he omitted it).

Andy Leviss

Check out my new book for mentalists, Ramblings and Revelations (and other products for magicians and mentalists) at:

http://www.asquaredproductions.com
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Ian, why are they not allowed on the secrets board???

Jonathan Grant
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I believe Ian posted that before he was up to the 50 posts limit.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Allen Gittelson
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
145 Posts

Profile of Allen Gittelson
In my opinion, the most deceptive use of a swami gimmick, as well as nearly any method, is when the method is used implicitly rather than explicitly. While there are many examples of this type of use of a method, I think a couple good examples (that do not use a swami gimick) are Jay Sankey's 'Erdnase Aces' and 'Snowstorm'. There is a good example of such use of a swami gimick in Mind, Myth, and Magic that involves the plot of matching the Kings and Queens of the matching suits that are sealed in envelopes, though I don't recall the name at the moment.

In thoughts,
Allen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Nail Writer’s Routines? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL