The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Bob Solari's Swami Gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Serious question:
How do I tell the sze of my thumb?

Tony
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
Do people make comments about you having abnormally large or miniscule thumbs?

Stick it out and see how many lifts you get offered in an hour:

1 to 2 - small
3 to 6 - medium
6+ - large

Seriously:
Most folk come in at medium and the band (made of metal)has a little give in it which will help you to adjust to your unique digitus primus.

I suppose, if you're really unsure, you could always send Bob a scanned copy of your hand....
ars est celare artem
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
I have been looking for a swami writer and decided to get this. Best one I have found hands down!. I am glad I found this thread. Great writer at a great price.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
I recently reviewed Solari's Swamis for The Linking Ring magazine. Although my review has not yet been published (there is usually a 2-3 month lead time between submission of a review and its publication), here is what I said:

“Swami” is a term used synonymously with “nail writer” in reference to a device used, primarily by mentalists, to accomplish secret writing. These, which are hand-crafted by Bob Solari, are the type usually referred to as “band” writers. Other styles are known variously as “nail,” “boon,” “scarab,” “swami” or “thumb” depending on their design which dictates the manner in which they are worn.

These are nicely made but are no different from the band writers I have that were made by various others. While all are adjustable to some degree, Bob’s are available in three distinct sizes — small, medium and large — each of which is further adjustable to ensure a good fit. Such devices are individually designed to write with either pencil lead, or Listo pencil grease/wax (sometimes referred to as "china markers"), or ball-point pen. Bob’s are Listo style and an extra supply of the Listo grease/wax is included along with illustrated instructions showing both how to “wear” it and how to replace the “lead”.

Similar writers, as well as those of the other designs/types are available from a variety of sources including YFD. Unfortunately, which particular design/type is best for you is something that I’m afraid can only be determined through trial and error. Prices will vary widely depending on type, quality and manufacturer, but a quick check of some other sources reveals that Bob’s are reasonably priced when compared to other writers of comparable quality.

Detailed descriptions of the various designs/types of writers can be found in many books but, by far, the most comprehensive reference work is The Nail Writer Anthology by Thomas Baxter. Originally published as a downloadable e-book it has recently been published in a hardcover edition and is available from H&R Magic Books as well as YFD. In addition to covering the history, evolution and types of writers it contains routines by many of the leading exponents of their use, as well as sources, etc.
Dick Christian
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Great review, thanks DC.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Smile
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Noob question: How easy it it easy to ditch? Like leaving it in your pocket when you take out whatever you wrote on? If it fits snugly that's a good thing when you're writing but I wonder if it presents any difficulty when you need to get rid of it.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Magicsoccer
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Magicsoccer
Solari’s Swami Secure by Bob Solari $19.95- Available from bobsolarimagic.com

Description: This is a mentalist's secret weapon! It is a secret writing device that will fit on either your right or left thumb. It has been designed to stay securely in place while writing. It is slightly adjustable for most size thumbs. Each unit is hand crafted and hand painted by Bob. Each unit comes with an extra supply of black writing wax (Listo).

Review: This is a well-made Listo-style band writer that is well priced. The gimmick is virtually undetectable, very stable to write with, adjusts well to stay securely in place on either the right or left thumb (available in small, medium and large) and can be used in a variety of mentalism effects. The bold writing is effective from close-up to stage. I feel $19.95 is a bargain and it should last a lifetime.

Bob provides all of the details you need from touching up your Swami Secure if it ever scratches to information for ordering additional writing wax. Although mentalists may know how to make a similar style, this is well-made and ready-to-go the moment you receive it. No routines are provided as it assumed you have a working knowledge of "Swami Gimmicks.” I have been using the Swami Secure in combination with Houdini’s Silent Prediction (message on back of the Houdini Card) with great success. Highly Recommended.
Magicsoccer
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Magicsoccer
Quote:
On 2011-09-23 22:29, Rocketeer wrote:
Noob question: How easy it it easy to ditch? Like leaving it in your pocket when you take out whatever you wrote on? If it fits snugly that's a good thing when you're writing but I wonder if it presents any difficulty when you need to get rid of it.

I have found it easy to ditch when you go to your pocket.
ranilperera
View Profile
New user
North London
66 Posts

Profile of ranilperera
Anyone got a UK based source for this? Shipping from U.S is really pricey. :-/
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2010-03-21 10:52, tgaffney wrote:
Just recieved mine via Hank Lee.

Gimic feels great and writes like a champ.

Question.

What do you use to write with that matches the gimmic writing?
Pen? Black crayon? Other?

Here you go... http://www.listo.com/pencil.htm

Ray
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Or just use a china marking pencil.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I have the Vernet one in a TT. Cn anyone that has used both compare?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I picked this up from Bob after reading multiple praises about it.

I posted elsewhere that I think it's wonderful. It's just perfect for me.Bo has a clear photo of it on the site so you know exactly what you're getting. It comes with an extra supply of the listo. Writes bold to be seen clearly. It's adjustable and it stays in place. Easy on, easy off.

http://bobsolarimagic.com/shop/Mentalism......20Secure
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
Quote:
On , ranilperera wrote:
Anyone got a UK based source for this? Shipping from U.S is really pricey. :-/
Same as above, anyone know where I can get a band style in uk .
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Bob Solari's Swami Gimmick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL