The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids show, what to do...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
Hey guys and gals,

I have a kids show coming up, I am a teacher so I know how to interact with the youngins but what kind of material should I use??

I assume that prof. nightmare and spongeballs are a must and some easy to follow card magic...

If you could steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it...

ps I hope I posted this in the right place..

Ari
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Do whatever you do best. nothing else.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
wbzwolinski
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of wbzwolinski
Ari,

You can do anything that you normally do just gear it toward the age group. What is the age range of the children. I would not use a regular deck of cards to do a card trick for ages 6 and below (7 may even be pushing it). Stay away from card magic for younger kids unless it is a card effect marketed toward that age range. These cards are typically cards with animal pictures etc.

Obviously if they are too young to read you are not going to use effects dealing with words that they need to read as the effect finale (i.e. ABC Stung).

Like Frank says above "Do whatever you do best" ...but gear it to the age range you are perfoming for.

Wolly
Keep it Simple...Play it BIG!!!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Newtomagic
Don't do any card magic for the little ones, they will not be interested, but if they are 12 and older cards will be just fine.

Do you belong to the local SAM, or IBM?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
I do not, but I attend the local IBM ring meetings when time allows.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
1. Have you ever done a kids show before?
2. What tricks have you used in previous shows?
3. Did you agree to do this show before you had a show ready?
4. If you did not have a show ready, do you have a series of tricks that you've been previously working on, that you could use in a show?
5. Check out the Little Darlings "Index" to find tons of ideas on show structure, tricks to use, comedy ideas, etc.

Brian
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I am curious what you have in your repetoir now.

Perhaps there is something workable to formulate a show for children that
the more experienced here can help with.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Ari
first off do you perform regularly now? if not you must understand that you cannot "just do" a kid show, close up show, stage show, Insert your favorite show and expect it to go well. You must develope a character, write a script for that character complete with choreography and stage direction, learn the script,rehearse the show, test the show before a gentle and friendly audience audience, re write the show etc based on real feedback, repeat the whole process then throw everything away and start over at least twice before you are ready. otherwise you are just a teacher who bought some tricks off the internet.
I step down now.
Michael
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I suggest you work with humor. Ham it up, make it funny, have a good time and the kids will too.

Rope tricks, vanishes, productions, restorations. All of these are good. You can make a killer act with a TT, a silk, a newspaper, some rope, and some random items from around the house. Or you can spend thousands on props that bomb because you are trying to use props to drive the show instead of using your abilities to drive the show and props to help out.

I'd suggest a puppet routine, a rope routine, no more than one card trick (with a signed card - they might forget their card, but never their name), and balloons.

Kids magic is not easier than adult magic. Kids are a great audience, but if you are not prepared to entertain them, they won't be merciful like the adults who pretend they are delighted to see another obscure pick-a-card trick. Practice for a video camera and be very critical of yourself.

Oh, and advice that Steven has given on this board: get a book of kid jokes and memorize plenty of them. Silly jokes can save a so-so show.

-Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids show, what to do...? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL