The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Extreme Burn not working properly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Neuromancer
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Neuromancer
I just got and made Extreme Burn (2.0), so far so good.
However I have a question regarding the gimmick. It is pretty ... I guess the word is "stiff", and that becomes a problem: When I try to do the change, the side that flips over is first of all flipping over very reluctantly and second of all it doesn't stay flipped. Instead it bends up a little again, exposing of course what should not be exposed. (and yes, I use the gimmick that comes with it!!)
I think I may have something to do the way I glued it together?! Anyone know what that could be? (hated handiwork in school, so I am all thumbs Smile Smile )
Oh and I use crisp, but NOT brandnew bills, as I read somewhere here that they don't work as good.
cya

Neuromancer
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Neuromancer,

Perhaps you can try moving the gimmick closer to the edge of the bills?
The first time I experimented with the construction of the bill(s) I had the gimmick in a little to "in". Once I moved it back closer to the edge it worked a ton better for me.
Hope this helps out!

rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
Neuromancer
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Neuromancer
Thanks rochaz, I was thinking about that, too. I will check that at home, but I have a feeling, that I need like 5 gimmicks in order to bend it down.

Also, is it possible, that it take a while until the gimmick is "worn in"? Maybe I just need to put it in between some books? Smile
cya

Neuromancer
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
If the gimmick was constructed as per the instructions then it should be ready to go....however it certainly helps to break it in.
As you practice the effect it will become easier to work with the bills.

Richard does state on EB2 that he occasionally "stores" the gimmick under a heavy book.

rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I store mine folded in my wallet. This really helps with the flattening process.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Quote:
On 2010-03-10 10:46, Sammy J. wrote:
I store mine folded in my wallet. This really helps with the flattening process.

Sammy

You're right Sammy....as long as the gimmick is stored flat/folded it should always keep its "shape".

rochaz
Whit Hayden

gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-03-10 08:52, Neuromancer wrote:
Thanks rochaz, I was thinking about that, too. I will check that at home, but I have a feeling, that I need like 5 gimmicks in order to bend it down.

Also, is it possible, that it take a while until the gimmick is "worn in"? Maybe I just need to put it in between some books? Smile

5 gimmicks! Might as well use a brick! Perhaps move it up a tad. I'm still using the original EB and I've never had any problem whatsoever. Works like a dream. Oh, and one other tip that I have (not giving away anything here as it would make no sense unless you had it). Since the day I had the original EB I placed a piece of Scotch Mystic tape (the invisible frosted tape) folded over the edge of the protruding bill. Makes it hold up better and you can VERY easily feel it. Works like a charm and of course it can NOT be seen. Just make sure it's the same width of the bill. You can tape a larger piece on, fold it over and then simply use an Exacto blade to trim it off to the edges (width) of the bill.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
It also helps to use bills that aren't brand new -- ones that are in very good shape, but have been circulated a bit. This gives them a flexibility that new bills don't have.

Cheers,
Jerry
Rogaine-4-Ewoks
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Rogaine-4-Ewoks
Yes, I had the same problem at first. But after using a while it becomes smoother. You might want to move the gimmick closer to the edge of the bill, so its easier to flip. Another thing, I fold the packet of 1s together and the packet of other bill together and store them separately inside a thick book. The gimmick bill I have it flat inside a book thus you can not see the crease as much. I made a few of these gimmicks and its kind of weird, some just flips better. It could be the amount of glue at the part where the bills meet. If you have the time, just make another one!
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
Running the bills along a table edge both ways goes a long way to softening them up. This works well for the special section too!

Regards,

Mark
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
One piece of advice (which may or may not be in the Extreme burn videos BUT may be in the Slow Burn video) is when constructing the gimmick, do not glue the entire flap all the way to the crease. If you leave yourself a quarter of an inch or so of unglued surface, it almost allows the fold to create a deeper pocket. This also eliminates having to trim down the other bills. Do this on every flap and you should be able to see a difference.

Cheers.

Justin
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
JustinInvisible, interesting tip, I will have to give that a try
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Your problem is( assumiing you construction the gimmick propperly) is that your probably using new bills, as suggested by richard sanders on the dvd. I have built a lot of extrme burn gimmicks, and had this problem many times. You need to use slightly worn/circulated bills. Now this is worn, not all bent up and creased. THey obviously need to still be flat and without tears or creases, but they should be worn. Now worn bills are actually going to make a thicker gimmick,, so before you construct it,, put them into a thick book and get them flat,, then I iron them,, then construct the gimmick. THis will make the gimmick the same thickness, but they will be worn and completely eliminate the breaking in process. It makes the perfect gimmick which makes the,, you know what,, flip easily and comfortably.
Eli
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Extreme Burn not working properly (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL