The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » David Williamson coming to Canada - April 2010 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Lee Asher
View Profile
V.I.P.
496 Posts

Profile of Lee Asher
This just in from Winnipeg...

LEARN ONE CARD ROUTINE EVERY MAGICIAN MUST KNOW
Click Here To Get Started Right Away
Matman
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Matman
Great Picture!

I just wanted to say thanks to Kent and all the guys/gals from the Edmonton Magic Club for hosting another wonderful lecture with David Williamson. It didn't hurt that I got one of the two front row seats in the 50/50 draw either! It was great to see one of my "hero's" in magic.

Matt
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
David's lecture was great!! I had mine in vancouver last night, good job David!!

looking forward to see you again !!
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
Lee Asher
View Profile
V.I.P.
496 Posts

Profile of Lee Asher
David Williamson's tour is now over. Thanks to everyone who helped make it a super success.

Below is a review of David Williamson's lecture by Professor Ray Hyman from Eugene, Oregon.

REVIEW OF DAVID WILLIAMSON LECTURE, APRIL 24TH,2010 BY Ray Hyman

The lecturers in the X-elent Lecture Series have been so consistently outstanding, that it is impossible to pick out any individual one as the best. Although David Williamson began by informing us that he was not a professional lecturer, his lecture was as good as it can get. He told us he was simply going to show and teach us tricks. He did this and much more. By my count he performed and taught us 13 tricks. They included effects with spoons, pens, cards, ropes, salt, silk, coins, cups and balls. Each trick was from his repertoire and each was a winner. All this was embedded in a continuous outpouring of wonderful humor. Dave does not use gags or jokes for his humor. Instead, he tells stories about his adventures with and among magicians and audiences. The stories are fascinating and the humor derives from the context and actions of the cast of characters. I would say that Dave's humor is less like that of Bob Hope and more like that of Jack Benny.

David taught important principles of misdirection and other aspects of making effective magic. He emphasized consistency such as always holding your hands the same way-whether or not you have something palmed in them.
When to look at what you are doing and when to look at the spectator(s). He especially emphasized that less is more. These principles were always illustrated in the context of explaining the modus operandi of the tricks. His rope routine was short and sweet. In this he was going contrary to the current fad of including every wrinkle from George Sands, Tabary, Daryl, Richard Sanders. Less is more was also demonstrated with his cups and balls routine which uses only two rather than three cups.

Within the context of explaining his tricks, he included valuable lessons and tips on sleights and moves. He gave us a rather complete explanation of the top change-including how to do it, when to do it, etc. Along the way he even got into deck switches, proper use of the thumb tip, a non-gaffed coins across routine, etc.

When he finished his lecture, everyone spontaneously stood up and gave him a standing ovation. I do not recall this happening with any of our previous lecturers.

After the lecture several us accompanied David to a nearby restaurant/brewery where David had his supper. He also performed some more for us and told us some more wonderful stories.

We had a very large turnout. Even though I can list at least seven (and I am sure that there were even more) regulars who did not attend. These no-shows were more than replaced by the large number of attendees who I had not seen before as well as several who came long distances from Roseburg, Corvallis, Ashland, and even Portland and beyond.

Although David said he was not a professional lecturer, I would rate his lecture as first rate on every dimension that counts.

Ray Hyman
LEARN ONE CARD ROUTINE EVERY MAGICIAN MUST KNOW
Click Here To Get Started Right Away
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » David Williamson coming to Canada - April 2010 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL