The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Simple Math Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
There is a simple math puzzle where you have the spec add up a small column of numbers and they are wrong. It is something like this:

-----

and they answer 5,000

Is this the correct configuration of numbers?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
That's about how I recall it.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Usually, I've seen it with the two-digit numbers going in the 40-30-20-10 order:

-----

This way, they can kind of pick up the pattern of every other number decreasing by 10, and it helps the anticipation along.
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
461 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I've used this MANY times. It fooled me the first time I heard it and just fooled my wife, twice! It's hard to pack lighter and play bigger than an opening like this....

carl
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2010-04-07 01:16, CarlEJones wrote:
I've used this MANY times. It fooled me the first time I heard it and just fooled my wife, twice! It's hard to pack lighter and play bigger than an opening like this....

carl

Agreed.
It's funny I just saw this thread. If Scott Cram had $1 for every time I sent him a PM requesting this sequence...
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Hmm? I guess I've never seen this. Are they doing it on paper or just out loud and in their heads? The reason I asked is that I just did it and got the right answer so there must be some sort of subtlety I'm missing.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2010-04-09 21:46, Greg Arce wrote:
Hmm? I guess I've never seen this. Are they doing it on paper or just out loud and in their heads? The reason I asked is that I just did it and got the right answer so there must be some sort of subtlety I'm missing.

Greg

I can't remember the first place I saw this, but I do remember it was in print (and it went from left to right instead of stacked). I remember that I did initially calculate 5000, but as I was turning the page to see the answer, it occurred to me that the number actually would not be that big. Regardless, I'd been victim to not thinking it through. So, I use it (I have it written on the board from left to right done via mental calculation) with students and parents, and usually, the majority of people calculate 5000.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Thanks for the correct order Scott.

Greg, this is always done out loud. Most of the time their final total is 5,000. Even if repeated usually they still get 5,000. And it helps that FOUR THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED just does not roll off the tounge easily.

The reason you got it right is because you are a BRAINIAC!
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Weak. Very weak.
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
Here is another test:
Inflation?
10 $ = 1000 ct
10 $ = 20 ct x 50 ct
10 $ = 1/5 $ x 1/2 $
10 $ = 1/10 $
10 $ = 10 ct
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Ummm...wouldn't 20 cents * 50 cents by 1000 cents^2 (squared)? (Whatever "cents squared" means.)

1000 cents = 20 cents * 50 sets (of 20 cents each), or...
1000 cents = 50 cents * 20 sets (of 50 cents each)

This is one of my pet peeves in math: 2 + 2 does NOT equal 4! 2 units plus 2 units equals 4 units. There's a surprisingly big difference.
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
:=))
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I agree that this is not the strongest item in the world.

I believe it was in the book Science Puzzlers. The book claims that many people do calculate the incorrect sum of 5000. I recall the way it is presented is key. Here it was proposed in challenge fashion and written instead of being spoken, which makes it easier to get the write answer.

Scott Cram wrote:
Quote:
This is one of my pet peeves in math: 2 + 2 does NOT equal 4! 2 units plus 2 units equals 4 units. There's a surprisingly big difference.

Scott, in mathematics, 2 + 2 does equal 4. Quantities (counts) are dimensionless.

In the example posed above (20 cents times 50 cents), the "20" would typically be dimensionless. In that case,, the final units would be "cents", not cents squared. What was originally written made no cents! Smile
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-05-14 09:45, Scott Cram wrote:
Ummm...wouldn't 20 cents * 50 cents by 1000 cents^2 (squared)? (Whatever "cents squared" means.)

Yes. (Assuming that you meant be, not by.)

This is one reason that using standard deviation as a measure of dispersion is preferable to using variance: the units are the same as those of the mean.

Quote:
This is one of my pet peeves in math: 2 + 2 does NOT equal 4!

It does, actually. I'm not sure why you think otherwise.

(Unless you meant that 2 + 2 # 24 (= 4!) (where "#" means "is not equal to"; I cannot get the normal not equal sign to display here); that's true, but it's another matter entirely. Smile )

Quote:
2 units plus 2 units equals 4 units.

True enough.

Quote:
There's a surprisingly big difference.

Again, true enough. However, that big difference notwithstanding, both equations are true.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-05-16 17:28, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

I know this is true because it's on a t-shirt my daughter bought me.

(However, I prefer the other t-shirt she bought me: the one with the capsaicin molecule (even though it uses an out-of-fashion symbol for a benzene ring (with alternating single and double carbon-carbon bonds)).)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Simple Math Test (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL