The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » You HAVE to watch this! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 16:59, Oyama wrote:
... After Callahan left the show here in the states..I was bored and stopped watching. Says something about this art we call mentalism and what we as performers THINK people want to see.

I was bored after the first couple acts of Phenomenon. The routine on YouTube had (at best) a disconnected plot and a method nearly as transparent as reading Star magazine to gain information about a celebrity that you then reveal. If this is the future of mentalism, then I am truly saddened.

Regards, Steve
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
Yachanin

If you were bored after the first couple of acts on phenomenon, how do you think non performers felt? This was supposed to be the "best" our art had to offer.

Derren Brown is considered by MANY to be the best mentalist working today. He didn't last long here in the states. Angel is considered by MANY to be one of the worst mentalist working today, yet he has been on since 2005.

Makes me wonder.
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Influenced by Joker, Derren Brown and Harrary!!!

lol
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
I think this guy in the video crossed so many lines it a pain to watch. A performer going for Shock and awe is one thing, however; being rude, crude and socially unacceptable is something completely different.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2010-03-28 15:55, Oyama wrote:
Yachanin

If you were bored after the first couple of acts on phenomenon, how do you think non performers felt? This was supposed to be the "best" our art had to offer.

Derren Brown is considered by MANY to be the best mentalist working today. He didn't last long here in the states. Angel is considered by MANY to be one of the worst mentalist working today, yet he has been on since 2005.

Makes me wonder.

Lets not forget that Derren got his shot on The Scifi Channel. Their viewing audience is already very small, so Derren was fighting an uphill battle before show 1 hit the air. When that was announced I said it would never make it and the only reason being the channel he was being put on.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Oyama,

I'm not sure many (or any) people consider Chris Angel a mentalist. I think part of the reason he is still on TV is because his routines are visual, whereas most mentalism routines are not. The Joker, I believe, was trying to make it more visual (e.g., the makeup, knife in arm, flames), but you saw the result...

Regards, Steve
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
910 Posts

Profile of backinblack
A little boring but I guess still to shocking for uri geller and the family tv.. ;-)
KBLV
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
188 Posts

Profile of KBLV
The real Joker would have finished the performance, killed the volunteer, then Uri, then everyone else in the studio.

If you're gonna play a character...COMMIT.
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
KBLV

Now that was funny!
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-03-25 17:08, Quinn wrote:
Two words: prizewinning tool.

*choking....*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » You HAVE to watch this! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL