The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Have you ever interviewed a Nobel Laureate? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I spent essentially the entire day yesterday with Dr. Harry Markowitz, co-recipient of the 1990 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences. Originally, Dr. Markowitz said that he could give me and my videographer an hour for the interview. We taped for nearly two hours, went to lunch, then walked around La Jolla for about two hours, talking about Modern Portfolio Theory, mathematics, other notables in economics and finance (Fischer Black, Myron Scholes, Robert Merton, and others), and so on.

He gave me an autographed copy of his book Portfolio Selection, as well as three other books; he autographed a copy of his book for my videographer as well.

What a thrill!

The video will be edited and added to an online course I'm developing for the University of California, Irvine on Modern Portfolio Theory and Dr. Markowitz' efficient frontier. The students will get to see the father of Modern Portfolio Theory talking about portfolio analysis, cracking jokes, and generally being a brilliant, warm, humorous, down-to-earth gentleman. It's going to be the highlight of the course.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I've had dinner with a couple. One, a scientist who shall remain unnamed, was surprisingly naive about anything to do with ethics--which, given his particular field, was a bit startling. Another was a boring dinner companion but gave a remarkable lecture which I will never forget.

I'm glad you had a good day!
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I met the dali lama once, did he win any cool awards?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 11:57, kcg5 wrote:
I met the dali lama once, did he win any cool awards?

I caddied for him once. We finish 18, and he's gonna stiff me! And I say, "Hey! Lama! How about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, "Oh...uh...there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that going for me. Which is nice.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 11:06, S2000magician wrote:
I spent essentially the entire day yesterday with Dr. Harry Markowitz, co-recipient of the 1990 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences. Originally, Dr. Markowitz said that he could give me and my videographer an hour for the interview. We taped for nearly two hours, went to lunch, then walked around La Jolla for about two hours, talking about Modern Portfolio Theory, mathematics, other notables in economics and finance (Fischer Black, Myron Scholes, Robert Merton, and others), and so on.

He gave me an autographed copy of his book Portfolio Selection, as well as three other books; he autographed a copy of his book for my videographer as well.

What a thrill!

The video will be edited and added to an online course I'm developing for the University of California, Irvine on Modern Portfolio Theory and Dr. Markowitz' efficient frontier. The students will get to see the father of Modern Portfolio Theory talking about portfolio analysis, cracking jokes, and generally being a brilliant, warm, humorous, down-to-earth gentleman. It's going to be the highlight of the course.

On a more serious note...that sounds like a great, great time! I've interviewed a presidential candidate, a Chair of the House Rules Committee, the current Secretary of Labor, and an exiled king, but Nobel Laureates.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Lobo, you made my day.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 13:30, kcg5 wrote:
Lobo, you made my day.

I know he's a revered spiritual leader to hundreds of millions, and I apologize profusely if he ever reads this and takes offense, but to me, first and foremost, he'll always be a great Carl Spackler anecdote.

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Carl Spackler?

For some reason I know who you mean, but it kind of freaks me out that you remember the entire name.

I just remember "Carl", which is why no matter how many chess books I might read, you would kick my behind in a match.

"Spackler" speaks worlds about you. Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I briefly met William Golding, but no interview and no dinner. I'm envious and glad you had a great time.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
S2000magician / Bill, any chance the interview video might eventually be made available to those of us here?

I've never formally interviewed anyone in my life (except in the context of job interviews).

I have spent several hours one on one (including lunch) with a MacArthur Fellowship (Genius Award) winner. A few months back I attended a lecture given by a winner of the Rolf Schock Prize in Logic and Philosophy. And I once presented a paper in a session, in which one or two of the other 3 or 4 speakers (I was then told) are potential winners of the "Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel".
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x-nQ-vPw5k

for the record...my membership at bushwood country club has lapsed, but I did know his last name

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

Dr. Harry Markowitz, co-recipient of the 1990 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences.

Officially the "Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel".

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economics/laureates/

Ironically, I've read that Alfred Nobel was actually very dismissive of Economics and Economic Sciences. The economics award was created in 1968 by Sweden’s central bank in honour of its 300th anniversary and first awarded in 1969, and was not one of the prizes set up in accordance with Alfred Nobel's will. His great great nephew has often spoken out on this, e.g. see http://www.thelocal.se/2173/20050928/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
And you know, of course, the story (anecdotal? I'm not sure) of why there was never a Nobel Prize in Mathematics . . .

And for Spackler fans:
http://www.carlspackler.com/verbatim.html
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 14:44, landmark wrote:

And you know, of course, the story (anecdotal? I'm not sure) of why there was never a Nobel Prize in Mathematics . . .

I wasn't entirely sure, so I had to google for it:

http://nobelprizes.com/nobel/why_no_math.html
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks for the link, though I like the gossip.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 14:13, balducci wrote:
S2000magician / Bill, any chance the interview video might eventually be made available to those of us here?

The videographer joked about putting it on YouTube. I'd like to get a copy of the (edited) video; I'll have to see whether the powers-that-be at UCI will allow that. If so, I'll make it available.

Quote:
On 2010-03-27 14:30, balducci wrote:
Quote:
Dr. Harry Markowitz, co-recipient of the 1990 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences.

Officially the "Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel".

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economics/laureates/

True enough.

However, the medal he showed us looked a darn sight like a real Nobel Prize.

(Actually, it was a replica. The original - gold - is in a safe or safety deposit box or something. He thinks.)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes.........but never on a Sunday.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Have you ever interviewed a Nobel Laureate? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL