The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Kellar's Golden Butterfly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The poster is iconic... can anyone tell me the plot of this?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I don't know the specific story but I did a replica painting
of it on a leather jacket... it has such beauty and detail.

I do know from what I understand from my father that the
Moth illusion that Papa Blackstone did is based off of
Keller's Butterfly.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
The Mascot Moth ...
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
The Mascot Moth ...
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
And I believe the Mascot Moth effect is discussed in Jim Steinmeyer's "Hiding the Elephant." Originally done by Maskeleyne and Devant.

So that makes at least two illusions that Kellar "borrowed" from M&D (the other being the Levitation of Princess Karnac). SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks much everyone. I have a friend who is working up a routine with a butterfly. I mentioned the poster, and he asked me what the routine was. I drew a blank because I actually did not know. I am somewhat familiar with the Mascot Moth, though! Thanks again!

Oh, and Frances... I've seen your jacket work. Very nice!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I am almost positive (although not sure) as sethb mentioned
in Hiding the Elephant that Jim does talk about it but
he might have explained the routine. Jim is very good about
describing exactly that.

I haven't been painting jackets lately, I've been doing
felted letter purses and jackets. The last painted item
I did was a purse tho (last summer). I've gotten a lot
of positive feedback. But I've not put any up on my ETSY
page yet.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I found the Mascot Moth description in Hiding the Elephant, but have yet to find any reference for the Golden Butterfly. Kellar's thievery so far seems limited to the levi, from what I found there.

Frances, what is your ETSY seller name, or a link to your page?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
Ceck inside a Sharpe 's book" Cojuror Mechanical etc.etc."
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Quote:
On 2010-03-30 11:14, Michael Baker wrote:
I found the Mascot Moth description in Hiding the Elephant, but have yet to find any reference for the Golden Butterfly. Kellar's thievery so far seems limited to the levi, from what I found there.

Frances, what is your ETSY seller name, or a link to your page?

Kellar was not a thief. The evidence suggests he had a long business relationship with Maskelyne who did not travel with his show. Kellar performed Psycho in England and Maskelyne, known for being litigious, did not bring an action against Kellar. Kellar had all the Maskelyne automatons at one time or another. It was cheaper for Kellar to buy the illusions from Maskelyne as they had been audience-tested and perfected in performance. Kellar had most of the major Maskelyne illusions over a 20-year period. Unlikely that he was continuing the steal them over that long a time.

Further, David Devant was more than happy to have a long and friendly relationship with Kellar. Kellar improved Devant’s Gollywog Ball and had the improved apparatus made in Martinka’s shop for Devant. Devant gave him permission to perform it in his show.

It is highly unlikely that Devant, Maskelyne’s partner, would have had anything to do with Kellar had he been a thief. Kellar was beloved in magic by a great many people including Karl Germain and Houdini.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
David Alexander,

Thanks for setting me straight, as I selected a bad choice of phrasing, based on the words of others from sources other than here.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Michael,

This was not posted to get in your face. I've seen others repeating the same erroneous conclusion based on a poor reading of historical evidence by others. Kellar was a Mason and widely respected in show business, beloved by luminaries in magic. It is unlikely that if he was a thief that he only stole from one person and those people never showed up. He was a good businessman, buying the Flying Birdcage from De Kolta (whose widow later claimed it was purchased from a cousin or other relative) for a very high fee and later trading the secret of the cage to someone who built a show for him…it was that highly prized. Kellar knew the value of things.

He lived out his retirement in Los Angeles, dying in 1922, heavily mourned in magic and Masonic circles.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
David,

I did not take this as a spanking. Smile But, thanks for your additional explanation. I am always open to the truth about magic history. FYI, if you have watched A&E's "The Story of Magic" (the one hosted by Ricky Jay), then you'll know where my original info came from. I will admit that I was a bit taken aback when I first heard that accusation.

What information I knew about Kellar before that time, was sketchy and possibly prone to some magic writers' tendancy to "add the shine", before "adding dirt" became popular. Those earlier stories are what helped fuel my interest in magic almost 50 years ago. I did however, trust that the (credible) source knew more about history than I did.

So again, your enlightening information is appreciated! Smile It's comforting to know things are more like my original beliefs. In spite of what others may want, I really don't want to see the great ones fall from grace. The world needs something to believe in.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Magic!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
james1a
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of james1a
Hi:
I saw the Great Lyle perform the Magic Moth illusion in the 1950s I think. It was quite astonishing.
james1a
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Kellar's Golden Butterfly (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL