The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » My 2 wall deal - marketing help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
This week I am finalizing a deal with a small theater in a small tourist town. We will be doing a daily show there June, July, August.

Usually the types of shows I do are one night shows as fundraisers.

This is quite a different beast as far as marketing goes. We are going to be marketing through the hotels and local businesses with flyers/coupons. We are finishing up the web site and will be linking that to the proper other sites that promote the area.

The town is pretty small - maybe 6 blocks by 6 blocks - they do get about 2m visitors annually tho.

I will not be using many traditional media outlets for one reason or another. billboards - there aren't any in the town. Newspaper - I will use this a very little to advertise to the local surrounding community but the tourist don't read the local paper. TV or Radio - again there is not a single station that the tourist watch or listen to, I will not be purchasing air time. I WILL be contacting both (as well as the newspaper) with press releases though.

So I am looking for any help, suggestions, brainstorming ideas, etc, on how to guerrilla market this to the tourists.

Thanks,
-sb
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
The cast and crew of theater spots like this, such as the GREAT Sweet Fanny Adams Theater in touristy Gatlinburg, TN, generally spend the late morning and early afternoon cruising the streets, restaurants and tourist spots in costume shaking hands, cracking jokes and handing out one-sheets touting their nightly shows. The response is usually pretty good. The friendly interaction between tourists and these "friendly natives" seems to build a rapport and good word of mouth. I rather like this approach as it transforms a faceless, tourist show into a friendly, let's-support-the-artist relationship.

This is also a great opportunity to create co-operative marketing opportunities with noncompetitive businesses in the town. Give discount or complimentary coupons from local businesses to your on-stage volunteers with a "mini commercial" in return for their support of your show. "For being such a good sport, I'd like to give you this coupon good for one free admission to such-&-such wax museum. Interact with over 100 life-life wax celebrities!"
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Sb,
Tell me where you are, I might be able to help. The tourism industry and it's media outlets will be your best bet.

Good Luck,
Kevin
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Skip Way:
I am seriously considering doing close magic at a few restaurants to handle this avenue. The only problem as of now is... If we do 2 shows a day 3pm and 7pm, and I also teach a small kids workshop at the theater at 11 am - is that there is not enough time. I am considering losing the 3pm show in lieu of more one on one marketing via the restaurants. (at least on a few of the days of the week).

This is my first foray into this type of show, so our cast is going to be relatively small for this deal. Myself and one assistant, and possibly one tech. I will consider putting them to work on the street though....

dearwiseone:
sent you a PM

We are located in Wisconsin - between Chicago and Milwaukee. Our tourist mostly come from Chicago and its surrounding area.

to the others who have PMed me so far:
thanks for the PMs!

Thanks for the info. Keep it coming.

-sb
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Think through a typical tourists visit to your town.
Where do they spend their time and money?
Then try and get yourself talked about in those places.

Perhaps a Showcase event where you invite Motel & Hotel owners etc.

Circus owners often do a couple of freebies like that,
Taxi drivers, gas station operators etc
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Find out who sees the tourists the most, hotel clerks spring to mind. Then offer an incedtive to tell the tourists about your show. Develop relationships with those who see the tourists. Usually they try to help each other, a high tide and everyones boat and such.

One word on TV and radio. Why? If you are on vacation, do you really watch much TV or listen to much radio?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Mrhyde:
I really like the showcase idea for hotel and motel owners, as well as local shop owners, etc...

As far as where this town spends most of its time: there is a lake there - that is the "draw". As well as shopping. It is not geared towards kids but there are many families. (who don't really have anything to do....except see my show!) I will be trying to get my promotional flyers into all of the shops and hotels - coupon/flyer, table tents in restaurants and hotel/motels.

Dannydoyle:
As far as TV, Radio in this case... I won't pay for any time, but will contact them with press releases. The main reason is because it is free.

-sb
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Dannydoyle had touched on this, and so did another via PM and another through a phone call - as well as myself independently thinking of it. Great minds and all that....

I am going to offer all the businesses in town a piece of the pie. Each coupon will be coded. I was going to offer $1.5 to $2 (on a $20 ticket) as a cash back incentive to promote my show. All they have to do is stick a flyer into the bag, or mention to families a tid-bit about the show. (Some will do more than others, some won't do anything except keep the flyers on the counter...)

I will offer this "deal" to all the businesses. Shops, hotels, motels, gas stations, B&Bs, everyone!

I am trying to figure the way to do this though....

1. I could offer the "deal" to the business itself. At the end of the month the business owner gets the check.

Pros- A business owner would have no reason to say he/she won't participate.

Cons - They may not participate actively... The business owner sets the flyers on the counter (actually, I set the flyers on the counter) and they tell their help to pass them out. And the help, doesn't bring it up to anyone. They have no personal incentive to. Customers would still see the flyers and take them if they are interested.

2. I could offer the "deal" to the employees. (ie. waitstaff, desk clerk, shop clerk..) this would give the actual person an incentive to talk about the show. This is more of what Dannydoyle suggested.

Pros- this would give the person in the shop some skin in the game. They have a real benifit to why they would talk about the show. $100 might not really seem like a lot to give to a business owner, but an extra $100 to the waiter could be a big incentive!

Cons - it might tick off the business owner and get my flyers kicked out completely.

3. a combo of both. Offer the owner $1 and have the worker initial the flyer and they get $1. Or something like that.

It will all come down to the RELATIONSHIPS!

Everyones thoughts are greatly appreciated! Keep them coming.

-sb
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Dearwiseone:

I will be talking to the county tourism people after the deal is done (this week) about incorporating my show into their bus tours. (maybe a dinner and a show deals with a local restaurant).

Does anyone have any experience with BUS TOURS?

-sb
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Here is what I think I am going to do regarding flyers and incentives.

We are going to put flyers in businesses. No incentive program. I will offer the businesses some comp tickets, and if I really want to make sure I get my stuff up there, I will offer them advertising as a trade in my program. (I will be doing this at hotels and restaurants to get my table tents up). I will be offering the advertising trade to any business that has something that I want. ie, advertising space on their tables or in their rooms, etc...

I will then talk with people - sales people, desk people, waitstaff, etc... - and create the deals with them individually.

This way I get the flyers into the businesses and get some motivated people out there helping me (to help them).

-again, thanks to everyone - please keep any ideas coming. I will be posting the shows web site and flyers here in a few days for any comments.

- sb
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You will have one issue. IF you are the new kid on the block, you have no track record. That is usually the toughest thing to get past.

Make sure also that your "incentive program" does not step on the toes of any particular business policy. Often busienss in tourist areas (I live right in the middle of one) have cooperative agreements with existing businesses and the employees are required to honor them.

Also make certain to keep track of 'incentives' because the worst word of mouth is to have someone thinking they did what you said, and not being compensated. The whole program will fall down the tubes VERY fast.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Dannydoyle:
good points. I am the new kid on the block in town. Fortunately the block is not very big. There is only one other live show (and they are actually in a nearby town). This does scare me though, because people are not used to going to see a live show when they are in town. A positive note though, I have done my research and families are looking for something to do while here(The theater I am has run small events (small community plays, Rocky Horror Show, etc...) and they have done very well - with some sold out performances). Hopefully I will fill that void.

I agree about the word of mouth, I will be certain to be very clear with the incentive program.

Thanks again!
-sb
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A note on price. Do a "family price" of some sort. Try to show that you are really for that market. Make it clear that a family can afford to see the show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
Google the town and see what comes up - try and contact those top websites to see if they will link to your performances is the topic is appropriate . . . or, find alternative sites and directories that will help you get your performance on the first page results . . .
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Hi,
Got in on this a little late, I guess. Ive got a similar situation in front of me and I would love to hear your follow up. What worked, what the numbers were, etc once you get opened.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I will be able to give you some feedback soon. We open tonight! And wrap up on Labor day... 101 shows later.

I'll keep ya posted, and will send you- UFO - a pm soon.

Scott
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Hey scott,

here are some other ideas

not sure how many hotels or motels there but what if you got your name and info for the show on the KEY CARD! that's a lot of people seeing your info.

another idea is you mentioned the Lake what if you did a publicity stunt there 2 or 3 times a week. maybe a hanging upside down straight jacket over the lake at noon each day!

one last quick thought is during the weekdays offer buy one get one tickets.

your goal shoudl be to fill the house regardless of the income. people will talk when they see a full house at your show. word will travel quickly. again let me repeat that your goal is to FILL THE HOUSE! people will feel awkward seeing a sh ow with 5 people in the audience even if it is a monday.

oh I also wanted to ask are you running any days dark, or is this 7 days a week show?

good luck

sam

I forgot to mention for you BOGO make up a mini flyer to and out that has a code on it and offer tickets to be purchased on line as well as at the door. presales are a great thing. if you need any help with this let me know
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Go man go and may the hobson's choice be with you!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Jon Dee
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jon Dee
Scott,

Tripadvisor.com has been the number one ticket seller for me since I set it up. It is FREE and it WORKS.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Re......see.html

go get em,

Jon Dee
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Scott, how is it going for you. Many of us are very interested in following your progress and success, and what you've learned. Please update us.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » My 2 wall deal - marketing help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL