The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Focus by Phil Goldstein (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Overture, the first one in the book- almost an undertstated effect, visual, simple and direct. Not a knock-your-socks-off card trick, but clever and also a good one for those new to card magic to work on 2 sleights.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yeah, 723, and ya know, they tried to talk him OUT of including that one! I'm glad he stuck with it. That was one of the first ones I learned in that book (ha haa, since it WAS the first trick, LOL!). Gonna repurchase that one again...some day.

Doug
Distracted-Artist
View Profile
New user
UK
95 Posts

Profile of Distracted-Artist
I got this out again recently to go over 'Picasso aces' after seeing a demo for David Regal's new odd backed ace assembly. What a fabulous trick it is too.'Overture' is also great! so simple but brilliant nonetheless.

For a while, I have been combining 'overture' with my favourite elements taken from Bill Goodwin's 'King Brand', Aaron Fisher's 'The King Is Gone, But He's Not Forgotten' (both from Penumbra) and John Carney's 'Sanverted' to create a little routine.

Gotta love 'Focus', an excellent book.
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Quote:
On 2010-08-09 21:58, Dougini wrote:
Yeah, 723, and ya know, they tried to talk him OUT of including that one! I'm glad he stuck with it. That was one of the first ones I learned in that book (ha haa, since it WAS the first trick, LOL!). Gonna repurchase that one again...some day.

Doug

Interesting! A fellow Café' member recommended Focus to me and I am very glad I followed his advice. Lots of routines and reading all these posts makes me contnually go back and seek another one out.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Max Maven (Phil) is a member of the Café. I wonder if he's read the complimentary things said about his book, here?

Doug
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Great Book indeed..... 'Masque', 'Ascension', and 'Overture' are my favorites.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
"Five Card Polka" ain't bad, either!

Neil Lester made a great set of cards for this for me.....great trick and rarely, if ever, seen!

*** Max Maven Sidenote .......(True Story).......

One night I was having dinner in Chicago with Eugene Burger and we drove out to see Max who was performing at a Club in the Hilton somewhere in the West Chicago suburbs for a group of laymen.

Max did a stand-up act for over an hour just with cards, and it was nothing short of amazing.

His skill as a performer is well-earned as being legenendary.....

Max is one of the best ever at totally controlling and manipulating your brain; and you can't help but love it while he's doing it, now can you?

No wonder his stuff is so special!
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2010-08-09 18:18, 723sabre wrote:
Overture, the first one in the book- almost an undertstated effect, visual, simple and direct. Not a knock-your-socks-off card trick, but clever and also a good one for those new to card magic to work on 2 sleights.

Everyone really likes Overture for some reason haha - it always gets very good reactions! Instead of the Through-The-Fist Flourish I use the Twirl Change.

I always do Overture with Twisting the Aces and Dr. Daley's Last Trick. I'll start this sequence with a version of Spectator Cuts to the Aces - usually Bannon's Final Verdict - or Alan Ackerman's A Quick Coincidence.
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2010-07-24 18:09, Rainboguy wrote:
Ddeckmann:

"Impressions" was Phil's....errr....Max's "hidden gem" for years.....it's a GREAT trick!

I've been really wanting to make this trick up! So many gaffs! My favorite tricks in the book are probably Overture and Shinkansen. Either I do Shinkansen or Strange Travelers.
Jim Klodzen
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Jim Klodzen
In my opinion one of the best books ever published. I purchased all the manuscripts as a kid over 40 years ago.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 19:12, Jim Klodzen wrote:
In my opinion one of the best books ever published. I purchased all the manuscripts as a kid over 40 years ago.

How? They were not around 40 years ago. Smile
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 21:57, dpe666 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 19:12, Jim Klodzen wrote:

How? They were not around 40 years ago. Smile
dpe666..."Focus" is a conglomeration of Goldstein's best effects which were published in previous manuscripts/periodicals dating back to the late '60s and throughout the '70s.

"Focus" is without a doubt one of my top 10 books on card magic. IMHO, it should definitely occupy a well deserved space in every serious cardician's library...

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
This is what I love about the Café if not for post like these I would miss out on some of the really good stuff hidden away in some magic store's bookshelf.
Thanks for the recommendation great book.

Best
Leo Jr
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-03-30 05:47, Vlad_77 wrote:
Focus is a great book. What always amazed me is that Max Maven formerly known as Phil Goldstein has put out such a huge body of work, and culling even sixty of his best card effects must have been quite a chore! I wonder if we will ever see a large compendium of his work? I think it would be one of the landmark tomes in the mystery arts.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

Agreed, Vlad – along with the fabled Cardzilla by Mr. Bannon!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
blu tiger
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of blu tiger
This book is one of my favorites. There are so many good tricks in it. I haven’t gone through the whole book yet, but my favorite effects so far are Jumping Bean Aces, Immediate Aces, Transfourmation, Masque, No Gaff Differential, & Twisted Location. A must have if you're a collector.
tony660
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of tony660
Sounds like Focus by Phil Goldstein is worth the $30.00 price.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2010-10-09 18:47, tony660 wrote:
Sounds like Focus by Phil Goldstein is worth the $30.00 price.

It is worth a lot more than that. Smile
tony660
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of tony660
I just ordered Focus, thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Focus by Phil Goldstein (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL