The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Letters From Friends by John Carey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
I just realised that I posted this review in the wrong forum, sorry Steve Smile. So I thought I'd re-post it here. Original thread in Latest and Greatest can be found here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=218&17

The ebook contains 18 well structured effects, which require intermediate card handling skills. For this reason, I would not recommend this manuscript to a beginner. The author assumes a certain level of knowledge, so doesn't explain several standard moves. For the most part, this didn't bother me. However, one or two of the more obscure references could have been explained for completeness.

Even so, the descriptions are clear and easy to follow (the write up for "The Pack of Mystery" was a little confusing though). John has a very informal writing style, which makes it easy for you to see how you could modify each routine to fit your own style. In fact, he encourages you to alter methods, which makes for a more interesting read.

There are no photos or diagrams to accompany the text and, although you get by without them, I think the odd diagram/photo here and there would have made the more complex routines easier to understand.

BREAKDOWN OF CONTENTS

• One Deck Do-As-I-Do – Simple clever and practical. Includes a great peeking technique.
  • Gun Slinger Ace Pro – Fun presentation, relatively easy to do. I like this a lot, and will be using it. Includes some excellent additional ideas by Stephen Hobbs, who suggests ways to alter the plot to make the routine more magical.
  • My Way – Interesting four Ace effect. One of the Aces rises face-up in a packet of four cards. Three indifferent cards transform into the other three Aces as a kicker. Would work well as a prelude to Twisting the Aces or Daley’s Last Trick.
  • One Deck…Again – Bold method but looks practical. Need to be able to perform Hofzinzereque cull control and under the spread force.
  • Two to Tango – Another good plot. A peeked card appears at a thought-of number. Lots of audience interaction.
  • Knowing As I Do – Very similar to “One Deck…Again”, but with a staggered double revelation.
  • Stacked Do As I Do – Another smart approach to the plot, using a memorised deck or cyclical stack.
  • Biddle in the Middle with Max – I love this one, very sneaky method making great use of a miscall. This one is very easy from a technical standpoint, but powerful none-the-less.
  • A Sandwich Transposition – A nicely structured sandwich effect utilising the “Nyquist Hide” move to great effect.
  • Gotcha – Two card location with deck to pocket finish.
  • Red ‘n’ Blacks Revisited – Colour separation effect using a display by Daryl.
  • In Full View – An interesting approach to the “Mystery Card” plot. Has a very clean reveal at the end.
  • Controlling the Aces – An application of Jack Merlin’s Tip Over Switch resulting in a cool four card control.
  • The Truth Will Tell – Different approach to the lie detector plot. Doesn’t use dealing procedure.
  • One for Sid and Henry – Unusual mental effect using 12 cards, with a triumph style ending. Really like the presentation angle of this one.
  • Simplex Mental Location – Uses Bill Simon’s Prophesy Move to achieve some neat mind magic.
  • A Divine Matching – Mind reading effect involving four participants with a transformation kicker.
  • The Pack of Mystery – Another progressive mental effect with a triumph style ending.

CONCLUSION

All-in-all this is a great purchase and I can't wait to try some of the routines out on unsuspecting members of the public!

Overall Rating: 8/10

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us John.

All the best,

Marty
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Thanks Marty.
Pleased you are having fun with the material.

Best

John
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Just got around to reading this (been busy beyond belief!). Some really nice and very practical material in here! Looking forward to reading the rest.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I absolutely love John's work! His effects are always intelligently constructed and a joy to perform.

Iain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Letters From Friends by John Carey (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL