The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in Massachusettes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Guys,
I am intending to start street work this summer. This is my first time. I have no idea about where you can or can not set up a show. I am looking to do a 12-15 minute show, lets say 15-30 spectators. My questions are:
1. Can I stop anywhere, just pick a street and start a show?
2. What about strip malls/malls
3. Do I need a license, or 'approval'?
4. What can the police do - can they 'move me on..'
5. If I hat people does that change things because I am collecting money.

I have Kozmo's DVDs plus other resources, so I am well equipped on the show side I am just nervous about the legality/permissability on the pitch side of the equation.

Any specific input would be appreciated. I will be starting in the Marlborough/Worcester area so a site tips would be FANTASTIC ;-)

Thx

Tony
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Thanks Jazzy, it seems from that site Boston does not require licenses and Cambridge does, shame it looks as though it is going to be a piece by piece approach.

Thanks for the starting point.

Tony
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
OK sorry to be a noob wimp, but with fairs and festivals do you need to isgn up, or do you just turn up, break open your show and let it rock?
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Each event has it's own politics and regulations. Best to call well in advance.

As for Boston, The Quincy Market area holds auditions, I think right about now. Cambridge can get filled with performers in the summer so it might be tough starting out. If you're looking for experience, perhaps volunteering at local events with no hat to start. I have heard of some action in Worcester near the colleges but have never seen it. Funny you mention Marlboro, the last busker there was in 1952.
-Charles Schulz
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Hey fyi2...

Hope all is well. I live in Marlboro... lived in Worcester for a while as well.

I busk in Worcester and in Boston during the spring summer and fall months.

Worcester is tough... you need an event if you wanna make money. stART on the street is an event you may be able to nab a spot at. They have two of them.

If you just want to get out there, and not amke much of anything... go to Green Hill Park or Elm Park and set up shop. Don't perform at the veitman memorial... you'll get booted by the police but any where else is free game.

Boston is good... but you need to be a real performer to get anywhere. The real deal guys that were picked based on auditions get Quincy Market.. A juggling act Alakazam is ussually there during the summer.

If you show up early enough you can get a teeny spot over by the breakdancers in front of quincy market.. There is a 15 by 15 box that the mayor is "allowing" perfoermers to do their thing.. I hit it up a couple time last year... but its BS... you cant build a good show in that space... and the breakdancers own the areas and pull your crowds away..

If your gonna hit boston your best bet is just go and find a spot with foot traffic. It is technically not legit to busk anywhere but that 15 by 15 spot or in quincy market.. But if you talk to the cops intelligently and respectfully like you know that what your doing is ok... they may let it slide.

Sorry I'm not tipping my spots... but if you are serious about going out and performing... hit up the T and look around you can find pleanty of them out there.

Best man, good luck

Shawn
Shawn.
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Thanks Shawn, you have given me some great places to start. No problems with you not tipping your spots, after all you found them and earned them through trial and error.

Seriously great advice. Interesting that you live in Marlborough maybe we can grab a Starbucks some time.

Tony
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Let's all set up at the old fire house and freak out the locals.
-Charles Schulz
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Now that sound's like fun.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in Massachusettes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL