The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Multiple guitar production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I see an ad here for a 4 guitar production for stage. I checked out the ad. from what I can tell, it is likely a great visual effect. However, when you produce a musical instrument, there will be an expectation that it can produce sound. It is apparently not the case with this set. Does anyone else see a problem with this as a let down?

If I were watching a show and the magician produced four full sized dreadnaught guitars, but did not strum a bar or two on the last one, I would immediately think "not real guitars." I really think this takes away from the illusion.

Does anyone do a production of a musical instrument that is not shown to be real? Is my theory completely off?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Even if the prop itself doesn't produce sound, there are ways of making instruments seem like they have sound. Just make sure you have a really astute sound board operator. Smile You could also have something on your person to produce the sound.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I suppose I could see that as an option, but it doesn't take a trained guitarist to see someone on stage pretend to strum and realize the sound is not syncing up. It would be very difficult for that to come off right. I would think it would draw more attention to the fact that it is not organically producing music.
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
I really don't see why someone would want to produce 4 guitars if they WEREN'T going to play them. At least that's what I immediately thought when I saw this on Penguin. WHY????
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
This is my thinking Voldemort. I am as impressed by multiple productions as the next guy, but there has to be a context. You make that many guitars appear, I am expecting Skynyrd to come out and wail on some Freebird.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
So I'm guessing you guys never heard of Guitar Hero. On a more serious note production has been done without playing. See Topaz. It works for the average Joe. I won't complain if playaz call it out. I did, but audiences enjoy the production, not caring if it was a real guitar or not. They get it. You are a magician. NOW, if you can produce playable geetars, you just might be a better magician. And lord knows if you can play your act might establish more cred.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are a skilled guitar player, you can sync up to a recording. It doesn't need to be anything really complex. Just a few chords will do it. Hermann Prey, the German tenor, used to fake playing the lute or the guitar very convincingly when he was singing.

Still, I question the value of producing four guitars. Topas produces a whole bunch of speakers in his illusion show. The first one is playing when he produces it. When he produce the second, it starts playing. Both are playing the same thing, though. Each time he produices a speaker, the volume increases. It is vey effective and convincing. The speaker boxes actually resemble speakers that people would use.

The guitars in this production are rather cheesy looking.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Quote:
On 2010-04-30 21:43, revlovejoy wrote:
This is my thinking Voldemort. I am as impressed by multiple productions as the next guy, but there has to be a context. You make that many guitars appear, I am expecting Skynyrd to come out and wail on some Freebird.

Yeah, I was impressed by the effect on a technical level. But, I just don't see producing four guitars and just setting them off to the side. Like Bill said, I'm sure you could fake something if you were dead set on doing the illusion. But still, I just don't think it makes much sense. Speakers on the other hand, Would seem functional in the context outlined above and make more sense. Of course this is just all IMHO.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
of the JV Naughty Vanish....
884 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
I know this may be odd, but if you can find a cheap similar real guitar, produce the four first. Then carry them in a bundle(as in all four while fumbling around) over to the side of the stage and switch one out and play it. Hmmmmmm......... Might work?
I don't care how fast or slow you are.... As long as I am faster.. -J-
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2010-04-30 21:31, Voldemort wrote:
I really don't see why someone would want to produce 4 guitars if they WEREN'T going to play them. At least that's what I immediately thought when I saw this on Penguin. WHY????

You saw these on Penguin? Do you have a link (can't find them there).

The production looks great on the video. Completely unmotivated, but it looks great. Wonder how it looks in real life...?
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
GOSH... I'm sorry. I don't know why the heck I put Penguin in that post. Slip of the brain I guess.

This is where I first saw it:

http://www.52magic.com/product_1007.html

The video demo is there as well.

That brings up another question I had about this. The price point. Kind of on the expensive side... At least for me!!

Penguin..... Man I don't know what I was thinking....
"Flight from death"
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
I saw them in person and they look terrible (you can see that they are fake) also this company is known for ripping off illusions & magic effects! like Losanders tables, gemini cage, mini cube zag,...
Stay away from them is my advice.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-05-03 09:29, tristanmagic wrote:
I saw them in person and they look terrible (you can see that they are fake)

Useful info. Thanks.
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
I've purchased from the above shop and had horrible experience....
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Was about to buy one of Masuda's items from this website last year. As I have a very limited Mandarin skill, I asked the guy in English. I was trying to make sure if the item is original and genuine from Masuda. (I'm myself a Chinese, so I'm aware of this kind of business). He said that it's original.

Then I asked one of my friends who happens to live in Guangzhou, China. He speaks perfect Mandarin. I asked him to call this shop and ask the same question. Shortly after, my friend said: "No, everything is copied from the original. Massive production and made in China."

That was the last time I visited the website Smile Hope this helps.

BUT, if you want to satisfy your curiosity, you can get The Lean for a cheaper price (I guess), since I'm not into that kind of tricks.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Quote:
Shortly after, my friend said: "No, everything is copied from the original. Massive production and made in China.

But is this particular effect a copy of anything that was already out there?
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Yes, and I'm sure a lot of tricks are copied, with or without consent from the original creator. Heck, I'm pretty sure they won't be bothered to get consent for producing tricks made by other people.

If you look at the website, they sell items (maybe copied) and use the original creator's name or brochure.

Even most of the tricks cannot be patented, I'm sure there are a lot of copyright infringements here Smile
Magic comes through perception. -HS
magickleark
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magickleark
I have one set its from kapmagic http://www.kapmagic.com its realy good effect
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Multiple guitar production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL