The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » MIDSLEIGHT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
161 Posts

Profile of tltq
MIDSLEIGHT written by Kyle MacNeill

price - $5 available at lybrary.com

TRICKS

SQUASHED SANDWICH - A card is selected and shuffled back into the deck. The jokers manage to sandwich two cards. The sum of the two cards equal the value of the selection. The jokers and the two cards are placed on top of the deck. All of a sudden, one card is seen between the jokers. It is the selection.

The crucial part of the effect is making it look like you are inserting two cards between two other cards. The author may have preformed this trick many times with no problems. It does not seem convincing to me.

VARIATION - Three cards are picked and placed in different places in the pack.. The cardician takes 4 face-up Kings and slams them onto the deck. In the act of doing so, they visually change into the three selections. The original protruding selections change into 4 cards. The spectator expects the cards to be the Kings and that they've transposed. However, the 4 cards are turned over, and are revealed to be the 4 aces!

The selections changing into Aces is workable. The other changes don't look deceptive. I think the author has too much confidence in the change (technique) that is used.

I do not know what this is a variation of.

MENTAL SOUP - Spectator no. 1 one selects a card. The card worker announces the selection. Spectator no. 2 is asked to remember one card as the card worker riffles through the deck with the faces toward them. Spectator no. 2 is not aware of the first spectator's card. Spectator no. 2 remembers the same card that the first spectator chose.

OK effect if it works

ACE TO ACE - four ace production

The problem with this effect is the production of the second ace. I believe most spectators would correctly guess what happen.

THE COLLECTOR'S SPELL - Three cards are selected and shuffled into the deck. The card expert puts 4 aces face up into the deck at different parts, and pushes them in. They are found together with 3 cards in between them. They are the selections. This happens again. The second time the sandwiched cards are not the selections. The amount of cards that correspond to each number on the card are dealt. Each packet of cards is turned over. The face cards are the three selections.

Two cards being held as one are inserted into the deck three times. The cards are left sticking out about halfway. It's easy for the doubles to spread while handling the deck. If they spread , the trick is spoiled. If they don't spread , you have a good effect. The countdown reveal is unusual, but I suppose it is workable.

SLEIGHTS

BUTTER PASS - No comment. I'm a non-passer

REVERSE BLUFF CONTROL - OK

AIR-BORNE CONTROL - A card is picked and placed face–down on top of the deck. With a flourish, the card wiz shoots the card into the air, catching it in his other hand. The card is inserted into the middle of the deck, yet it is at the card wiz's disposal on top of the deck.

This may work, but it did not work for me.

REVERSE BLUFF CONTROL 2 - OK

SANDWICH CHANGE - A sandwiched card transforms into another card.

Seems like something good for video Other switches for a sandwiched card would probably be preferred over this change

ATOM CHANGE - A card changes into another after it is raised and lowered back to the deck.

I think this is good to use on a limited basis. Shapeshifter and the Twirl Change could be used instead.
I think this change better suited for flourishing

There's not a lot to get excited about. There are a few interesting ideas to loook into.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks for your feedback!
I do have confidence with The Atom Change, but instead you could use a twirl change for Variation.
Please note, Variation is not a variation of anything, it is just the name given, because cards change.
Every time I have done Squashed Sandwich the two cards that go underneath go unnoticed.
I'm sorry you felt dissapointed with some of the tricks, but I am very young and will get better with every piece of advice.

Thanks,

Kyle MacNeill
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
I've just had a chance to look over this.

We MUST remember that Kyle is young. Just 13 years old.

Sure, there needs to be better attention to credits and over-all structure to the effects, but I think Kyle has done a great job in instilling his ENTHUSIASM for our art.

At the low, low price it's worth checking out, even just as a vote of support for this enthusiastic young man.

Keep it up Kyle. It is going to wonderful to watch you grow and develop.

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 17:47, Ben Harris wrote:
I've just had a chance to look over this.
We MUST remember that Kyle is young. Just 13 years old.

Sure, there needs to be better attention to credits and over-all structure to the effects, but I think Kyle has done a great job in instilling his ENTHUSIASM for our art.
At the low, low price it's worth checking out, even just as a vote of support for this enthusiastic young man.
Keep it up Kyle. It is going to wonderful to watch you grow and develop.

Benny

I think that Mr Harris makes a very positive comment here. I picked this up a while ago, and made a brief reference to it on a different thread. The product is undeniably better than some material that apparent 'pros' have released, and indeed shows enthusiasm.

The lack of crediting / proof reading was a niggle to me, and the butter pass (the reason I picked this up) was not, imho, new - rather a move performed in two stages.

I guess I am torn between overwhelming admiration for obvious young talent and enthusiasm; and a feeling that this should not be sold before a bit more work goes into it. I have some concern that there is an increasing flow of unresearched / uncredited, and untested material flooding the e-market, all for a quick profit.

Kyle, I am not accusing you of lacking ethics etc. Midsleight was better than some stuff I have picked up before. I do not come close to having Mr Harris's experience, reputation and knowledge, but I would humbly suggest that you do a bit more homework and field testing before selling your material. It would be a shame if you do not build yourself a great reputuation in the future by selling yourself short now.

With respect

Charlie
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Dear Charlie and Ben,

Thanks very much for your GREAT advice!
I will definitely take this on board!
Next book coming soon, hopefully better tricks, and credited more.
Thank you very much and best regards,

Kyle MacNeill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » MIDSLEIGHT (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL