The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Dye Tube: Vernet Question (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Profile of William Wortman
I'm looking into getting a dye tube. I was watching Fielding West video, I thought it would be a nice little trick I can use as a backup or something.

My question is what is a good size silk for the Vernet Dye Tube http://www.tannens.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3881also, also is a regular silk good or should I use a diamond cut silk?

William
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
Hi William

You have several sizes of dye tube according to the silk size: 12", 18" or 24".
Most of the dye tube will work with 18" silks.
When ever you buy the tye tube it say the size of the silk you can use with.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I use the Vernet tube and use the 18 inch diamond cut silks from Bob Sanders...it works great!
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
magicofms
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh Pa
57 Posts

Profile of magicofms
If you want to work with larger silks look into the palmo. Duane Laflin makes a great one..I use mine in every show. I use 18" silks..
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2010-05-14 04:34, William Wortman wrote:
I'm looking into getting a dye tube. I was watching Fielding West video, I thought it would be a nice little trick I can use as a backup or something.

My question is what is a good size silk for the Vernet Dye Tube

I own the Vernet Dye Tube. The design of the Vernet makes it very easy to do finger-clip steals. It will take a very thin momme 18" inch silk, but the instructions recommend using '14" inch silks ' (which is an odd size . Usually they come in 9" , 12" , 15", 18", and 24" size.) I can use it with thin 18" and this video shows it with what appears to be 18" silk ( or maybe it's 15" ?) ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkgvupLxR2I

I also use a Palmo Ball . The capacity of the Palmo is greater than the Vernet Dye Tube. A regular 18" silk is no problem for the Palmo. (and like it's name implies , it is very ergonomically designed for easy palming.)

If I had to choose one or the other I'd go with the Palmo.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2010-05-14 17:38, Jef Eaton wrote:
I use the Vernet tube and use the 18 inch diamond cut silks from Bob Sanders...it works great!

The 18" diamond cut looks like a 24" square silk but will work in a dye tube made for 12" square silks. Remember that silk sizes are determined by measuring the hemmed edge.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Currently I have some real silk 15" and 21" square silks to fit antique magic props. There are eleven colors and they are $3 and $5 each until they are gone. They do look much better than using the 12" and 18" silks as substitutes just because they will work in vintage props.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
I've used the Johnson dye tube for years. (no longer made) Have never found another to compete with it. I've traded , bought and scrounged to find them. I have 2 left in pretty good condition. In a routine I do, I change 3 2" regular sponge balls into 3 12" silks. Works like a hot ***. At 71 maybe they'll take me to the finish line.

Nala
shadpoke
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of shadpoke
Hi Shadpoke here. I think this guy uses a dye tube but how would he just blow out one. I have tried emailing him but I haven't got a response. Can someone help? Here is a you tube link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIlvXaxDh8I&feature=related

Thank you.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-01-16 18:57, shadpoke wrote:
Hi Shadpoke here. I think this guy uses a dye tube but how would he just blow out one. I have tried emailing him but I haven't got a response. Can someone help? Here is a you tube link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIlvXaxDh8I&feature=related

Thank you.

THis is not a commercial effect on the market, it is this perfomers version of the Harrison Silk Blow. The gimmicks are not available on the market any longer. Yes, it uses 4 very small plunger type dye tube.

Sorry, but the Harrison Silk Blow has not been on the market for at least 50 years.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Without giving away Tricky Ricky's method, this is something that can be done using ANY color changing silk gimmick, including a home made one as described in my Dollar Store Book 2 e-Book on "Color Changing Silk Gimmicks." As I point out in those e-Books, when you change the color of just one silk at a time, it is a color-change silk gimmick. The term dye tube is reserved for the gimmick used when you change the colors of several silks at a time.

As you can see from the effect used in the video, this is just a change of color of one silk at a time with each sheet of paper. The tube of paper simply replaces the closed fist used in most color changing silk routines, and actually makes it easier to conceal the gimmick(s) than when working with just the hands for concealment.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The gimmicks are available though you do not need a real dye tube. Duane Laflin sells the routine and gimmicks. I think Trixie Bond was selling a version a few years ago.

The actual Harrison blow I think was last made by Magic Inc. Magic Inc. sold a book "Lots of Lawton" which had Don Lawton great routine for this. There was also some other pretty good routines also.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I am sorry to disagree with you Richard, but the mini plunger dye tubes are not available. I have checked many resources, and they are none to be found.

Also to do the trick as in the referenced YouTube video, you do need this exact gimmick, otherwise the handling would not be as clean as he was doing.

Yes, Magic Inc. made or sold the trick, that was 50 years ago. Time flies!

Hank Lee had it listed a 5 years ago, until the Café members started talking about it, then it was taken off his site.

Can't get Trixie Bond's products page to load. (?) http://www.trixiesmagic.com/
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Wow.....

Im lucky I have two sets of Harrison's silk blow~!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I did get a set of plunger tubes from Duane not more than 4 years ago. But as I said, you do not need the plunger tubes. You can use a straight tube with a little modification. Tim Balster uses one and he worked Abbott's last year.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I must be getting senile. I took the lightest weight color changing silk gimmick in my collection (made of aluminum) which uses tape, not a plunger, and had no trouble recreating all the moves from beginning to end, clean as a nun's wimple. I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps you should try this before deciding it can't be done, wmhegbli.

As for the original poster, William Wortman, you should also give it a try with a one-silk-size color changing silk gimmick (tape or plunger, it matters not), which some on this forum unfortunately call a "dye tube" thereby confusing the gimmicks, and if you can figure out how it works, you'll need one gimmick for each color you plan to transform (unless you come up with a different routine and reuse some of the colors as in the feather plumes color transformations).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Spellbinder, we are discussing Shadpoke's post, it maybe should have been in another topic by itself, but this is how things go in these forums.

Thinking about your idea spellbinder, I can see how a tape may work, but I am a tradtionalist, what can I say, if it was done with a special plunger tube, that is what I would stick with.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That proves I am getting senile. I meant my response to Shadpoke and not William Wortman. It is a waste of time being a traditionalist in a world that is constantly changing. One gets covered in so much dust of one's own making.
Professor Spellbinder

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Dye Tube: Vernet Question (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL