The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic fights back (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
I was doing a show today for an older kids crowd, 10-13. One kid was really trying his best to ruin the birthday party by yelling out varied inappropriate statements about how "magic was stupid" and booing when everyone else was applauding, that kind of thing. At one point he yelled out, "I don't believe in magic!" at the top of his lungs.
I had had enough and responded calmly, "That's okay. Magic doesn't believe in you, either." Big laugh and applause from both the kids and adults. It may sound harsh but he stopped his sabotage of the show and everyone else had a great time.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Very good, great thinking and a very good line. As entertainers it's moments like this that can change the path of the show and in some cases get it back on track establishing who is in control.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Good answer!
Dennis Michael
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
The older I get the more unbelievable I find it that so many folks don't believe in magic! Bearing in mind that the whole impossible, paradoxical Universe is totally inexplicable, it amuses me immensely that "science" is regarded as "fact", and "magic" is seen as mumbo-jumbo.
For kids of this age, I like to explain that switching a light on is absolutely magic - press a switch, and a light comes on across the room! No scientist in the World actually knows HOW this happens, though they have methods to "explain" it. We've merely discovered the magic of electricity - and there are many other types of magic which have yet to be fully discovered.
;)
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
What I find interesting is how many magicians don't believe in magic.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
493 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Magic believes in everybody.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
That was nice line! It diffused the situation, and made you look like a PRO!

What amazes me, is that when a situation like this happens, the PARENTS just usually sit there and do nothing about it...almost like they feel it's not their responsibility to intervene since it's YOUR SHOW.

I know that if I were hosting a party for my child and if I hired a Magician to entertain, and some loud mouth little brat began heckling, I'd remove that child from the show.

...but then I was raised a lot differently than the youth of today!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
It's better that a magician put the kid in line, than for another kid to bust a cap in his ***, a few years down the road. People make too many excuses for kids - ADHD, depression, had a rough upbringing, etc. All these are just excuses and nothing more. If they don't straighten up, their life expectancy goes down. It can be a tough life if they don't get with the program.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I never attended a magic show when I was a kid, but I often wonder if I would have been a rotten audience member back when I was 10 years old.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
I personally think the kids have gotten worse due to the poor raising by negligent, self involved and narcissistic parents. Doing kids magic for as long as I have, I've noticed a steady decline in discipline and manners. A party I did today, the parents
were as confrontational as the kids.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2010-05-16 02:43, BIGmagiclV wrote:
I was doing a show today for an older kids crowd, 10-13. One kid was really trying his best to ruin the birthday party by yelling out varied inappropriate statements about how "magic was stupid" and booing when everyone else was applauding, that kind of thing. At one point he yelled out, "I don't believe in magic!" at the top of his lungs.
I had had enough and responded calmly, "That's okay. Magic doesn't believe in you, either." Big laugh and applause from both the kids and adults. It may sound harsh but he stopped his sabotage of the show and everyone else had a great time.

well done!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2010-05-16 21:05, BIGmagiclV wrote:
A party I did today, the parents were as confrontational as the kids.

Indeed!

I've been out here in Houston for the last several days performing, and at one point today, I had a kids father interupt what I was doing to explain to the kids how he thought the effect was accomplished.

Geeze Dad...STFU why don't ya! Thanks for trying to ruin the wonder and enchantment for your kid...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I heard a report on the news that said that IQ scores are rising. It's obvious to me that the testing standards are DECLINING! The gene pool needs some chlorine, NOW!

There are times when I really have to wonder why I'm being paid what I am, when the parents think that it's necessary to tell me how to do my job. They sometimes like to think they're more experienced at entertaining kids, than any magician. If they want an ego stroke, why don't they just hire a hooker? They're apparently not getting it at home. Sheesh!

Most audiences are pretty good, but do I really have to tell adults what polite behavior is? They show up while the show is going on, disrupting it. They talk on their cell phones during the show. They talk loudly in the back of the room. Much of the time, I have to wonder why I'm there, when they go to such lengths to sabotage the show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic fights back (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL