The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Another Mouth Coil Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jmdibrita
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jmdibrita
Hi Everyone,

The below link shows a mouth coil routine with an assistant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cwiU5Qf_68&feature=related

This is one of the first tricks I learned 20 years, and it always got a great reaction. I know the mouth coil debate (used from the mouth) has been discussed in great detail over the years on this board.

Does anyone still use mouth coils like this? Or are the feelings that they shouldn't be used from the mouth at all.

Thanks,

John
bradymc
View Profile
Regular user
Allen, TX
111 Posts

Profile of bradymc
I always loved Tom Burgoon's routine using Toilet Paper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0J9nHHaOjs
You'll see a few highlights at the beginning, but his routine starts at 3:30.
Brady McCain
Website Designer / Magician
www.GoMylo.com
www.GoMyloDomains.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use them all the time. Kids shows, adults shows. I was disappointed when I found out that Tom's routine was off limits but I ended up with something that suits me much better. Now I'm very glad I abided by his request not to do it. Much better for me in the long run.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Robert Baxt just released his mouth coil routine DVD which the above you tube video is loosely based on. So yes, people are still using mouth coils like this. And for good reason.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I have no problem with the mouth coil from the mouth and it does get a great reaction. And because of that I use it almost every show.

However, I’m not a big fan of the insistence of the performer to have the volunteer touch the mouth coil after it has been in his mouth. Jeff McBride solved that problem by giving the volunteer a pole so that Jeff could wrap the coil around the pole.

Not a major thing but it would make me uncomfortable. So, I wonder if it would make some audience members uncomfortable as well, not to mention the volunteer.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Since about 03, I have also been using bubble coils and dollar coils..(money talks..with a bit of help from a vent.)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
jmdibrita
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jmdibrita
Ken, I agree. I would never have the volunteer use their hands to hold the coils.

Frank, Is the do as I do routine Tom Burgoon's, or is the whole toilet paper thing.

Thanks,

John
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I was watching the video and wondering how many parents were cringing when John draped the coil around the girls neck. Maybe its just me, but I don't feel comfortable with that either.

I believe the "do as I do" idea is pretty common and almost a natural thing to do. Although I use something like this, I do it in the hands. It gets a very good reaction and the 'yuk' factor is gone. But that's me.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
jmdibrita
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jmdibrita
Scott O., That performance on youtube was not of me performing, I posted it as an explanation. I do not know who the magician was in the video and do not want to knock him or anyone on their choice in how to perform a trick. I am a believer that there are things that work for some that don't work for others.

Personally I would not have the volunteer touch the coil with their hands, I would have them use a wand or the like. Or personally pull them out of my mouth.

John
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Sorry, John. I misread you initial post. And I'm not knocking him. It seemed to work in that performance. But I still think some people would be uneasy with this nowadays.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 08:55, jmdibrita wrote:
Frank, Is the do as I do routine Tom Burgoon's, or is the whole toilet paper thing.

I was basically speaking of Tom's use of "Timmy", the face, the lines, etc.
Those are his. He published the routine only so everyone knew which magicians were ripping him off.

The do-as-i-do theme has been around forever. Mine's a do-as-i-do routine as well but the lines, bits, gags are all completely different. I also use a sound guy when one is available for certain cues.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Another Mouth Coil Thread (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL