The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Just starting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Hey guys,
I'm just starting to get into mentalism now. I've been doing magic for close to 10 years now and am mainly a close up performer. I also do a family show. Recently I've been getting more calls for adult stand up. I have good material, but thought that mentalism can be SO impressive if done correctly. I'm going to start with 13 Steps soon.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Also,
I have Max Maven's Prism. Any suggestions for impressive tricks that I should focus on in there?
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
Get a copy of EB Switchcraft. You need nothing but paper and yourself.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Read Corinda, PMM , Switchcraft and other books and ebooks from authors from the Café

The most impressive experiments in mentalism are..... (secrets).... ;D

Just find your character and find what your audience say

All the success for you!
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Twistedace,

I disagree with those who suggest that you start with Annemann and/or Corinda.

Here, for the umpteenth time, is the advice I always give to those who plan to start in mentalism or who, as I did 20+ years ago, transition/graduate from magic to mentalism and that I wish someone had given to me when I was at the same point in my development. The great thing is that both my advice and the source material that I recommend are free (or nearly so).

Before you invest in any other books, DVDs, CDs or effects, read Bob Cassidy's "The Thirty-Nine Steps: A Mentalist's Library of Essential Works." It is an extract from his larger Fundamentals of Professional Mentalism." Both are available as instantly downloadable e-manuscripts from http://www.Lybrary.com -- "The Thirty-Nine Steps" is free. After you read it, you would be wise to get and study "Fundamentals" as well. While it is not free, at only $29 it is one of best bargains in mentalism and IMO there is no better preparation for further study of the genre.

For someone who is really a "beginner" in the truest sense of the word, I would recommend 2 books. Like Bob, "The Amateur Magician's Handbook" by Henry Hay is at the top of my list. The second, although not on Bob's list, is "The Handbook of Mental Magic" by Marvin Kaye.

Hay's book is step 1. It provides the broad based practical foundation in the psychology and techniques of magic that is essential for anyone before they even consider tackling mentalism.

Kaye's is step 2 and covers many of the essential basics of mental magic -- the precursor to mentalism -- from the layman's perspective, presupposes zero prior knowledge or experience, and introduces the beginner to the important fundamentals in a more contemporary context.

IMO those who will be quick to bypass those and direct you first to the works of Annemann, Larsen, Nelson, Newman, Corinda, etc. -- all of which BTW are more than worthy of study and, in fact, are among the sources recommended by Cassidy -- are putting the cart before the horse because most beginners lack the foundation needed to really "get into" those pioneers of mentalism whose writing and presentations will seem dated to anyone lacking the knowledge base to recognize and fully appreciate the timelessness of the principles underlying their work.

Once you have laid a proper foundation, you are ready to graduate to the works of the contemporary luminaries of mentalism like Maven, Waters, Cassidy, Becker, Banachek, Osterlind, Bernstein, Brook, Nyman, Looch, Quinn and others.

I am a firm believer in the idea that one should first learn to crawl, then to walk and that only after lots of experience running is one ready to tackle a marathon. I know that seems like a long, slow and arduous process. It is, but if you really want to learn, you should read the books.

If all you want is a quick fix and superficial knowledge and are content to never be more than a transparent imitation of the real thing, watch the videos and DVDs and copy what you see. But IMO you'd be better advised to find another hobby — I’ve heard that stamp collecting is fun.

Just my $0.02
Dick Christian
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Dick's advice is golden (always) ... or you can just get my chair test perfect it and make it a 30 minute routine! It has a built in standing ovation too. Smile

j
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Just starting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL