The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Routine help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paulierc
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of paulierc
First off I'm sure, this has been covered till the end of times; and I did try to use the search feature. But alas after trying several different search terms I could find anything that I was looking for.
I have performed "tricks" for people for a while now, and I'm decent at it. Im entertaining, and good. Now, I would like to take it from performing "tricks" to performing magic. I need help with creating routines. How do I go about creating routines; and also something that has me confused is the difference between routines and a show; is it that a routine is one or two effects combined, and a show is several routines combined?
Any help would be appreciated, old posts, books, or just good old advice.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Check out Card College Light and the Card College Series by Roberto Giobbi. In the Light book, he has organized the card tricks into sets of 3 that flow nicely for a routine. He also explains the rationale for how/why they flow from one to the other -- information that can be transferred to other types of magic.

The Light books (there are three of them now) are great for "instant gratification" -- not much skill required to learn and perform a really nice routine. In the Card College Series, Vol's 1 and 2 cover much of what you would ever need for card magic -- at least early in the field. You may want to complement Vol's 1 &2 with his DVDs of the same title.

Hudson
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
You didn’t say what type of magic you were doing, but some of the same ideas can apply across the board. And, yes, it does get talked about a lot here, but it helps if you know where to look. Smile

This will give you something to think about:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

And this will give you some practical guidance:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Hi Paul, I'm a newbie myself. I,m pretty much in the same situation you are, and you're probably even better than me because I've been collecting magic for years but not even performing most of it. Now I'm motivated to perform and that aspect has taken on a life of its own. I find myself driven to put together a show for kids and a show for seniors. Ive taken about a dozen of my favorite "tricks" and worked out my own stories for them, drawing on real experiences. Then I just let the words flow to the word processor....just free associate and write. You'll be amazed at what you come up with. It's never right the first draft, but at least you have a script. For instance, I just came up with a routine last night after fooling around with jumping rubber bands. I also just purchased one of those spring wands that bends like rubber when waving it around. Then I remembered when I was a kid there was a great optical illusion we did with a simple wood pencil....holding it in your fingers and wobbling it just right made it look like rubber......So, I do the jumping rubber bands, segue into the optical illusion with the pencil (I hand out a pencil to each kid to try it with me, a cheap giveaway), then I finish with the rubber wand and show how I create the same illusion with a magic wand.....a la David Ginn style....Just let it flow.....Hope this helps little. I'm still trying to find myself in all this and figure I'll get some free charitable performances in till I get comfortable. If that comes, so be it, but if it doesn't, I'm still having fun. Good luck. Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You are correct in thinking that a routine is one or two effects combined, and a show is several routines combined.

As for creating routines, while Bob1Dog's word processing method works for someone who can type as he thinks, I find I need a couple of steps before I start writing. I begin by dreaming. I close my eyes and imagine what it is that I want the audience to see. Then I may try it out with "air magic," a magician's version of the "air guitar." After I have imagined the routine from several "angles," I then give it a try for real, with all props and equipment... sort of a dress rehearsal. At that point, I begin writing, and I feel free to make changes as I write since I invariable come up with new twists and turns I didn't think about before.

Finally, you said you would like to move from performing "tricks" to performing magic. Magic takes place in the minds of those who are watching your tricks. You have to believe you are doing magic in order to act the part and make people see what you are doing is magic. That is where practice, practice, practice comes in.

Good luck in transforming yourself into a magician!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Excellent ideas list above. DWRackley's links are great resources. Beyond what has been posted thus far, I would add that magic is theatre and studying play construction would be of great help. I would also recommend watching as many professional magicians as you can, focusing on how their shows are routined or constructed.

From my point of view, there are a couple of things to remember when assembling a routine or show:

1. Start strong. Use an effect that happens quickly and is flashy enough to establish yourself as an accomplished magician. Don't make the audience wade through a 14 step process to see your first card revelation.

2. End stronger. You can take longer to develop your final effect because by the time you are ready to present it, you should have your audience "in your pocket". Leave them amazed, with something to talk about and wanting more.

3. Fill in the middle. Depending on the length of the show or set, start slow and build to one or more high points during this time. Even if you are able to "keep them on the edge of their seats", don't. The audience needs time to relax and take it all in. An exhausted audience no longer cares about what you are presenting. Remember this is all about entertaining them.

Think of your routine or show like an action movie. There is an opening that gets you involved. A building of tension through several action scenes with some "down time" to recover and a final climax that is exciting and wraps up the story.

A common thread or theme throughout the routine or show is generally a good idea. That thread can be the props you use, or a story that weaves everything together.
An example of the prop thread might be to do a coin production, followed by a few coin tricks. The coin is changed into a ring. Do a ring trick or two. Add a shoelace and do ring on string type effects. Go to show a rope trick using shoelace, realize it is too small to be seen, put it away and do rope magic. The possibilities are endless.

I too wish you good luck in your journey. I hope this was of some help.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
paulierc
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of paulierc
I appreciate the help and the links, Ineven found another great link from one of them. Watching my training movies I have noticed two ways of presentation; one is telling what is happening "I have these three cards here, and watch what they can do";or I see a story "I have Larry, Curley, and Moe. They always seem to be in trouble."
Is there one way that is better then other, from general observations, what seems to work better for you?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 16:18, paulierc wrote:
I have noticed two ways of presentation; one is telling what is happening "I have these three cards here, and watch what they can do";or I see a story "I have Larry, Curley, and Moe. They always seem to be in trouble."
Is there one way that is better then other, from general observations, what seems to work better for you?

It depends on what fits your personality.

I wouldn't use a line like,"I have Larry, Curley, and Moe."
Don't like the "I have.." part of this line where props are given names.

Perhaps my patter includes what is happening the most.
I also like to sometimes include a tale, true or false, into my patter.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
The presentation depends on who you are and how you want to present your magic. If you see yourself as a David Blaine type of character the "story" presentation seems rather silly and out of place. However, if you are a David Copperfield type, the story is central to the effect.

If you are unsure which direction to go, develop a trick or routine using both methods of presentation. Show each to several audiences and judge for yourself by their reactions.

You might also ask friends and family to write a description of you to get their reaction on what kind of person you are. I always wanted to be a tall, thin, classic, serious magician, but in reality I am now an old, balding, fat, funny guy. Use what you've got!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Routining is s subject close and dear to my heart, here is my take on the subject:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

That being said here is some tips on scripting since Bob1dog did mention it.

Write your first draft freestyle, putting what thoughts, ideas and gags etc on paper or a word document and note the type of actions and dialog. Do this without any constraints, it's just important at this stage to get your ideas on written format.

Once you have done this it's now time you edit your script. The goal of editing your script is not to cut your information but in stead clarify it so your message and the delivery of your message is clear.

To do this I edit my script by passing every word and action through the following list for which at least one of these things has to apply:

1) Establish Context

What is it that your doing and why? A story that illustrates this is the three brick layers story, three brick layers are working and someone goes up to them and says "Whats going on?", the first brick layer says "Laying Brick", the second says "Earning $10 an hour", and the the thrid says "Bulding the worlds best Cathedral". Same actions, different interpretations, so it's important that you establish a premise for the trick it self and your actions and dialog along the way. That is what you need to have when assessing if something in your script falls under the "Establish Context" category.

As I'm pressed for time I won't elaborate on the next ones but if you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

2)Develop Character

3)Moves the plot forward.

4)Instruct the spectator.

5)Clarify and emphasize conditions

6)Build and release tension.

7)Rapt Attention

8)Laughter

9)Astonishment

At least one thing from this list must by present in anything you say in your script, and if it's not, then it's filler and needs to be cut.

Magically

Aus
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Great stuff there Aus, I appreciate that info as well.......best, bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
paulierc
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of paulierc
I'm sorry to be a pest, but another thing has crossed my mind. It seems to me that a general rule of thumb is that a routine is made of 2-3 smaller effects; if so how can a single effect (i.e. "Coloring book", "cups and balls") be considered a routine? Is it because of the many small parts? If that is the case then what about a stage show, each time they do something is it an actual routine or just an effect/illusion?
I'm sorry if these are trivial annoying questions, I'm just trying to get a full picture here.
Aus- thank you for the post and link; they have been very helpful.
Everyone else- I also appreciate you taking just a minute or two to answer my questions and help me out.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Don't worry about being a pest.

As an example, a "routine" may be an 'Ambitious Card Routine'(ACR) or 'Gadabout Coins'.
If you do a ACR and continue into a card sandwich trick with the same card then it becomes a single routine in my eyes. If you break off from the ACR and use a different card for a sandwich effect or something else then you're doing a "set".

'Coloring book' followed by 'cups and balls' would be considered a "set".

When you do 2-3 close up effects you're either doing a "set".

When doing a stage/illusion show 2-3 effects could be the entire "show/act".
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Quote:
On 2010-05-30 10:35, paulierc wrote:
I'm sorry to be a pest, but another thing has crossed my mind. It seems to me that a general rule of thumb is that a routine is made of 2-3 smaller effects; if so how can a single effect (i.e. "Coloring book", "cups and balls") be considered a routine?

I think Jaz has summed it up pretty well. To clarify further, an Ambitious Card or Cups & Balls becomes a routine because several individual, although often similar effects are combined to creat one performance piece. Take Cups & Balls for example. The balls are first produced. Then they may penetrate one or more cups. Balls put in pocket appear back under cups. Cups may penetrate other cups. Your wand may go through a cup. The final loads appear under the cups. All of these, and many others, are different effects that can be combined into one cup & ball routine.

To really muddy the waters, longer routines are often broken into phases or small groups of effects to facilitate learning or to enhance the spectator's experience.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Jim Oliver
View Profile
Regular user
Las Cruces, New Mexico
141 Posts

Profile of Jim Oliver
Hi Paul,

You did not state in your post how old you are, because this could be important.

What I would recommend is to change your way of THINKING about a trick. Don't
change the trick but change the psychology behind the trick.

There are some really good books out there that deal with this aspect of magic
that you MUST learn before you go too far.

Dariel Fitzkee: Magic by Misdirection

Henning Nelms: Magic and Showmanship

Dariel Fitzkee: The Trick Brain

Tommy Wonder: The Books of Wonder (Awesome)

Etcheverry: The Magic of Ascanio - The Structural Conception of Magic

Juan Tamariz: The Five Point in Magic

Juan Tamariz: The Magic Way

Darwin Ortiz: Strong Magic

Darwin Ortiz: Designing Miracles

The reason that your age is important is because most 10 & 12 year old students
won't understand these books. The thinking is very heavy. If you are an adult
it will come easier.

Jim
Ed Marlo rules
oOMagiiCOo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of oOMagiiCOo
Hi,

I have only been doing card tricks for about a year and I have managed to make up some of my own routines by combining tricks together that I knew. Hope this helped,

Alex
paulierc
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of paulierc
Again thank you everyone. I have some valuable advice that is already starting to make sense, and help.
Jim Oliver- I'm already working through Strong Magic (2nd time); and it is extremely helpful. I'm also trying to find some of those other books. My age is 24.

Again everyone, thank you for all your contributions and time.

Paul
Jim Oliver
View Profile
Regular user
Las Cruces, New Mexico
141 Posts

Profile of Jim Oliver
Hi again Paul,

I have found that L&L Publishing is my only source for books on magic.

I can't say if they have the Fitzkee books or not, I bought mine way back in
the dark ages, but I can say for sure that they do have the Books of Wonder.
I strongly advise you to get these as they are some of the best works out there
on THINKING and CONSTRUCTION of magic that you will ever find.

They also carry the Ascano books. Also great thinking and very well constructed
card routines.

Of course the other books listed are only a small sampling of what is available.

If your into card magic you can't go wrong with anything Marlo, Elmsley, Ortiz,
and many others.

One more thing, please don't let the names scare you. Sometimes people get the idea
that Marlo's stuff is too difficult, but I can assure you that all of these titles
have a wide range of material that goes from easy to medium difficulty to very hard. Just take your time and don't rush it and don't give up.

Jim Oliver
Ed Marlo rules
oOMagiiCOo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of oOMagiiCOo
If you are doing card magic I would definately recommend getting first the Card Collegue Boooks. These will give you an excellent grounding in magic sleights. I would then recommend moving onto the books of Steve Forte which are good as you get more advanced.

Hope this helped.

Alex
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Routine help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL