The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Color changing plumes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Professor DoDad
View Profile
New user
Cleveland GA
83 Posts

Profile of Professor DoDad
Hey everyone,

Several years ago I bought a color changing plume set that worked off magnets. So 6 different plumes are in a tube and the handle is magnet. You just switch handle as you pass the plume through.
I am looking for another one. I love the way it works. Anyone know who made these? Can't seem to find one.
Thanks so much!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have never heard of such a color changing plumes as working with this method. Does your instructions have a manufacturer on them?

I used Google search engine and found them listed at Diamond's Magic for $125.00. No picture, so you may want to Email them if they really have them available.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
They were an import that was supplied by Fun Inc.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Professor DoDad
View Profile
New user
Cleveland GA
83 Posts

I can't find any of my instructions. I paid around $125.00 for them. That might be it wmhegbli. I will check with Fun and see.
Thanks!!!!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I did not find anything on Fun Inc. site. Sorry! That usually means not longer made or imported.

This points out a couple of things pros have made it a policy to do, always buy a back up of magic you use constantly. People think that magic products are available forever. They are not, they are just flooded on the market and that is it. Everyone made their money and it is on to the next "hot" item.

I have been saying for years, keep your instructions, without them, the trick is worthless, keep in a plastic bag with the item when not in use, keep a file of the instructions for props you are using.

With today fabulous scanning to PDF scanners, why not keep a copy on your hard drive and transfer to CD or DVD media. If you have the time take a picture of the prop or download the pic that got you to purchase in the 1st place, and store with instructions. That way you have all the info to hopefully find it again.

Items maybe available, but to find the actual manufacturer is near to impossible.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will take this computerization filing a step further. If you use Filemaker Pro, first it is cross platform (mac or IBM) you can add photos, videos, scans and almost anything to the file.

Imagine pulling up a file with a prop, that not only has the directions but a video of the routine. Also it can help to put values on things for insurance or when that time your heirs or you dispose of things.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Professor DoDad
View Profile
New user
Cleveland GA
83 Posts

Yeah! I keep all my stuff. I had bought this 8 years ago. Never used until about a year ago. Just fell in love using it. Now I am thinking, dang I need a back up.
GREAT idea on scanning instructions. I will have to do that.
Thanks guys for your help.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Professor, I bought 3 sets of those plumes several years ago, and I have been looking for more! My routine requires 3 sets, so I have ne backup sets either. I got mine at Hocus Pocus and they were discontinued soon after I bought them. I forget who made them, but if I am not misrtaken they were called, "Ultimate Color Changing Plumes".

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, now I am getting confused again! The Color Changing Plumes usually has like 5 Plumes that change color. Is this only a one or 2 Plume item? How many Plumes do you get with this version.

I did find a Magnetic Color Changing Plume in my search. DoDad did you Email Diamond Magic for information, or is the price not acceptible.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Did you have any luck, Professor DoDad? If so, how was the quality and where did you purchase it from.

I'm looking for another set myself. I had bought mine from Hocus-Pocus (which is where I think Regan got his as well, if memory serves me). The feathers on the one I have are looking a little on the shabby side I guess they must have used chicken feathers on these).... although the tube is still in great condition. It also cost about $125 about seven or eight years ago. I seem to remember Abbott's Magic selling a similar set a few years ago but I couldn't find it on their website.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I'd call Paul Gross at Hocus-Pocus and see if he can locate a set.
He is great to work with and has tons of estate stuff that he hasn't even listed yet.
That might be a lead.
Good Luck!!
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I'll give that a try, Jef. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jimmy
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
They were distributed by Fun Inc.. I was never impressed with them but that's what makes a horse race. They have been discontinued. You only hope is to find an unused set that the chicken feathers held up on.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
What I like about the m******c color changing plumes is that a single plume changes color four times. I had thought (but have not yet done) of adapting the change tube as part of a Pavel Change Tube where a silk could be placed into the tube prior to the color change and then having the plume change color.

A few years ago, I have saw a magician (can't quite remember who it was) who had a set of your color changing plumes, Richard. They are truly a thing of beauty. I think it was around the time I had just received this set. No comparison as far as quality. I wish you made a m******c color changing plume set. C'est la vie.

Jimmy
Al Leach
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Al Leach
Hi Richard,

Do you know of any sites that have applications for magicians for download?

Thank You
Al
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You might find some sites through SAM talk. It all too advanced for me. I don't have an Ipad or Iphone and have no desire to. My computer and software does what I need it to. I get tired of all the updates which force you to get a newer computer.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

Jimmy, I will not be making the M******c plumes. I think it is a lousy trick and a terrible rip off of Marhsall's color changing plumes. There is not a logical sequence to the routine. Regan may have developed something by using three sets. I was offered to buy some of these from Fun Inc. and I declined.

The original Levante plume trick changed colors 3 times. Marshall came up with his method that fooled a lot of people. Of course, it was immediately ripped off by dealers in India and other areas. But when they ripped it off, they did not make it correctly so I usually end up selling a properly made original set to magicians after they get tired of chicken feathers.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Yeah, I never thought you would make m******c plumes, Richard. I know clearly how you feel about this trick. It was just wishing out-loud (LOL).

Jimmy
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I understand. I am very protective of Horace Marshall's original method which has been so widely ripped off. And to be quite honest, I still think it is the best idea on color changing plumes to date.

They are longer, fuller and have a logical routine that allows at least three applause cues.

But I understand your preference. Not a problem.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The best color changing plumes set I ever had was made by Stephon Johnson about 1980. Oddly, the stems were made from reject fiberglass fishing rods!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mrdream
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of mrdream
Here we can found this object
http://www.accademiamagica.com/product_i......s_id=269
is a italian magic shop
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Color changing plumes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL