The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic Painting pros and cons? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cabin fever
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cabin fever
I’m curious as to what the pros and cons are to sending the black and white to the birthday child in the mail ahead of time and then have them help you color it in at the show?

Seems to me that it is an awfully big thing to send in the mail and with more community mailboxes these days the parents would be forced to go to the post office to retrieve it?

Also thinking the hazards of a kid holding onto it for any length of time and it ending up being destroyed or colored in by the time you get there?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have never heard of anyone mailing the artwork to the customer beforehand. Where did you hear that suggestion?

Also, what version are you speaking of? The John Breeds' version, or the version that Dazzling Magic makes, or a different version?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
It seems to me that you already have the cons pretty well figured out. I can't really think of a good reason to do this. What would you gain from it?
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
cabin fever
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cabin fever
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 09:44, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I have never heard of anyone mailing the artwork to the customer beforehand. Where did you hear that suggestion?

Tim Shoesmith, Magic from Mayhem.
Quote:
Also, what version are you speaking of? The John Breeds' version, or the version that Dazzling Magic makes, or a different version?

- Donald

Tim made up his own version of the John Breeds painting.
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 10:12, Scott O. wrote:
It seems to me that you already have the cons pretty well figured out.

LOL!

Thanks, but not by a mile. I was purely speculating some of the things that could possibly be a flaw in doing something like this, weighing the pros and cons and looking for somebody who might post that has done this very thing on a regular basis.

Tim does state that every once in a while a child will forget the painting or color it in but he has an out already in place in case this happens.
Quote:
I can't really think of a good reason to do this. What would you gain from it?

Tim states he does it for a few reasons (the pros)...

-He sends it along with a letter stating why he is sending it. In the body of the letter he states what day he will arrive thus letting the parents know that he hasn’t forgot about the party. He makes sure it arrives a couple days before the party.

-He likes the idea of a child getting something unexpected in the mail seeing as kids rarely do.

-He also believes it packs quite a wallop as the child brings it to the party, “they” color it together, and at the end he writes the child's name on it. According to him, parents have on quite a few occasions stated the painting had stayed on their wall for years.

It seems to me that it might also be kinda cool to have the child talking about it to their friends/siblings before the party. Additionally, it also seems to me you could have your name somewhere on the painting as a lasting reminder.

However, thought I’d post to see what everybody else thought.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Being honest the birthday child is already excited as it's birthday, presents, friends and .. a magician. I might send them a card or some pics before hand, but not the prop I'm going to be using.

Often when you get a magic painting you only get one or two B&W copies, but a 100 of the coloured in one (New Style magic Painting.) I give out and sign the latter.

Using John Breed's system (which I also have)the B&W version is on acetate so can't be handed out. A SECRET, additional, gimmick presents the kid with the finished card to take home. Buy his book for more details.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 07:55, cabin fever wrote:
I’m curious as to what the pros and cons are to sending the black and white to the birthday child in the mail ahead of time and then have them help you color it in at the show?

Seems to me that it is an awfully big thing to send in the mail and with more community mailboxes these days the parents would be forced to go to the post office to retrieve it?

Also thinking the hazards of a kid holding onto it for any length of time and it ending up being destroyed or colored in by the time you get there?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

When I read this post, I told my parther Jim Gerrish that this sounded like something he used to do "back in da day." Indeed it was. He has now pulled it out of his notes and included it in his Kid Show Magic section on my site as "Coloring Card."

You are not sending an expensive prop to the birthday child, but a simple line drawing black and white Birthday Card that you make yourself, either by hand or by printing it out on your computer.

The effect does NOT use any of the usual acetate methods of transforming the drawing into a fully colored work of art during the show. It is no relation to John Breed's Visible Magic Painting. It is a very simple, and therefore very deceptive, easily built "printing press" prop you can make in a jiffy. All right, maybe two jiffies if you're all thumbs.

I remembered Jim's effect because he still has people come up to him on the street and tell him they remember when he performed at their birthday party years ago, and they still have the birthday card they made together by magic. It really has a long lasting effect on most kids.

Because it is the size of a regular birthday card, there is no problem mailing it. "Outs" are given if the child forgets to bring the card to the show, or if the child has already colored it in. It has all of the "pros" and none of the "cons" you mentioned.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
cabin fever
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cabin fever
Quote:
On 2010-06-14 04:02, Spellbinder wrote:
When I read this post, I told my parther Jim Gerrish that this sounded like something he used to do "back in da day." Indeed it was. He has now pulled it out of his notes and included it in his Kid Show Magic section on my site as "Coloring Card."

You are not sending an expensive prop to the birthday child, but a simple line drawing black and white Birthday Card that you make yourself, either by hand or by printing it out on your computer.

WOW! This sounds great Spellbinder, thanks.

On a side note the drawing that Tim Shoesmith sends out is a simple black & white line drawing just as you have described but MUCH larger then a birthday card. Therefore, one of the “cons”(?) of having to send something that big in my mind is it being able to fit in a community mailbox.

Your birthday card sound terrific.
Quote:
The effect does NOT use any of the usual acetate methods of transforming the drawing into a fully colored work of art during the show. It is no relation to John Breed's Visible Magic Painting. It is a very simple, and therefore very deceptive, easily built "printing press" prop you can make in a jiffy. All right, maybe two jiffies if you're all thumbs.

Spellbinder, I liked the look of Tim pulling out the drawing slowly in presentation, very magical the way it went from black & white to colors. Can yours do the same? If not can you describe how the effect looks in presentation or is that a no-no?
Quote:
Because it is the size of a regular birthday card, there is no problem mailing it. "Outs" are given if the child forgets to bring the card to the show, or if the child has already colored it in. It has all of the "pros" and none of the "cons" you mentioned.

Wow, sounds terrific.

Thanks Spellbinder.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
No, this is not John Breed's "Visible Painting." The magic takes place in your imagination and the effect is fully described in Jim's description on my site. However, Jim does describe a variation where he shows the colors arrive on the drawing one by one. If you wish this "Overkill" of the effect (as Jim calls it) you can stop after using up the magic in the red crayon, for example, and show that all the red parts of the drawing have been colored in... and so on.

But if you want John Breed's Visible Painting effect, then you have to put up with the problems you and others have noted.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic Painting pros and cons? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL