The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Something I've never seen before... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Why was I not aware of this routine?

A small box with three switches on it and a light bulb. The performer shows switches 1 and 3 do nothing and that 2 switches on the light. When the spectator tries. It is light number 3.

The spectator can never get it correct.

There is no invisible moves or hidden switches. Everything is above board.

It's not much of an effect or a scam but it's a hell of a lot of fun.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
It works via de Bruin or Gray's code (not sure which is which).
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Nicholas...As with most everything, this is a very old effect. The lights and switches are not gaffed. It's just the order you turn the switches on and off is what makes this work.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Oh yes- I'm aware of the method. (c***** c******) I'd just never heard of it before.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Does anyone know that name of the box?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Wellington switch board?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
It's very similar but the one I saw looks more like a monte. Three switches and one bulb rather than four switches and four bulbs.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Three Button MONTE by Suds
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
In todays world of remote control TVs, DVD players, etc does anyone really find this as a viable effect?

I can see nothing magical or mystical about this at all. However that is just me. It may work for some.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I agree - weak magic but a certainly has a lot of potential for a con game routine.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The essence of a con game as a demonstration is the clarity, simplicity and fairness of the challenge. If you want to make Fast and Loose entertaining, you should start by looking at the real game and what it would take to make a spectator want to bet. If he wants to bet, he is interested and hooked on the presentation.

Anything that takes away from his willingness to bet detracts from the entertainment value of the exhibition. For example, a Fast and Loose layout with three or four loops is going to increase the complexity and odds against the spectator, therefore reducing his willingness to bet actual money, and reducing his interest in the game correspondingly. One wants the sucker to think that he is always just on the cusp of figuring it out, not feeling hopeless and confused.

I don't think anyone would ever bet on this type of con game as it obviously gives too much control to the operator, even if we have no idea what that control might be...

This electronic monte might be an interesting novelty, but never a real con or a believable exhibition of a real con.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I agree - it's not a real con game or a particular good magic trick.

I see it is as fun, entertaining piece to drop between other games when running bunko booths etc.

With proper routining, you could certainly get the spectator the feel of being 'on the cusp of figuring it out'.

It is most certainly a puzzle and a novelty, but I really feel like it could be entertaining in the right hands.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Something I've never seen before... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL