The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Sugar gliders (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xrudyreelx
View Profile
New user
south jersey
54 Posts

Profile of xrudyreelx
Ive been thinking about using sugar gliders in a stage act. Does anybody else use them or know if they would cooperate.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Having just read up on what they are, I would think they are to small for stage work. They would be okay for a stage Cups and Balls routine like in the old days or as Paul Daniels has done at some magic conventions.

The nice thing about using animals such as birds is that they help in the productions. They want to perch and seek the highest point, such as your finger or the perch (sometimes even higher, panic time).

How were you thinking of using them, what kind of trick?
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
OH GOD NO! DON"T GET A SUGAR GLIDER!!

I've worked in pet stores and worked with a lot of types of pets and they are by far the most difficult I've encountered. They are noisy, messy, many don't like to be handled, they need a specific diet, they have no control over their bladders, and unless you get two of the or spend every waking moment with them they can become depressed and mutilate themselves.

Another thing to consider is that they are marsupials and tow things go with that.
1. They're not related to any other pets so you'll have a hard time finding a vet.
2. They're pouch animals meaning they'll make themselves at home in a load chamber and will refuse to leave it.

I don't recommend these guys as pets let alone performance animals. They will not cooperate!

Unless you want something that requires the commitment you'd give to a child stay away.
xrudyreelx
View Profile
New user
south jersey
54 Posts

Profile of xrudyreelx
So Alexo, tell me how you really feel. Lol, thanks for the heads up.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I must agree with Alexo with most of his points, and he has experience with them. I did a small search when you 1st posted as I never heard of this animal.
So if your interested, go here to read about them.
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/sugarglid......ders.htm
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
If sugar gliders are nectar eaters then yeah, you do NOT want to perform with them.

Nectar eaters as a rule spray liquid fecal matter at not quite-regular intervals.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
I own 2 sugar gliders and having these wonderful critters I wouldn't suggest using them in magic acts! they are very unpredictable and they have to be REALLY bonded to you! sorry to burst one's bubble here but having these critters myself they are loving fun pets! they eat fruits and veggies like we do and birds do! they have a NECTOR juice which I prepare for them <pet store's recommendations>. and they are on a pellet diet as well! THEY ARE NOT NOISEY! unless you don't give them attention and they will bark! the crabbing sounds often heard is for when they are frightened, scared or something is wrong with them etc. I JUST LOVE THEM! their cage has to be big enough for them to bounce around and play! they are what I call a miniature flying squirrel when given ample room they will glide from one area to another! they are marsupials with a pouch just like a kangaroo! they are NOCTURNAL!
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Cool. Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I was thinking about purchasing one a few years ago. I still never purchased one to this date. I was thinking about making one appear. I would train her to glide to a lower area. If I ever purchase one in the future, it will be white to match my other pets.
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
Dynamike please do some research on the gliders! they are very unpredictable, they are nocturnal, and require a special diet! and they have to be REALLY bonded with you! I got my little guys back in august and I handle them a lot and pet them through the bonding pouch and they are NOT quite bonded to me yet! one is still feisty and crabs at me alot! when they are licking me they also nip! and they are very FAST if one should escape! they are cute and all but bonding is not that easy! When properly bonded they will not want to leave you! if you want to talk about this further feel free to send me a PM! other than that they are just awesome!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I gotcha. If I ever get one I will have to wait until I get my goffin trained first. I am sure it will be a long time.
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
Oh one more thing I forgot to mention! research the internet! they are illegal in california, PA is not issuing permits anymore and few other states are illegal!
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
I still stand by my previous statements. You can put a square peg into a round hole and as much as I love animals there are many I feel flat out don't belong on stage and sugar gliders are one of them.
I'm also against using baby chicks but that's another story.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Sugar gliders (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL