The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hobson's "Thimple Thimble Trick" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Lately I have been using a routine that has been put together and sold by Jeff Hobson. It is based on an old Ken de Courcy routine. Jeff calls the routine “Thimple Thimble Trick”.

The routine starts with one thimble (red) which is vanished and then undergoes a color change (to white). A second thimble (red) is introduced (supposedly the first thimble) and then the two change places a couple of time (jump hands/fingers) and end with both being the same color (both white - another color change) only to have both instantly change back to the original color (red - a third albeit double color change) and shown as being the only two thimbles used (hands open and clearly empty except for two red thimbles).

The routine has a lot happening in a short period of time. It plays for less than a minute. Everything happens chest high (actually neck high if you will).

What you get is the thimbles necessary and clear printed and photo illustrated instructions. Honestly, that is all you need. DVD instruction would be over kill in this case. Plus Jeff has a video of the actual performance on his website.

http://www.hobsoneggbag.com/

The set-up is simply to have the thimbles in your pocket. Reach in and take one out and start the routine. There are no steals and no holders are necessary.

The degree of difficulty is easy. This is truly beginners stuff in terms of digital dexterity, aka, finger-flinging. There is one move in the routine albeit done a number of times. It is a variation of the move necessary for any thimble magic.

You will learn the basics of this routine in about ten minutes. It will take some rehearsal time to make it yours. Sit and play with the props and walk through the routine while watching TV. In a short while you will be doing the routine/moves without thinking.

Now it will take a bit of personality and some showmanship to truly put the routine over. While it comes with a suggested patter line, I found it easy to adapt my own story (similar but different). With just a little thought and some mugging and acting (mime) skills it can even be done silently to music.

Jeff says he uses it as an opener for family shows and frankly that is a good place for it. Clarke (the Senator) Crandall was a well known comedy magician back in the day (died in 1975). He said that you should open your act showing some skill by doing manipulations of some sort (cards, coins, thimbles).He said that it proved to the audience that you had the requisite abilities and the comedy didn’t minimize you in their eyes. That is a good and valid point. Jeff Hobson’s “Thimple Thimble Trick” fits that bill nicely.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Thanks for posting Harry.
Jeff has a performance video of this on his website for any of you who are interested.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I mentioned (as does Jeff in his advertisement and on his instruction sheet) that the routine was based on an earlier Ken de Courcy routine. The reference, for those who just have to know is: de Courcy’s “Uncle Henry’s Thimble Trick” published in 1979 by Supreme Magic in a Lewis Ganson magic teach in series “A Fantasy in Thimbles – Werry’s Fantastic Thimbles”. Those who have the booklet or who have bought the L&L reprint and bound Teach in Series can review it.

What you’ll find is something different in terms of handling (the slight used and the method of displaying the thimbles). Jeff also brings the action where a performer needs it, from the waist area (de Courcy’s version) toward the upper chest and face area with fingers displaying the thimbles during the routine pointing upward toward the face. It is a subtle difference that keeps the performer the center of attention. Jeff also gives a much more streamlined story line (and less dated). The effects within the routine are the same but the rhythm is a bit faster paced.

In all you’ll see how Mr. Hobson took something hidden in a booklet, modernized it, and made it easier to perform.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Where is the demo of this? I didn't see it. Thanks.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
I think this may be the link you need

http://www.hobsonschoicemagic.com/
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Thanks Meyegr.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Harry, thanks so much for turing us onto this. I check performer websites often for updates, but missed this gem.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
I ordered this on August 4 and I have not received anything. I cannot find information on how to contact Jeff. I was on his website and there is no information there. Does anyone know how to leave Jeff a message?

Thanks- RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-08-19 10:09, RNK wrote:
I ordered this on August 4 and I have not received anything. I cannot find information on how to contact Jeff. I was on his website and there is no information there. Does anyone know how to leave Jeff a message?

Thanks- RNK

Jeff's a Café member, so you can PM: jeffhobson

Also try e-mail: hobsonschoice@mac.com
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I love Jeff's stuff, but to me this is almost too "thimple" - okay, simple. The action is very brief and a little underwhelming. I'm still convinced that the Rosini routine is hand's down the best "eye candy" when it comes to the thimbles (4 thimbles visually jump across to the other hand one at a time). And it's actually not that difficult to do.

Now Jeff's salt pour - genious.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Farrell Dillion's routine is the best thimble sequence and as a running gag in his act it is brilliant.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2010-08-19 10:09, RNK wrote:

Thanks- RNK

( hobsonschoice@mac.com )
I too ordered this and it took "some" time to get. Jeff was performing on a cruise ship but he did answer my emails inquiring about delivery. When received there was a problem with the thimbles which I took care of with a piece of sandpaper although I over did it. (Jeff was very responsive to my emails though)
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Harry Murphy always tips the good stuff. Glad I stumbled onto this thread.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
This is good indeed. Can play for all ages and is very fun to perform. Not to mention always get such great reactions. This is a definate winner.

RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Forgot to mention,as Harry states, you do need to put together a good story to make this work good. But when you do- this works REAL good!

RNK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hobson's "Thimple Thimble Trick" (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL