The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Zombie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Does anyone do this great trick anymore?
This is one of the least talked about effects.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I have done it periodically. I have one zombie that is painted to look like a fishing bobber and another that was decorated to look like a snowball. Each were part of a storyline in shows that I have done in the past. My standard silver zombie is loaded with spring flowers. I love the zombie under the right circumstances.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I saw it used for comedy value last week in a club competition twice, to poke fun at one of the judges. One musical routine used a duck, then the music changed to YMCA and six ducks came up suitably dressed, and finally loads of baby swimming ducks.

I also saw a German magician use a silver zombie ball in February on stage using lots of FX and skill. It was the most magical effect used that evening.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
As one who loves and performs many of the classics of magic, I must say I have never done the Zombie. I love the effect but fear kids will blurt out the secret as they love to do.

I understand there are many of you having great success with 'The Thing' which I believe works with the same principle.

Anyone want to comment on the mixing of the Zombie with unruly children?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
I have Bill Abbott's "The Thing". I love the angle proof aspect and the apperance of an "invisable force"/"entity". It took me some getting used to though. I also use the lexan box and the cloth for other effects prior to doing "The Thing". This gives me a logical reason for the props to be there.

I use the box first as a prediction case, suspended on stage, and the cloth for any number of hank related effects. I put the box away under my roll-on, and as I wrap up an effect using the cloth, I reach behind the case to retreive the box, I switch out the cloth for "The Thing".

Since the box and the cloth were already handled by Specs, there's no heat on the props, as the audience does not know what I'm about to do next.

I set the box up on the case and go into my script for "The Thing". After the routine is over. I leave the box on the case and get another prop that uses the cloth and make the swap leaving "The Thing" behind. and I'm clean as the Specs can again handle the cloth and the box.

JM2CW

Cheers
Frank

ps

The kids love it.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Can't recommend "The Thing" highly enough. No more "ball on a stick" handling.

Steve
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
I do zombie on a regular basis - really I don't care what the magic community thinks.

The folks that pay the bill like it so I do it. After all I am the monkey and they are paying me to dance.
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
Whether the audience knows how it’s done or not; if it’s done well and fluidly, it’s still an awesome effect.

You just need to give the ball a character and have it “perform” in character to suit the routine, whether it’s a dramatic, comedic, or dance style routine.

JM2CW

Cheers
Frank
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I love the Zombie. I've been doing it since junior highschool and its one of my favorites to perform. I understand the Masked Doofus did a reveal, but these things happen from time to time. People have short memories and a good Zombie routine is beautiful in of itself even if you know how its done.

I think most people who do it seriously try to make it their own. My classic routine ended with a disappearance of my "miracle ball". Ive moved to a larger professional ball recently but Im having to rework the disappearance. (It wont fit in my table wells, I may have to build either a big servante or a new table top with a bigger well Smile More importantly, I could use my hand to make the shape of the miracle ball under the cloth for misdirection and I'm not sure that will work for a larger ball... )
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I have performed Zombie in every platform and stage show I have done since 1985. It always gets spontanious applause and wows from the audience. Go to my facebook page and watch the video. it appears and then disappears during thr routine. I don't put in the more fancy moves as it does not flow with the routine that I do.

I also have the thing and peform it regularly as part of my birthday party routines. (read my review in the linking ring for this effect) It is NOT a zombie. it is a spirit type effect (think Glorpy). even though the methods are similar they are none the less two different types of effects. (Kudos to Bill abbott for creating the thing it is a great effect, the platinum version is worth the money)
Michael
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I don't do Zombie (maybe I should!)- but I remember when I was a child it was THE trick I loved most when I saw it done on the television. I was always completely transfixed.

Mark
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
Quote:
On 2010-07-08 23:41, Michael Taggert wrote:
SNIP
(Kudos to Bill abbott for creating the thing it is a great effect, the platinum version is worth the money)
Michael

Michael

Is there any difference in The Thing it's self from the original that I have now? Lighter would be great. I'm not that interested in the new fold up box, as I use the chest style box from the original Thing for other effects. I'm trying to justify the additional $200.00. If there is a big difference in the Thing it's self that's one thing (no pun intended). If there's no change, or very little change I can't see dropping money again on it. Don't get me wrong, as I love what I have now.

If not I'll check with Bill about the cost of just purchasing the new disc.

Cheers
Frank
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
There is a pocket version now of the Thing.
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
I too bought the Thing, platinum edition and plugged it into my show very soon after. It has now evolved into Bobo the Invisible Flying Hamster. I introduce him at the very beginning of the show by bringing out the box. I tell everyone to be careful because he bites. I then have everyone say hi to Bobo. The box stays on stage the whole time and after every couple of routines I will pick up the box, talk to Bobo, and make the audience say hello again. Everyone has a different reaction to the mention of the invisible hamster, some roll their eyes, some giggle, some call me out on my blatant lie! All in good fun with the kids as I try to defend my claim. Then I finally take him out and receive all the giggles, shrieks, etc. My favorite move is "removing" the hank, losing Bobo, and then finding him again over the head of a spectator. I heard a kid explain some of my magic to his mom just the other day and the first thing out of his mouth after she asked "How was it?" was "It was so much fun, he had an invisible hamster." Hahaha.

-Grace and peace
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I prefer the Thing for parlor. The Zombie for stage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Zombie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL